Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 120080 times)

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged topics]
« Reply #795 on: July 12, 2018, 06:05:34 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I am surprised by this (willing to pay the tax for Smart).  I am surprised Ainge said anything one way or the other.

Per Chris Forsberg
ESPN Staff Writer
Signing Smart at anything more than the qualifying offer would almost certainly push Boston into the luxury tax this season, but Ainge suggested the team is ready to pay to field a title contender.

"It's my job to be fiscally responsible, but we will pay the tax," Ainge said. "We plan on being a taxpayer for sure."

Well, technically Danny didn't say that he was "willing to pay the tax for Smart".  He doesn't even say for sure that they plan on being a tax payer this coming season.  Just that they will pay the luxury tax and that they plan on being a taxpayer.

But that could mean next season.

It's typical Ainge.   Vague and non-committal.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #796 on: July 12, 2018, 06:10:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I am surprised by this (willing to pay the tax for Smart).  I am surprised Ainge said anything one way or the other.

Per Chris Forsberg
ESPN Staff Writer
Signing Smart at anything more than the qualifying offer would almost certainly push Boston into the luxury tax this season, but Ainge suggested the team is ready to pay to field a title contender.

"It's my job to be fiscally responsible, but we will pay the tax," Ainge said. "We plan on being a taxpayer for sure."

Well, technically Danny didn't say that he was "willing to pay the tax for Smart".  He doesn't even say for sure that they plan on being a tax payer this coming season.  Just that they will pay the luxury tax and that they plan on being a taxpayer.

That was my take, too. I get frustrated by the media’s lack of follow up. All we needed was a “This season?” Otherwise, the quote means virtually nothing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #797 on: July 12, 2018, 06:29:11 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Still alot of RFAs still out there..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #798 on: July 12, 2018, 07:13:30 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Per Chris Forsberg
ESPN Staff Writer

That was my take, too. I get frustrated by the media’s lack of follow up. All we needed was a “This season?” Otherwise, the quote means virtually nothing.

He was talking about this season though. There was a question before the comment.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #799 on: July 12, 2018, 08:14:57 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
At this point, the incentive for the team is the ability to trade him midsession. So avoiding the NTC on a 1-year QO, sign a 2-year with an opt out for a million over the QO, with a trade bonus.

Everybody wins.

The real lesson here kids is this:  when someone tries to hand you forty-eight million dollars, just take it.

« Reply #800 on: July 12, 2018, 08:48:14 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Per Chris Forsberg
ESPN Staff Writer

He was talking about this season though. There was a question before the comment.

I just watched the Ainge media scrum and I didn't get the sense Danny was saying he was willing to go into the tax this season. Said Cs would be taxpayers, but that's hardly a revelation. Would be amazed if Ainge would answer any question that pinned him down to a certain action.

Would also be amazed if Danny did go into the tax just to sign Smart. Trade or stretch someone to make more room under the luxury tax to sign Smart? Sure. Sign Smart and go into the tax by a few million? Not a chance in hell. That would be stupid financially and these guys aren't stupid.

« Reply #801 on: July 12, 2018, 08:56:09 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Per Chris Forsberg
ESPN Staff Writer

I just watched the Ainge media scrum and I didn't get the sense Danny was saying he was willing to go into the tax this season. Said Cs would be taxpayers, but that's hardly a revelation. Would be amazed if Ainge would answer any question that pinned him down to a certain action.

Would also be amazed if Danny did go into the tax just to sign Smart. Trade or stretch someone to make more room under the luxury tax to sign Smart? Sure. Sign Smart and go into the tax by a few million? Not a chance in hell. That would be stupid financially and these guys aren't stupid.

I maintain if they weren’t willing to go into the tax to keep Smart they wouldn’t have rushed to sign Baynes to a contract that’s more than most players of his ilk are getting this summer.  I’m sure it’s their preference to not go into the tax this summer, but I think they chose to put that option on the table with Baynes.

« Reply #802 on: July 12, 2018, 09:27:03 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Yeah, I totally agree.  I'm just trying to make some sense out of the pieces of info in the rumor.  It mentioned Lin as one of the pieces.  'Couldn't figure out how to do both Lin and Crabbe.

It's just a silly mental exercise in making the trade rules work at this point.  Very little of this rumor makes much sense from a basketball standpoint.

Lin and Crabbe are almost an exact match, salary-wise, for Carmelo. It's probably exactly the deal being considered. They'd give OKC some of the perimeter depth (and shooting) that they've lacked the last several years but the flip side of that is that they'd come with massive, record-setting tax payments (and Lin's an enormous health question mark). Ownership is probably trying to figure out whether they'd rather simply cut Carmelo loose and stretch the hit to save real money or whether they're all-in on Westbrook/George and want to convert Carmelo into actual on-the-court talent, albeit overpaid talent.

