Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 119962 times)

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]
« Reply #915 on: July 18, 2018, 04:15:43 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
what does this deal mean for cap situation next season and how much Irving can get?

These questions are best asked after a new deal is signed.
I'm sure Kyrie will get a max offer regardless.  If this deal happens, probably means more for rozier, morris, and others on the fringes.

« Reply #916 on: July 18, 2018, 04:26:45 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
what does this deal mean for cap situation next season and how much Irving can get?

I'm sure Kyrie will get a max offer regardless.  If this deal happens, probably means more for rozier, morris, and others on the fringes.

Yeah, for some reason I read Rozier and not Kyrie when responding to his question.  Barring something unlikely, the Celtics will give Kyrie a max offer.  Whether he accepts that offer or not will probably affect Rozier the most.

« Reply #917 on: July 18, 2018, 04:36:43 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Yeah, for some reason I read Rozier and not Kyrie when responding to his question.  Barring something unlikely, the Celtics will give Kyrie a max offer.  Whether he accepts that offer or not will probably affect Rozier the most.

The length of Kyrie's commitment will also play a role in what they do with Terry. If he just re-ups for a couple of years, Terry will also be retained. Or say 4-5 years, they might explore S&Ts.
Good PG's take so much time to develop properly, best thing is to keep Rozier..

« Reply #918 on: July 18, 2018, 05:00:12 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Terrific news!

glad to have our emotional leader back.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged topics]
« Reply #919 on: July 18, 2018, 05:23:01 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Trading Morris to someone and taking no salary back is doable...
Maybe, not much cap room out there currently.

I don't think its a priority though, if it was they'd have needed to salary dump faster. I think the team will keep Morris as a depth piece given their intention to contend this year.

Not much cap room, no, but there are also a few trade exceptions he’d fit into.  Depending where the final numbers are, moving Yabusele could also be sufficient.  A 4-year, $46 million deal could start at $10.3 million.

I don’t know why people are so quick to dump Morris just to stay below the tax line, he’s the type of player that can make a difference in the playoffs. The type that can score 20 off the bench in a Finals game to steal one.

If we can stretch Nader and move Yabu to stay under the tax, that’s definitely the way to go imo. I like Yabu and he was the what, 16th pick? But he’s buried in the depth chart and is still years away at best from being a regular contributor.

He wouldn't even be in the rotation in the playoffs if everyone is healthy. And honestly I think a more impactful weapon could be found in the buyout scrap heap in April. He is in no way essential to the team and is completely replacable

« Reply #920 on: July 18, 2018, 05:29:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I don't think its a priority though, if it was they'd have needed to salary dump faster. I think the team will keep Morris as a depth piece given their intention to contend this year.

Not much cap room, no, but there are also a few trade exceptions he’d fit into.  Depending where the final numbers are, moving Yabusele could also be sufficient.  A 4-year, $46 million deal could start at $10.3 million.

I don’t know why people are so quick to dump Morris just to stay below the tax line, he’s the type of player that can make a difference in the playoffs. The type that can score 20 off the bench in a Finals game to steal one.

If we can stretch Nader and move Yabu to stay under the tax, that’s definitely the way to go imo. I like Yabu and he was the what, 16th pick? But he’s buried in the depth chart and is still years away at best from being a regular contributor.

He wouldn't even be in the rotation in the playoffs if everyone is healthy. And honestly I think a more impactful weapon could be found in the buyout scrap heap in April. He is in no way essential to the team and is completely replacable

Oh, I think Morris would absolutely be in the rotation in the playoffs.  He’s replaceable, yes, but he’d be at worst the 9th man in a 9-man rotation, and maybe the 6th or 7th man depending on matchups.

« Reply #921 on: July 18, 2018, 05:51:17 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I don’t think so.

Maybe not 30mpg but he would definitely get time and he’s the type that can bang a few threes, couple mid-rangers and just like that a double-digit run off the bench. He can play pretty good defense and it can’t hurt to have extra depth.

What guys have panned out for us off the buyout scrap heap? Troy Murphy? Greg Monroe? Stephon Marbury? Nopeeee.

Plus, we may not be able to be buyers come February/March if we want to stay under the tax, so what’s he point of trading Morris to get under it just to hopefully find someone as good and go over?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #922 on: July 18, 2018, 05:56:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Question: would we be better, worse, or about the same if we traded Marcus without taking back salary, and signed Michael Beasley?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #923 on: July 18, 2018, 06:01:14 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

Morris is the first big swingman off the bench if everyone's healthy. If you dump him Semi is basically the only reserve swingman capable of filling the 3/4 spot, and I'm not at all comfortable with Semi being primary option off the bench.

Question: would we be better, worse, or about the same if we traded Marcus without taking back salary, and signed Michael Beasley?

I assume by Marcus you mean Morris and not Smart? Worse, Beasley doesn't defend at anywhere near the level of Morris, he'd get targeted over and over by the Warriors.

« Reply #924 on: July 18, 2018, 06:05:16 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker

If both scenarios keep us under the tax, I’d stick with Morris.

Beasley is the more volatile scorer, but I would trust Morris’ defense more. He’s comfortable now with his role and our system, whereas Beasley may not fit.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #925 on: July 18, 2018, 06:10:16 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker

I think Ainge hedges and holds onto Rozier as insurance in case Irving bolts. If that’s the case, we resign Terry at a pretty high number.

If Irving resigns at the max, we have to let Terry walk for nothing (unless we can facilitate a S&T, but those usually don’t come to fruition).

In an ideal world, since Smart is staying put, we would trade Terry for someone with more years left who can help us. But with Irving’s situation uncertain, we’ve got to keep TRIII.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #926 on: July 18, 2018, 06:24:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

If both scenarios keep us under the tax, I’d stick with Morris.

Beasley is the more volatile scorer, but I would trust Morris’ defense more. He’s comfortable now with his role and our system, whereas Beasley may not fit.

Sorry, no, under the assumption that Morris keeps us over the tax but trading Morris and signing Beasley gets us under it.

I think they’re close enough that swapping them would make no meaningful difference.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #927 on: July 18, 2018, 06:25:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Worse.

« Reply #928 on: July 18, 2018, 06:39:49 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
curious to see if there's a team or player option  :D

« Reply #929 on: July 18, 2018, 06:41:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Worse.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Michael+Beasley&player_id1_select=Michael+Beasley&y1=2018&player_id1=beaslmi01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Marcus+Morris&player_id2_select=Marcus+Morris&y2=2018&player_id2=morrima03&idx=players

Significantly so? Enough of a difference to justify the repeater tax a year earlier?  I don’t think so.  I doubt having Morris over Beasley would result in even one additional win.