Author Topic: Guys, it's time to admit the Cavs won trade season  (Read 5667 times)

Re: Guys, it's time to admit the Cavs won trade season
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2018, 02:27:44 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
They got better but LeBron had to play 95mins in the last two games....... OK!

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2018, 04:25:33 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
HAHAHAHAHAHA

So wait. Would the OP trade Kyrie for Nance, Hill, Hood and the 8th pick?
- LilRip

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2018, 05:10:46 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
HAHAHAHAHAHA

So wait. Would the OP trade Kyrie for Nance, Hill, Hood and the 8th pick?
Duh!  ;D

That’s an obvious win ::)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2018, 06:25:58 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I'll be the first to eat crow.

Turning Isaiah and Crowder into Nance and George hill was the move of the year.  Meanwhile Kyrie ended another season in street clothes.

The proof is in the proverbial pudding.   

I think getting Hill was a bonus for them, he certainly affected the Celtics series.  The rest of those guys will eventually be playing in China, so no.

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2018, 07:17:59 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Larry Nance averaged 4 points and 4 rebounds this series. Jordan Clarkson shot 30%. Rodney Hood fell out of the rotation completely.

Hill was a smart pickup for them but the difference makers among the Cleveland role players were msotly the guys that were there already: Thompson, Green, and Korver.

This.

Also, the Cavs traded a 1st round pick and took on the contracts of Hill and Clarkson which run about $31.5M/yr through 2020 - that is horrible! I get that they made the Finals, but it really had nothing to do with their new guys. I just hope it somehow convinces Lebron to stay in CLE because any team he goes to next year will be better than the one he is on now.

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2018, 08:03:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The only reason the Cavs won was LeBron.   Also, Jeff Green who was signed as a FA.

Their trades had really minimal effect on this series.  Kyrie is better than anyone they got or traded for....

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2018, 08:38:38 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I think the Cavs salvaged their roster with the follow up trades to get Hill, Clarkson, Hood, Nance for IT, Crowder, Shumpert, and whatever.  There is some contract baggage moving forward but I think their mindset was all in for one last LeBron run.  It is not a major upgrade for them but with IT essentially out, Hill was really important to stabilize the PG position and the rest took turns providing some contribution along the way.

If the OP is implying that this series somehow proved that Cleveland won the IT-Kyrie trade, I do not buy that conclusion.

Their salary ledger is not pretty.  They have $102M committed to Love, Hill, Thompson, Smith, Clarkson, Korver, Orsman, Zizic, and Nance.  Plus money for the #8 pick (unless they stash).  I predict that James is gone and the Cavs will follow the Sixers rebuilding model.

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2018, 08:41:13 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't know.  The Cavs seemed to have an easier time reaching the Finals last year. 

Just once I would like to see the Celtics play them in the playoffs with their best player available.

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2018, 08:43:16 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Larry Nance averaged 4 points and 4 rebounds this series. Jordan Clarkson shot 30%. Rodney Hood fell out of the rotation completely.

Hill was a smart pickup for them but the difference makers among the Cleveland role players were msotly the guys that were there already: Thompson, Green, and Korver.

This.

Also, the Cavs traded a 1st round pick and took on the contracts of Hill and Clarkson which run about $31.5M/yr through 2020 - that is horrible! I get that they made the Finals, but it really had nothing to do with their new guys. I just hope it somehow convinces Lebron to stay in CLE because any team he goes to next year will be better than the one he is on now.

Yep. Cleveland's books are a disaster. They have $62 million committed to Hill, Tristan, JR, and Clarkson for the next 2 years. Lebron leaving would be a disaster for all of the reasons why the best player of his generation leaving your team would be disastrous but Cleveland would also have no way out.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2018, 09:53:27 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

This.

Yep. Cleveland's books are a disaster. They have $62 million committed to Hill, Tristan, JR, and Clarkson for the next 2 years. Lebron leaving would be a disaster for all of the reasons why the best player of his generation leaving your team would be disastrous but Cleveland would also have no way out.
Hill's last year has a team option with only a very small amount guaranteed.  Smith is also only partially guaranteed that year (I'm not sure the guarantee portion).  And while Korver's contract isn't that big, he too is also only partially guaranteed that year.  So the 19-20 cap year isn't nearly as bad from a cap perspective for the Cavs, but next year it is awful for them. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2018, 10:17:29 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

This.

Hill's last year has a team option with only a very small amount guaranteed.  Smith is also only partially guaranteed that year (I'm not sure the guarantee portion).  And while Korver's contract isn't that big, he too is also only partially guaranteed that year.  So the 19-20 cap year isn't nearly as bad from a cap perspective for the Cavs, but next year it is awful for them.
1M guaranteed for Hill and I think less than 4M guaranteed for Smith. 

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2018, 09:18:01 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Wait so since those players are still playing its the move of the year? Its better than Indy getting Oladipo, George going to OKC, Kyrie going Boston,  Butler going to the Twolves? I honestly can not believe I just read this.

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2018, 09:28:36 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I don't know.  The Cavs seemed to have an easier time reaching the Finals last year. 

Just once I would like to see the Celtics play them in the playoffs with their best player available.

amen to that

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2018, 09:42:19 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
LeBron James' ultimate goal is to win his 4th Championship.

It's not happening against GSW.

His partner / wingman - is in Green right now - via a blockbuster trade.

I think, ultimately - we will be seeing a repeat of this

Remember those "NBA-Marvel" mash-up comics from a few years ago?

I don't believe LeBron James is staying in CLE if they lose again to GSW.

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2018, 09:49:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
LeBron James' ultimate goal is to win his 4th Championship.

It's not happening against GSW.

His partner / wingman - is in Green right now - via a blockbuster trade.

I think, ultimately - we will be seeing a repeat of this

Remember those "NBA-Marvel" mash-up comics from a few years ago?

I don't believe LeBron James is staying in CLE if they lose again to GSW.
Imagine if he went back to the Heat :o

That would be so chaotic I think I'd actually enjoy it.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)