Author Topic: If Lebron stays put and Cavs draft point guard Sexton or Young....  (Read 3411 times)

Re: If Lebron stays put and Cavs draft point guard Sexton or Young....
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 04:13:10 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Who cares who they draft...im 100%certain LeWhine leaves.
The next time we face off against him will not be the ECF but the Finals... He will be the most expensive mercenary yet.. He will go to either Houston or LA... PG already has one foot in with the Fakers and its just a formal announcement is required... Now PG may not be enough as Lequeen needs another piece.. If SA trades Kawhi to the Fakers for Ingram and Kuzma and even Ball then Lebron at point forward teaming up with Kawhi and PG.. How does that sound.. Sounds way better that Lebron, CP3 and Harden.

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 07:56:18 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No matter where he goes there is only basketball to go around that is why I don't think he will be that dangerous in Philly or LA or Houston.  Time is starting to rear it's ugly head in his life a little and no man beats father time.

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 08:14:15 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I doubt any pg they draft this summer would be ready to start in the Finals. If Lebron stays, I think the smart move is to find a team that wants to deal a pg for the #8 pick. There are rumors Schroder wants out of Atlanta. If that's true and he's already halfway out the door, is Atlanta willing to take on some of Cleveland's dead money to get #8?

That might be Cleveland's best case scenario.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 08:34:19 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
My real concern is that someone like Porter falls to the Cavs at 8.  He could be a monster for them.

That said, I've been saying for awhile, I think Lebron might just punt his decision another year and give Cleveland one more shot.  The only way that he couldn't just punt is if he wanted to go to Houston (both Philly and LA should be able to sign him in 2019 and that summer he will have more options). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 09:12:42 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Personally I think the only way Lebron stays in Cleveland is if the Cavs can pull of a miracle and flip this pick for a legit star. The only play who comes to mind is Leonard and I just cant see a Cavs trade package that the Spurs would except.

Aside from that Lebron leaves and the Cavs go into a new direction as a franchise. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 10:12:45 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
If I'm Cleveland, I'm monitoring the situations in Washington, Portland, and Toronto. Most people believe those teams will break up their star backcourt duos and hope to fetch assets for one of them (and maybe fill other needs and open up some cap room going forward).

It's possible Lilliard, Wall and/or DeRozan are moved, but I think it's more likely they stay, and it's one of Beal/McCollum/Lowry that's dealt. Cleveland could dangle #8, a young guy like Osman, and maybe a bad contract (salary), and see if that gets them one of Beal/McCollum/Lowry.

Frankly, even if Lilliard or another alpha is made available, it will definitely cost #8 and Kevin Love (at the minimum), which might be some improvement but not much considering you traded away a 20/10 big man on a reasonable 22M contract.

I do find it hard to believe Lebron stays AND Cleveland simply drafts with the pick. I think either Lebron stays and they package that pick for a star, OR Lebron leaves and the Cavaliers simply draft with the pick.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 10:28:22 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If I'm Cleveland, I'm monitoring the situations in Washington, Portland, and Toronto. Most people believe those teams will break up their star backcourt duos and hope to fetch assets for one of them (and maybe fill other needs and open up some cap room going forward).

It's possible Lilliard, Wall and/or DeRozan are moved, but I think it's more likely they stay, and it's one of Beal/McCollum/Lowry that's dealt. Cleveland could dangle #8, a young guy like Osman, and maybe a bad contract (salary), and see if that gets them one of Beal/McCollum/Lowry.

Frankly, even if Lilliard or another alpha is made available, it will definitely cost #8 and Kevin Love (at the minimum), which might be some improvement but not much considering you traded away a 20/10 big man on a reasonable 22M contract.

I do find it hard to believe Lebron stays AND Cleveland simply drafts with the pick. I think either Lebron stays and they package that pick for a star, OR Lebron leaves and the Cavaliers simply draft with the pick.

If Cavs got Mccollum ...that would stink

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 10:30:44 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

If Cavs got Mccollum ...that would stink

It would, or even if they got Beal. Although the fit *could* be in question, IF they made it work that would suck too.

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 05:06:01 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

CLE has doesn't have a ton of cap space unless LeBron leaves.

Rodney Hood              $2,386,864                  
Jose Calderon             $2,328,652                  
Jeff Green                   $2,116,955

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/CLE.html

Losing James nets them $35,607,968   but without him who fears what they will do?

Pray tell what assets do they have to bring in an asset via trade?

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 05:11:43 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Losing James nets them $35,607,968   but without him who fears what they will do?

I am far from a cap expert but I heard that even if he leaves they have "NO" cap space. They are way over the cap. Anyone that understands the cap want to chime in here?

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 05:46:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I am far from a cap expert but I heard that even if he leaves they have "NO" cap space. They are way over the cap. Anyone that understands the cap want to chime in here?

