Author Topic: FA Target - Joe Harris  (Read 4698 times)

Re: FA Target - Joe Harris
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 08:03:47 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Unfortunately we have no cap space, so we are not permitted to sign any free agents. 

Go back and concoct a way to trade for good shooting Joe Harris.

Ever heard of the MLE?

So who goes so we can use the MLE and stay under the luxury tax line?

Being over the tax line would still allow us to use the tax-payer's mini MLE, which will be ~$5 million next season. Unless Harris is looking at significantly more than that, we could sign him without issue (and if he is looking for significantly more than $5 million a year, I would stay far, far away)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 08:04:03 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Unfortunately we have no cap space, so we are not permitted to sign any free agents. 

This is not true. There are plenty of exceptions that we can use this summer the sign players. There's the MLE (tax-payers, which is ~$5 million, or regular, which is ~$8.5 million but hard caps us at the tax apron), the Bi-annual exception (which would also hard cap us), non-Bird/early-Bird/Bird rights (which allow re-signing a player despite being over the cap), first round pick exceptions (which allow signing any player you took with a first rounder and still own the draft rights to), and minimum salary exceptions, which allow you to sign a player for two years at their minimum (it can be any minimum from rookie to 10+ year vet).

Being above the cap limits our options, but it does not prevent us from signing players. Even being over the tax line still allows us to re-sign players, sign minimum salary players, sign our draft picks (including draft-and-stashes), and use the tax-payer's mini MLE

All true. What we have to decide, though, is what the use the exceptions for. If we go chasing Gary Harris, that appears to mean we don't have the MLE to resign or replace Aron Baynes. To me, that is a much, much more important need than a backup wing scorer. So, if we are using the MLE on a Harris-type player, where is our 20-minutes a game, big-body 5 coming from? I like Theis, but he's not big enough for the role.

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 08:05:57 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If we need outside shooting, especially in the playoffs, you do realize we are adding Hayward who shot 41%+ in his last post season and Kyrie who is at 41%+ from three in his career during the playoffs.

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 08:09:54 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
The concept behind this idea is flawed.

The Cs add two 40% 3 point shooters next year in Irving and Hayward. Combine that with Brown (almost 40), Horford, and Tatum, and the Cs might have the best shooting team in the NBA.

This also moves Rozier to the bench, who is normally a pretty good shooter as well.

It's safe to assume that Ojeleye will get more consistent from 3 (PJ Tucker type?), Yabusele will get more reps, Theis will be back, Morris will be back, etc.

There might not be a non-shooter on the Cs next year if Smart moves on to another team.

All adding Harris would do is make the Cs a worse defensive team.

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 08:36:09 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

Ever heard of the MLE?

So who goes so we can use the MLE and stay under the luxury tax line?

Being over the tax line would still allow us to use the tax-payer's mini MLE, which will be ~$5 million next season. Unless Harris is looking at significantly more than that, we could sign him without issue (and if he is looking for significantly more than $5 million a year, I would stay far, far away)

I believe his point was that the FO knows they'll be over the cap in 19-20, and will stay under it this year to avoid the repeater tax.

We'll have to use our MLE and any small trades for big men. We have almost none and Al is almost 33. Signing a perimeter player doesn't make a lot of sense because if everyone is healthy, minutes are already scarce.

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 07:28:42 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
on the cheap, why not?  :D

he could eat up a lot of regular season minutes like Belinelli does and keep others fresh.

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 07:46:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Every time I watch him he hits offensive boards hard. Could see us targetvhim for bench help.

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 07:55:26 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
If Smart leaves, Celtics bench will need defensive help.

#1. Indiana 94.9 opp. ppg.
#2. Celtics 100.7 opp. ppg.

Harris looks like a solid offensive player...who is not a defensive player. I have always wondered if Ainge/Stevens would add a true bench shooter.

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 08:13:40 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I just can't see using the limited assets we have on a guard, unless we're not resigning Smart.  Also after watching poor defenders like Bellinelli get abused in the playoffs, I'm not sure I want to see him on the floor in meaningful minutes.

Do you take minutes from Brown, Irving or Rozier so he can play?

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2018, 12:17:36 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I'm going to rehash this thread because I still believe that a consistent shooter off-the-bench is something we do lack. The following are Harris' numbers so far this season:

FG% 54.8
3PT% 58.7 (on 5.1 attempts per game)
True Shooting % 71.4

For comparison, here are Rozier's:

FG% 37.3
3PT% 39.3 (on 3.1 attempts per game)
True Shooting % 48.3

I do think that come January 15th, the day Harris is eligible to be moved, we should look to trade Rozier and Yabusele for Harris. I realize that Rozier is the superior talent, but I do question his fit on our team since he's being asked to be effective in limited minutes/opportunities. Rozier appears to be the kind of guy that needs to play a healthy dose of minutes and be heavily involved in the offense to be effective. That opportunity is just not going to happen on this team.

As for Harris...He just turned 27 and is signed through the 19-20 season on a descending deal that will only pay him 7.6M next season. He's a player that doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective and, like Hayward, moves extremely well off-the-ball in working off screens and setting up defenders. He's a knockdown catch and shoot guy and his spacing alone will help out our offense. Just looking at his style of play and I think he would be the type of player that would excel in Stevens' perimeter oriented, with tons of off-ball action, heavy motion offense.

I mean just take a look at this video and see the type of quality shots he's getting while working within the offense and compare that to the shot selection of Rozier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU_Yw49mNrE

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2018, 01:24:56 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
why didnt we sign Larkin? Larkin does not get hurt and we beat the Cavs.

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2018, 02:11:25 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Larkin seems fragile.  He did get hurt.  He’s probably a little better than Wanamaker though.

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2018, 03:09:04 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
has wanamaker even played yet?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2018, 03:10:17 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
has wanamaker even played yet?

six total minutes

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2018, 07:07:34 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Larkin seems fragile.  He did get hurt.  He’s probably a little better than Wanamaker though.
Is was a salary /cap issue I don’t remember the details.
We were not allowed to give the min or something like that.