Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 120009 times)

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged topics]
« Reply #900 on: July 18, 2018, 02:39:39 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Want Smart back. But also want enough to resign Kyrie and Rozier next season as well as maybe Al.
Willing to sacrifice rozier if we need to.

« Reply #901 on: July 18, 2018, 02:39:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
rather have Smart at 48 than ET at 70

« Reply #902 on: July 18, 2018, 02:40:55 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Next step should be to trade Rozier, preferably for a 1st rounder in 2020 (the potential "double draft"). You're about to lock up your other back-up PG, you've got other ballhandlers at other positions (especially Hayward at SF), and your cap will never allow you to re-sign Rozier and stay out of the repeater tax without dumping one of your elite players.

Only reason Danny doesn't do this is if he thinks the team has a legit chance to win it all this year, and one year of a solid backup PG in Rozier is more valuable than that future 1st. (I think they do have a chance at a title this year, but I'd say that future first, if you can get it, is still worth the last year of Rozier's rookie contract.)

Doubt they trade Rozier until they get Kyrie to re-sign.  Need his insurance. Bringing back Smart insufficient.

If Kyrie bolts, look for Celtics to target a PG with the SAC pick.
Problem is, the draft is in June and free agency starts on July 1st. By the time Kyrie signs his new contract, we will have already used the Sac pick.

« Reply #903 on: July 18, 2018, 02:42:53 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
1. I really believe Kyrie stays
2. That Kings pick is really nice to have
3. That Memphis pick is Nice to have
4. Having a young core of Tatum and Brown

Smart adds some teeth to the team.

« Reply #904 on: July 18, 2018, 02:48:12 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
Trading Morris to someone and taking no salary back is doable...
Maybe, not much cap room out there currently.

I don't think its a priority though, if it was they'd have needed to salary dump faster. I think the team will keep Morris as a depth piece given their intention to contend this year.

Not much cap room, no, but there are also a few trade exceptions he’d fit into.  Depending where the final numbers are, moving Yabusele could also be sufficient.  A 4-year, $46 million deal could start at $10.3 million.
I agree that morris is the likeliest target IF the team wants to stay under the tax line this year.  And while the team may want to keep Morris, would not be surprised if he became a malcontent and basically asked out himself. 

Trade exceptions would be an option but not sure which team has them?  As for trading to a team with space, it's Sac and who else? 

« Reply #905 on: July 18, 2018, 02:59:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I don't think its a priority though, if it was they'd have needed to salary dump faster. I think the team will keep Morris as a depth piece given their intention to contend this year.

Not much cap room, no, but there are also a few trade exceptions he’d fit into.  Depending where the final numbers are, moving Yabusele could also be sufficient.  A 4-year, $46 million deal could start at $10.3 million.
I agree that morris is the likeliest target IF the team wants to stay under the tax line this year.  And while the team may want to keep Morris, would not be surprised if he became a malcontent and basically asked out himself. 

Trade exceptions would be an option but not sure which team has them?  As for trading to a team with space, it's Sac and who else?

Dallas has the space if they renounce Yogi Ferrell.  I think the Hawks also have enough space, but I was away last week and missed some things.  Cavs, Blazers, Nuggets, and Hornets all have trade exceptions, and maybe a couple others that I’m forgetting.  Nuggets are conveniently $5.5 million under the tax and competing.

« Reply #906 on: July 18, 2018, 03:12:42 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Minutes for Mook will be tough to come by. He might be a short-timer here..

« Reply #907 on: July 18, 2018, 03:21:08 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

Minutes for Mook will be tough to come by. He might be a short-timer here..

It was a short term move regardless. If things go as planned he’ll be a luxury that can be traded to avoid the luxury tax for one more year.

I still think Rozier is the odd man out though. Ainge doesn’t let guys walk if they have any kind of trade value which he does.

« Reply #908 on: July 18, 2018, 03:35:13 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I don’t know why people are so quick to dump Morris just to stay below the tax line, he’s the type of player that can make a difference in the playoffs. The type that can score 20 off the bench in a Finals game to steal one.

If we can stretch Nader and move Yabu to stay under the tax, that’s definitely the way to go imo. I like Yabu and he was the what, 16th pick? But he’s buried in the depth chart and is still years away at best from being a regular contributor.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #909 on: July 18, 2018, 03:38:23 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

I don’t know why people are so quick to dump Morris just to stay below the tax line, he’s the type of player that can make a difference in the playoffs. The type that can score 20 off the bench in a Finals game to steal one.

If we can stretch Nader and move Yabu to stay under the tax, that’s definitely the way to go imo. I like Yabu and he was the what, 16th pick? But he’s buried in the depth chart and is still years away at best from being a regular contributor.

I hear you on Yab. The only counterpoint would be that he’s cost effective for a few more years, and might be more valuable as time goes along as a trade chip or bench guy that can fill Morris’s role.

« Reply #910 on: July 18, 2018, 03:51:20 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Only $450K of Nader's 2018/2019 salary is guaranteed, so would we even need to stretch that? Can we stretch it if we decline his team option?

« Reply #911 on: July 18, 2018, 03:56:41 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

Don't disagree that mook could be valuable.  But as I mentioned, I also think he may not want to be here if the playing time is not there.

« Reply #912 on: July 18, 2018, 03:56:59 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

Only $450K of Nader's 2018/2019 salary is guaranteed, so would we even need to stretch that? Can we stretch it if we decline his team option?

Demetrius Jackson was stretched  :D

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]
« Reply #913 on: July 18, 2018, 03:58:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
what does this deal mean for cap situation next season and how much Irving can get?

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]
« Reply #914 on: July 18, 2018, 04:00:58 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
what does this deal mean for cap situation next season and how much Irving can get?

These questions are best asked after a new deal is signed.