Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 120100 times)

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]
« Reply #1065 on: July 19, 2018, 02:58:40 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Wonder what offers Smart had to have had available that Ainge decided to pay Smart $13 mill per AAV? Hope Danny didn't bid against himself but if he thinks thats a fair contract then so be it.

He paid fair value to lock up Smart long term instead of losing him as an unrestricted FA next summer. Smart had no other reasonable offers this summer, but in next summer's market he would likely get significantly more than what we just gave him.

Smart is totally worth it, a unique player who is the backbone of our team.

Completely agree. This deal will look great at this time next summer.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #1066 on: July 19, 2018, 03:35:20 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Wonder what offers Smart had to have had available that Ainge decided to pay Smart $13 mill per AAV? Hope Danny didn't bid against himself but if he thinks thats a fair contract then so be it.

He paid fair value to lock up Smart long term instead of losing him as an unrestricted FA next summer. Smart had no other reasonable offers this summer, but in next summer's market he would likely get significantly more than what we just gave him.

See, I mostly disagree. With this current contract, we are talking about giving him the equivalent of a $46M/3yr contract next off-season (if he had taken the QO this summer). Unless Smart makes epic improvements in any form of shooting the ball,  I would be surprised to see him get a greater than $15M/yr contract in UFA.

As I said earlier, the Cs are clearly banking on major improvement from Smart - which I suppose is possible - but it isn't like he has the growth trajectory of a Brown/Tatum like player.

While you’ve got the numbers correct, I think your assessment of what Smart could get is off.  The last time we entered a summer with tons of teams having cap room to burn, we saw all sorts of role players like or inferior to Smart get contracts in the $16-20 million per year range for 3-4 years (Evan Turner, Ryan Anderson, Ian Mahinmi, Timofey Mozgov, Luol Deng, Allen Crabbe, and so on).  The cap will be nearly 20% higher next year compared to two summers ago.  I personally think Smart’s low-end, barring injury or complete regression, was $15 million per year, and $20 million AAV wouldn’t have surprised me.  The combination of restricted free agency and limited teams with cap room really suppressed his value this summer, and the Celtics got a bargain.

Hopefully the forums will be around so we can revisit this topic next July when the role players get paid.

I actually really like Smart and am happy he is staying with the team. I just would have preferred to pay him that $15+/yr contract after he proved himself this year rather than banking on his improvement. Of course if he doesn’t improve, I would be even happier paying him a Roberson-like contract.

I figured we would keep either Smart or Rozier and I would have liked to have another year to look at both (and also see what contract offers each receives). This kind-of puts us out of the Rozier running unless we trade Smart next offseason to one of the many teams with cap space. As I mentioned earlier, I just hope his contract is seen as an asset and not a liability at that point.

I am also not overly excited about potentially losing Morris/Yabu/Bird for nothing. Him taking the QO would have prevented that (but apparently given us one less trade chip in Smart).

« Reply #1067 on: July 19, 2018, 03:38:11 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
And Avery Bradley got 2yrs/$25MM.  Very similar numbers but we get Smart for two extra years.

« Reply #1068 on: July 19, 2018, 04:40:29 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

And we're saying even though Marcus has one of the worst offensive ratings in the league the offense is somehow BETTER when he's playing? How in the world does this happen?
I am not saying it, it literally happened last year. When Marcus Smart was on the floor the Celtics offense was more efficient than it was when he was off the court.

This also occurred during the playoffs.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2018/on-off/

Now raw on/off numbers are tricky, but they do indicate that Marcus wasn't some disaster for the C's offense as you believe.

Yeah ... um ... you really have to take these numbers with a GIGANTIC grain of salt unless you actually dive into the details.

For example, you need to consider things like, when Marcus was on the floor about half  (48%) the time Kyrie was also on the floor.  For Rozier, Kyrie shared the floor with him on just 22% of the time.   

Sharing the floor more often with a guy who is not only an elite 60% TS high efficiency scorer but also a very high, greater than 30% USG scorer, will tend to do wonders for your offensive rating.

minutes poss   ORtg     DRtg    Net (per 100)
Marcus w/ Irving    837  1667   117.4   104.6    +12.8
Marcus w/o Irving   936  1827   103.8   103.5     +0.3

Rozier w/ Irving    531  1049   112.4   109.5     +2.9
Rozier w/o Irving  1900  3689   108.4   105.7     +2.7

It's important to really look at the details of who is sharing the floor with a player when looking at ORtg and DRtg and on/off number. 

