Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 119995 times)

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]
« Reply #1050 on: July 19, 2018, 01:36:09 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
not looking good for Rozier

Depends what you mean.  Rozier will have a better chance of getting a big deal for himself next summer.  If he’s a Celtic all season, either Kyrie leaves and Rozier gets paid by Boston, or Kyrie stays and teams aren’t afraid Boston will match an offer sheet because of payroll reasons.  Or maybe he gets traded this offseason to a team willing to extend him (not what I’d do, but certainly possible).

meant for chances of C's keeping him long term on a big deal, assuming Kyrie stays

« Reply #1051 on: July 19, 2018, 01:40:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Wonder what offers Smart had to have had available that Ainge decided to pay Smart $13 mill per AAV? Hope Danny didn't bid against himself but if he thinks thats a fair contract then so be it.

« Reply #1052 on: July 19, 2018, 01:46:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Wonder what offers Smart had to have had available that Ainge decided to pay Smart $13 mill per AAV? Hope Danny didn't bid against himself but if he thinks thats a fair contract then so be it.

I think it was largely an assessment of what Smart could get as an unrestricted free agent next year.  The Celtics are paying him an extra $5.4 million this year, and then essentially have him on a 3/$40 million contract going forward.  If they think that he could have easily gotten 3 years $48 million, or more, then it’s the type of deal that can be good for both sides.  The Celtics are paying more this year to save on him in the future, and Smart gets certainty.

« Reply #1053 on: July 19, 2018, 01:49:28 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The money seems a bit high, but probably won't feel that way by year 3 or 4.  I love smart, and am glad he is back.  He is such a unique player.  Even though he is a terrible shooter, he has such a big impact on winning that it is really hard to determine if this was an overpay or not. 

« Reply #1054 on: July 19, 2018, 01:56:04 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Smart's annual money on the 4-year, $52 million deal...

2018-19: $11,660,716
2019-20: $12,553,572
2020-21: $13,446,428
2021-22: $14,339,285

Salaries include a $500K likely bonus for body fat weigh in, per sources.

https://twitter.com/FredKatz/status/1020000716440653825

« Reply #1055 on: July 19, 2018, 01:56:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
52 million over 4 years is way too much for Smart. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1056 on: July 19, 2018, 02:01:32 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

He paid fair value to lock up Smart long term instead of losing him as an unrestricted FA next summer. Smart had no other reasonable offers this summer, but in next summer's market he would likely get significantly more than what we just gave him.

Smart is totally worth it, a unique player who is the backbone of our team.

« Reply #1057 on: July 19, 2018, 02:06:56 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Any news regarding the structure of the contract? Frontloaded, team/player option, whatever...

In any case, I fully expect us to trade at least one of Morris/Rozier/Yabu. Either during the offseason or close to the trade deadline.

We can't trade Rozier, at least until Kyrie is back in the fold long-term. Smart is not a starter.

Morris and Yabu are expendable however...
Assuming Danny doesn't plan to trade Smart, I fully expect us to trade Rozier.

We cannot keep both Smart and Rozier going forward. Unless we trade Rozier by the deadline, chances are that we 'll lose him for nothing next summer.

I'd say we'll trade Smart before Rozier. Rozier was the starting PG of an ECF team. Smart is a bench role player..

Wait, wait, wait - you do realize that Rozier only started because Smart also tore the thumb ligament the same game as Kyrie’s injury, right? If Smart was healthy, he would’ve been starting over Rozier, and it was solely for the sake of continuity that they continued to keep Rozier as a starter when Smart came back in the playoffs.

And further, by that logic Smart is also technically a starting pg of an ECF team (2017), as IT was injured for most of that series.  ;)

« Reply #1058 on: July 19, 2018, 02:08:24 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I would argue that in a couple of years it's gonna be considered a steal.

Remember Rodman playing for the Bulls in the 90's? The way I see it, Smart is our Rodman! I love this guy! Really happy he signed a long term contract!

« Reply #1059 on: July 19, 2018, 02:08:31 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Smart's annual money on the 4-year, $52 million deal...

2018-19: $11,660,716
2019-20: $12,553,572
2020-21: $13,446,428
2021-22: $14,339,285

Salaries include a $500K likely bonus for body fat weigh in, per sources.

https://twitter.com/FredKatz/status/1020000716440653825

Interesting. Would’ve thought that there would be shooting incentives or incentives based on defensive accolades, e.g. All-Defensive Team.

« Reply #1060 on: July 19, 2018, 02:13:34 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
not looking good for Rozier

Depends what you mean.  Rozier will have a better chance of getting a big deal for himself next summer.  If he’s a Celtic all season, either Kyrie leaves and Rozier gets paid by Boston, or Kyrie stays and teams aren’t afraid Boston will match an offer sheet because of payroll reasons.  Or maybe he gets traded this offseason to a team willing to extend him (not what I’d do, but certainly possible).

meant for chances of C's keeping him long term on a big deal, assuming Kyrie stays

We can still trade Smart next summer if that looks like the best move. I think Rozier's departure is far from certain.

« Reply #1061 on: July 19, 2018, 02:15:20 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I would argue that in a couple of years it's gonna be considered a steal.

Remember Rodman playing for the Bulls in the 90's? The way I see it, Smart is our Rodman! I love this guy! Really happy he signed a long term contract!

I can see this happening too. The cap is rising, Smart is young...there was a lot of griping about Avery Bradley's deal too.

« Reply #1062 on: July 19, 2018, 02:17:29 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Hopefully with this deal Smart can exhale a bit giving him security, and really improve without a new contract hanging over his head.  He’ll still have time to cash in on another sizable contract later on when he enters his prime.

« Reply #1063 on: July 19, 2018, 02:22:32 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

He paid fair value to lock up Smart long term instead of losing him as an unrestricted FA next summer. Smart had no other reasonable offers this summer, but in next summer's market he would likely get significantly more than what we just gave him.

See, I mostly disagree. With this current contract, we are talking about giving him the equivalent of a $46M/3yr contract next off-season (if he had taken the QO this summer). Unless Smart makes epic improvements in any form of shooting the ball,  I would be surprised to see him get a greater than $15M/yr contract in UFA.

As I said earlier, the Cs are clearly banking on major improvement from Smart - which I suppose is possible - but it isn't like he has the growth trajectory of a Brown/Tatum like player.

« Reply #1064 on: July 19, 2018, 02:34:27 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

See, I mostly disagree. With this current contract, we are talking about giving him the equivalent of a $46M/3yr contract next off-season (if he had taken the QO this summer). Unless Smart makes epic improvements in any form of shooting the ball,  I would be surprised to see him get a greater than $15M/yr contract in UFA.

As I said earlier, the Cs are clearly banking on major improvement from Smart - which I suppose is possible - but it isn't like he has the growth trajectory of a Brown/Tatum like player.

While you’ve got the numbers correct, I think your assessment of what Smart could get is off.  The last time we entered a summer with tons of teams having cap room to burn, we saw all sorts of role players like or inferior to Smart get contracts in the $16-20 million per year range for 3-4 years (Evan Turner, Ryan Anderson, Ian Mahinmi, Timofey Mozgov, Luol Deng, Allen Crabbe, and so on).  The cap will be nearly 20% higher next year compared to two summers ago.  I personally think Smart’s low-end, barring injury or complete regression, was $15 million per year, and $20 million AAV wouldn’t have surprised me.  The combination of restricted free agency and limited teams with cap room really suppressed his value this summer, and the Celtics got a bargain.

Hopefully the forums will be around so we can revisit this topic next July when the role players get paid.