Yeah, that's true. If Lebron leaves they are still at around 107M in cap space I believe (someone tweeted it around the deadline when CLE made all those trades, but I forgot who). And that's already assuming Jeff Green and Rodney Hood aren't coming back next year (they are UFA's this summer).

Frankly, if Lebron leaves I'd look to simply draft with #8 (maybe package some assets to trade up if you want), then trade Love and see if Clarkson's 11M could be traded too (maybe some team views Clarkson highly).

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2018, 05:59:36 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Yeah, that's true. If Lebron leaves they are still at around 107M in cap space I believe (someone tweeted it around the deadline when CLE made all those trades, but I forgot who). And that's already assuming Jeff Green and Rodney Hood aren't coming back next year (they are UFA's this summer).

Frankly, if Lebron leaves I'd look to simply draft with #8 (maybe package some assets to trade up if you want), then trade Love and see if Clarkson's 11M could be traded too (maybe some team views Clarkson highly).

Honestly Cavs are better off re-building now... LeBron is not going to be able to beat GSW alone.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2018, 06:05:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Honestly Cavs are better off re-building now... LeBron is not going to be able to beat GSW alone.

To be fair, once Lebron leaves, that franchise is essentially done.

Even if they simply make the Finals to lose, they are still getting revenue and who knows... if they trade for a star this summer, it could give them a chance next year (even though Sixers and C's are rising... reality is they still have Lebron).

Plus I wonder if maybe GSW's reign could be ending soon. Some teams in the West are rising and Houston will no doubt be back (possibly San Antonio too if Kawhi comes back). Golden State is still the team to beat in the NBA but they don't look as invincible now IMHO. They do match up real well against Cleveland though (and KD now essentially mitigates Lebron's production).

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2018, 06:11:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

To be fair, once Lebron leaves, that franchise is essentially done.

Even if they simply make the Finals to lose, they are still getting revenue and who knows... if they trade for a star this summer, it could give them a chance next year (even though Sixers and C's are rising... reality is they still have Lebron).

Plus I wonder if maybe GSW's reign could be ending soon. Some teams in the West are rising and Houston will no doubt be back (possibly San Antonio too if Kawhi comes back). Golden State is still the team to beat in the NBA but they don't look as invincible now IMHO. They do match up real well against Cleveland though (and KD now essentially mitigates Lebron's production).

Golden State could really be good for 3-4 years. That being said, Cleveland couldn't really compete with Boston next year if they run it back, and maybe not even Philly if they add a few vets. A team like the Pacers or Bucks could also easily lap them. I guess i could see them doing what moranis said and trying to run it back for one more year, I am just not sure if Lebron wants to risk one more year of his last 2-3 years as an allstar on a team that would be at best 2nd or 3rd best in his conference for an owner he dislikes. Even if they get Kemba walker or something like that, it is still worth than hayward, horford, irving, tatum, brown, rozier etc by quite a bit.

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2018, 07:02:35 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Lebron doesn't care about young players, though, or at least that has been evident over the last few years in Cleveland, so I don't see as to how getting one of those guys would be enough to entice him to stay with the Cavaliers.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/lebron-james-says-oklahoma-freshman-trae-young-better-go-pro-after-this-season/

This is not true.  And he actually likes Young.  He was apparently pushing for the Cavs to trade for Tatum for Kyrie this past offseason

He doesn't care for Anthony Bennett or Andrew Wiggins.  There is a difference

Between Bennett and Wiggins? I couldn't agree more, lol, but beyond that, have you forgotten about when Lebron called Shabazz Napier his favorite player in the draft which resulted in Pat Riley trading up, iirc, to get the former Husky in order to appease James as the latter was about to be a free agent, only for Lebron to leave, anyway? I'm not saying that that was the reason for him departing from South Beach, of course, but still, and once he returned to Cleveland, I'm sure that part of the deal was conditional upon the Cavs trading the top pick (Wiggins) for established talent, not to mention the fact that Cleveland also had Joe Harris on their roster from 2014-15 until January of 2016, only for them to trade him, cash, and a 2017 second rounder to the Magic for a 2020 second round draft pick, who then promptly waived him that very same day, which is a little surprising, imo, seeing as to how Harris had played pretty well for Cleveland during his rookie year, and iirc, there were even questions during the 2015 NBA Finals concerning as to why he wasn't getting any playing time, especially with all of the injuries that had been suffered by the Cavs by that point, and look what he's been able to do since that time. As a catch-and-shoot guy who does almost all of his damage without the ball, dude would have been a perfect fit next to Lebron, either as a reserve or as a starter, but because Cleveland wasn't willing to wait for a guy like that to develop, they simply cut him loose in favor of established veterans, so yeah, Lebron has consistently shown that he really has no time for young guys, lol ;D.