I think it's important to look at actual 5-man data to see what it tells you.  The difficulty there is getting samples of sufficient size.

Marcus' most commonly used 5-man unit was with Kyrie, the two J's and Al.
Rozier's most common 5-man unit was with the two J's, Al and Aron.   Here is how they performed:

Unit                                  minutes  possessions   ORtg     DRtg    Net (per 100)
Kyrie+Smart+Jaylen+Jayson+Horford     140       281          116.2   112.7    +3.5
Rozier+Jaylen+Jayson+Horford+Baynes   163       306          111.0   100.3   +10.7

Unfortunately, the 'swap' units of Smart with the two J's, Al & Aron (just 45 minutes) and Rozier with Kyrie, the two J's and Al (just 49 minutes) are both too small to be useful as comparisons. 
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #1069 on: July 19, 2018, 05:31:37 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

And we're saying even though Marcus has one of the worst offensive ratings in the league the offense is somehow BETTER when he's playing? How in the world does this happen?
I am not saying it, it literally happened last year. When Marcus Smart was on the floor the Celtics offense was more efficient than it was when he was off the court.

This also occurred during the playoffs.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2018/on-off/

Now raw on/off numbers are tricky, but they do indicate that Marcus wasn't some disaster for the C's offense as you believe.

Yeah ... um ... you really have to take these numbers with a GIGANTIC grain of salt unless you actually dive into the details.

For example, you need to consider things like, when Marcus was on the floor about half  (48%) the time Kyrie was also on the floor.  For Rozier, Kyrie shared the floor with him on just 22% of the time.   

Sharing the floor more often with a guy who is not only an elite 60% TS high efficiency scorer but also a very high, greater than 30% USG scorer, will tend to do wonders for your offensive rating.

minutes poss   ORtg     DRtg    Net (per 100)
Marcus w/ Irving    837  1667   117.4   104.6    +12.8
Marcus w/o Irving   936  1827   103.8   103.5     +0.3

Rozier w/ Irving    531  1049   112.4   109.5     +2.9
Rozier w/o Irving  1900  3689   108.4   105.7     +2.7

It's important to really look at the details of who is sharing the floor with a player when looking at ORtg and DRtg and on/off number. 

I think it's important to look at actual 5-man data to see what it tells you.  The difficulty there is getting samples of sufficient size.

Marcus' most commonly used 5-man unit was with Kyrie, the two J's and Al.
Rozier's most common 5-man unit was with the two J's, Al and Aron.   Here is how they performed:

Unit                                  minutes  possessions   ORtg     DRtg    Net (per 100)
Kyrie+Smart+Jaylen+Jayson+Horford     140       281          116.2   112.7    +3.5
Rozier+Jaylen+Jayson+Horford+Baynes   163       306          111.0   100.3   +10.7

Unfortunately, the 'swap' units of Smart with the two J's, Al & Aron (just 45 minutes) and Rozier with Kyrie, the two J's and Al (just 49 minutes) are both too small to be useful as comparisons. 

Even 200 minute sample sizes are extremely volatile, so much so that they hold no real value as evidence of anything.  You don't get any sort of normalcy until you reach much higher minute totals.  This makes use of an individual 5 man unit negligible because you simply don't have enough evidence to decipher anything from them.

The Offense was better when irving was paired with Smart rather than Rozier.  The defense was also dramatically better when Irving was paired with Smart.  Irving is going to be on the floor a lot and it shouldn't even be a question as to who you would rather have on the floor with him. 

« Reply #1070 on: July 19, 2018, 06:09:09 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

See, I mostly disagree. With this current contract, we are talking about giving him the equivalent of a $46M/3yr contract next off-season (if he had taken the QO this summer). Unless Smart makes epic improvements in any form of shooting the ball,  I would be surprised to see him get a greater than $15M/yr contract in UFA.

As I said earlier, the Cs are clearly banking on major improvement from Smart - which I suppose is possible - but it isn't like he has the growth trajectory of a Brown/Tatum like player.