« Reply #803 on: July 12, 2018, 09:55:13 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

Per Chris Forsberg
ESPN Staff Writer

I like what Ainge's statement portends. They're going for it now, they want to win the championship this year. And if Smart would be an integral part of that then it'd be penny wise and pound foolish not to pay him a market rate-ish number just to avoid the tax by a few million and fend off the penalty for an extra year. Win now. This year.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:11:26 PM by Dino Pitino »
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #804 on: July 12, 2018, 10:15:42 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Per Chris Forsberg
ESPN Staff Writer

I like what Ainge's statement portends. They're going for it now, they want to win the championship this year. And if Smart would be an integral part of that then it'd be penny wise and pound foolish not to pay him a market rate-ish number just to avoid the tax by a few million and fend off the penalty for an extra year.

If not for the eventual team-busting repeater tax. Eventually, they will pay tax to keep their top 7-8. It's about dodging the repeated tax another year.

And Rozier/Jalen Brown/Tatum are all going to get paid much more than Smart, all while we hope Kyrie and Gordon are still here getting the max.

« Reply #805 on: July 12, 2018, 10:24:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Per Chris Forsberg
ESPN Staff Writer

I like what Ainge's statement portends. They're going for it now, they want to win the championship this year. And if Smart would be an integral part of that then it'd be penny wise and pound foolish not to pay him a market rate-ish number just to avoid the tax by a few million and fend off the penalty for an extra year. Win now. This year.
I think its poor fiscal management if you pay Smart so much you go into the luxury tax this year. And by that I even mean paying Smart to the point of being in the tax and not being able to dump enough salary before the end of the year to be out of the tax.

Yes, the one year of a small amount of tax won't kill you this year. But the repeater tax penalty 3 and 4 years down the road with big money going out to Irving, Brown, Tatum, and a resigned Horford on top of the salaries of Smart, Rozier, and some vets plus the high draft pick next year, means tens of millions of tax dollars that come one year earlier than they had to be.

Go for it this year but be fiscally intelligent and don't go over that luxury tax threshold this year. Those extra tens of millions of penalties coming one year earlier would all be due to giving a defensive minded, bench role player, that can't shoot a contract that was an major overpay.

Not smart, imo (pun intended)!!!

« Reply #806 on: July 12, 2018, 10:32:56 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Will we be paying tax next year if Kyrie walks? So both Kyrie & Smart could walk next year. Well at least it didn't cost the owners any tax money.

« Reply #807 on: July 12, 2018, 10:54:29 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I maintain if they weren’t willing to go into the tax to keep Smart they wouldn’t have rushed to sign Baynes to a contract that’s more than most players of his ilk are getting this summer.  I’m sure it’s their preference to not go into the tax this summer, but I think they chose to put that option on the table with Baynes.

I don't doubt that the option is technically on the table, but I assumed it meant that Ainge values Baynes more than Smart and was willing to lose Smart for nothing if it came down to it. I believe the tax really does matter to him and I have been preparing myself for the loss of Smart should another team step up and make him even a KO-type offer.

Ideally, I think Ainge would be psyched to bring back Smart at the QO, sign Bird to a Semi-type deal, and call it day. With so many guards on the roster, Ainge would better be able to determine who to keep between Smart/Rozier and if Bird is actually a viable replacement for either; all the while keeping down minutes (and perhaps values) for all of them.

Smart's intensity is infectious and he is a very unique player, but with Hayward's return as well as Brown and Rozier showing incredible improvement in 17-18 (not known when Smart was offered his extension last off-season), Ainge might not value him like he once did...especially without him showing much improvement and of course the infamous picture frame incident (I do not think this should matter, at all, btw).

« Reply #808 on: July 13, 2018, 12:52:48 AM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
I venture to guess that Smart's agent rubbed Celtics brass the wrong way during negotiations before this past season. When negotiations broke down, the quotes seemed as if the situation ended contentiously with Smart's agent offended that the C's didn't budge and Boston pulling their offer and sending them to a thin FA marketplace.

If Marcus wants the pulled offer, he's going to have come to the table on his own behalf (just in case there are any hard feelings between his agent and the C's) or take the QO and try to take advantage of the thicker marketplace.

« Reply #809 on: July 13, 2018, 01:20:08 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Was there ever a confirmation made public that explained the real reason for the picture punching incident in the LA hotel room ?  Lots of rumors circulated for weeks while Marcus healed from the bench. If even part of his reaction that nite was related to losing to the Lakers, I love that Marcus' heart is in the right place. I also appreciated that even though he could not play and had to feel a little sheepish about esentially injuring himself, every game - home & away - there he was, sitting on the bench yelling and supporting his teammates (#11 could take a few lessons from Marcus' dedication to team).

Most championship teams have that special tough guy who does a lot of the dirty work and makes important plays in the 2nd half of crucial games. These players also influence their teammates to have a tougher mindset.

We need to keep Marcus Smart long term and let him help us hang some banners !!
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce