Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 119983 times)

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]
« Reply #1125 on: July 23, 2018, 03:33:36 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Call the positions whatever you want.   Brad is still going to deploy 5 players at a time.

And they are still generally going to break down across two spectrums:  One of size/athleticism and the other of ball-handling/playmaking skill.    The size axis is driven by the opponents you have to defend while the skill axis is driven by how you want to attack.   Where each player fits in those two axis determines the roles they can play.

And Brad is still going to give more minutes to some players for each given role on the floor than he is to others.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #1126 on: July 23, 2018, 03:57:00 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I LOVE MAHHHHHHCUS!!!!
-Tommy Heinsohn
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #1127 on: July 23, 2018, 04:19:37 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I LOVE MAHHHHHHCUS!!!!
-Tommy Heinsohn

I agree with Tommy.

Smart is the heart and soul of this team.

His fierceness sets the tone for the team and holds others accountable both by word and deed.

Mahhhcus Smahhht!...........Winnahhh!

« Reply #1128 on: September 03, 2018, 08:13:02 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Well I was moving the week this happened and totally missed it! I'm not a big fan of Smart and I think Danny did an odd move here and overpaid. I assume it's because the cap is going to jump again? I don't see how we keep everyone going forward I mean if Smart breaks us on keeping Kyrie, Brown or Tatum I will hate him for life!

Guess we have to wait and see what happens going forward and watch the brick show.

« Reply #1129 on: September 03, 2018, 08:22:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Well I was moving the week this happened and totally missed it! I'm not a big fan of Smart and I think Danny did an odd move here and overpaid. I assume it's because the cap is going to jump again? I don't see how we keep everyone going forward I mean if Smart breaks us on keeping Kyrie, Brown or Tatum I will hate him for life!

Guess we have to wait and see what happens going forward and watch the brick show.
Maybe a trade chip ;)

On the one hand, I love his hustle, energy and leadership. But man his scoring is awful
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1130 on: September 03, 2018, 08:34:49 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Maybe a trade chip ;)

On the one hand, I love his hustle, energy and leadership. But man his scoring is awful

Yea I'm not trying to hate on the guy. I want him to succeed and he brings a lot to the table but IMO he's negatives equal his positives. If he comes in and just plays within himself and doesn't force shots I like him. But when he starts jacking up shots like he's the number one option out there it makes me want to throw up! With our roster he should be the 4th or 5th option and I'm not convinced he gets that.

« Reply #1131 on: September 03, 2018, 08:52:06 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Maybe a trade chip ;)

Yea I'm not trying to hate on the guy. I want him to succeed and he brings a lot to the table but IMO he's negatives equal his positives. If he comes in and just plays within himself and doesn't force shots I like him. But when he starts jacking up shots like he's the number one option out there it makes me want to throw up! With our roster he should be the 4th or 5th option and I'm not convinced he gets that.
He is by no means a perfect player.
But you don't go for a championship by removing the parts that got you to contention.
Marcus is still our best perimeter defender, he generally makes good decisions with the ball, is the longest-tenured Celtic and at a reasonable (tradeable) salary.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #1132 on: September 04, 2018, 10:22:41 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
There's a piece on CelticsBlog right now about who the closing5 should be and there's a nice paragraph about the end of Game 5 against Philly in there, where the Celtics were down by 2 with a minute to go:

Then Marcus Smart happened.

In the span of sixty seconds, he tied up the game on an offensive rebound put back, generated a turnover on the defensive end to ignite the Celtics’ secondary break, assisted on what would be the game-winning bucket, unintentionally made a free throw, and intercepted the 76ers’ hail mary to end the game.
https://www.celticsblog.com/2018/9/2/17803526/closers-boston-celtics-marcus-smart-al-horford-jaylen-brown-jayson-tatum-kyrie-irving-gordon-hayward

It really was an amazing sequence. The guy makes good things happen when he's on the court and inspires the players around him. So happy to have him back.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1133 on: September 04, 2018, 11:35:12 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I still believe he will turn the corner with his 3 point shooting...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.