While you’ve got the numbers correct, I think your assessment of what Smart could get is off.  The last time we entered a summer with tons of teams having cap room to burn, we saw all sorts of role players like or inferior to Smart get contracts in the $16-20 million per year range for 3-4 years (Evan Turner, Ryan Anderson, Ian Mahinmi, Timofey Mozgov, Luol Deng, Allen Crabbe, and so on).  The cap will be nearly 20% higher next year compared to two summers ago.  I personally think Smart’s low-end, barring injury or complete regression, was $15 million per year, and $20 million AAV wouldn’t have surprised me.  The combination of restricted free agency and limited teams with cap room really suppressed his value this summer, and the Celtics got a bargain.

Hopefully the forums will be around so we can revisit this topic next July when the role players get paid.

I disagree with your reasoning. It was widely accepted during the free agency period of 2016 that role-players were being given enormous contracts due to the projected cap increase of the next season and in subsequent seasons.  Unfortunately for the teams now hamstrung by contracts signed by the likes of Ryan Anderson, Evan Turner, and Timofey Mozgov the cap only went up the next season and then plateaued.   Any team that signed Smart to a similar contract would be equally boned.

If another team wanted to pay Smart 15-20 million to be a defensive role-player I say let them. I see no reason why he's worth more than his rookie contract when he hasn't developed at all as a player (sorry but there's absolutely no statistical evidence that points to his improvement).     

« Reply #1071 on: July 19, 2018, 06:48:14 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

I disagree with your reasoning. It was widely accepted during the free agency period of 2016 that role-players were being given enormous contracts due to the projected cap increase of the next season and in subsequent seasons.  Unfortunately for the teams now hamstrung by contracts signed by the likes of Ryan Anderson, Evan Turner, and Timofey Mozgov the cap only went up the next season and then plateaued.   Any team that signed Smart to a similar contract would be equally boned.

If another team wanted to pay Smart 15-20 million to be a defensive role-player I say let them. I see no reason why he's worth more than his rookie contract when he hasn't developed at all as a player (sorry but there's absolutely no statistical evidence that points to his improvement).   

Yes.

Not to mention the fact that he injured himself punching out a picture frame, because his GF posted a video online of him smoking weed.

« Reply #1072 on: July 19, 2018, 07:48:20 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Yes.

Not to mention the fact that he injured himself punching out a picture frame, because his GF posted a video online of him smoking weed.

I don't recall seeing ANY picture of Marcus smoking weed. I think you are making that up. His GF was showing bag of weed but Marcus wasn't smoking it and he wasn't in the picture unless you have some other evidence.

« Reply #1073 on: July 19, 2018, 08:10:09 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

Yes.

I don't recall seeing ANY picture of Marcus smoking weed. I think you are making that up. His GF was showing bag of weed but Marcus wasn't smoking it and he wasn't in the picture unless you have some other evidence.

http://terezowens.com/marcus-smart-got-put-on-blast-by-an-insta-thot/

https://boxden.com/showthread.php?t=2573655

« Reply #1074 on: July 19, 2018, 08:10:30 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Dude, this team is really good now.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #1075 on: July 19, 2018, 08:14:20 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Yes.

Website tabloids and instagram models are notorious buttresses of truth in our society.

« Reply #1076 on: July 19, 2018, 08:17:27 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Yes.

I see what is said but I still see NO pictures of Marcus smoking weed or even being in weeds company. I am not trying to start an investigation here but it's hearsay and I see no evidence.

« Reply #1077 on: July 19, 2018, 08:18:25 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

Yes.

I see what is said but I still see NO pictures of Marcus smoking weed or even being in weeds company. I am not trying to start an investigation here but it's hearsay and I see no evidence.

https://mtonews.com/mto-shocker-nba-star-marcus-smart-just-got-put-blast-insta-thot-says-aborted-child-ratchet-video

« Reply #1078 on: July 19, 2018, 08:20:34 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Yes.

https://mtonews.com/mto-shocker-nba-star-marcus-smart-just-got-put-blast-insta-thot-says-aborted-child-ratchet-video

Anybody can write anything on any website but it doesn't make it true. Although she seems like a very credible witness  ??? ::) ::)

« Reply #1079 on: July 19, 2018, 08:24:26 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
According to Fred Katz of MassLive.com, Smart will be eligible for a $500,000 bonus each season if he meets certain body fat requirements. This basically means that if Smart stays in shape and doesn't somehow become overweight, he can make a half million more per season.