Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 120019 times)

Re: Marcus Smart at $12-$14 million per year?
« Reply #165 on: May 30, 2018, 11:32:01 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
If Irving and Hayward are going to be healthy longterm C's,  Smart is quite perfect on this team...

I agree. I love Brown, and he's going to be a huge contributor for our team. But ideally, you can slot Smart with the starting or bench unit, and he would still do remarkably well. I think Brown is better off starting, so it complicates issues, even though I think he could certainly feast on 2nd units.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #166 on: May 30, 2018, 11:56:50 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Is anyone willing to believe that Marcus still has room to develop a better three point shot? Or is it time to give up on that dream?

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #167 on: May 30, 2018, 12:00:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Is anyone willing to believe that Marcus still has room to develop a better three point shot? Or is it time to give up on that dream?

Lol

He is done developing

« Reply #168 on: May 30, 2018, 12:01:09 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Only real notable examples would be Kawhi and Patty Mills. Players who both didn't shoot well into their early seasons, and were meh in college.

I think at this point, Smart can be like Billups/JR. Smith, in that he'll always be up and down as a streaky shooter.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2018, 12:04:19 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
It's time to stop caring.  Are we worried about Kyrie's rebounding?  Are we worried that Tom Brady can't tackle?  Worried about Steph Curry's questionable goatee?  No.  They're bada$s winners, like Marcus, and it's irrelevant.

« Reply #170 on: May 30, 2018, 12:07:21 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I can see the Celts offering 10, 11, 12 million 3 year deal

Smart is likely looking for 15 average per season. 

Danny offers the above, Smart says no.  Danny signs him to a qualifying offer then goes from there

If another team offers 14 + .....  I can't see Danny matching. Wyc won't pay luxury tax for a super role player like Smart

Smart could be the 1st key (or semi key) player Danny loses for nothing.   AB with 1 year remaining - traded.  KG/PP with minimal years remaining - traded.  Rondo with 1 year remaining -traded.    IT4 with 1 year remaining - traded.
I agree with this analysis, but I hope we keep him.  I think Smart would be foolish to part with Stevens over a couple million.  Smart's talent is fully realized in Steven's system and that's not a guarantee with most coaches.

« Reply #171 on: May 31, 2018, 12:32:44 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Great point.  If you look at the teams with Cap Space - the only place I see looking to sign him for $14m per year would be Indiana.  With the cap as flat as it's been - there just isn't room for most teams (including any contender) to sign him.  I think we end up getting him at 4 for $40m.

It doesn’t matter what he thinks he’s worth at this time. It’s what the market thinks he’s worth. His thinking might also lead to him turning down smaller offers or him signing the qualifying offer. So it might lead to a Nerlens Noel type of situation. I’d love to retain him because IMO he’s the heart and soul of this team.

« Reply #172 on: May 31, 2018, 12:37:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
he may be disappointed

« Reply #173 on: May 31, 2018, 12:39:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Great point.  If you look at the teams with Cap Space - the only place I see looking to sign him for $14m per year would be Indiana.  With the cap as flat as it's been - there just isn't room for most teams (including any contender) to sign him.  I think we end up getting him at 4 for $40m.

It doesn’t matter what he thinks he’s worth at this time. It’s what the market thinks he’s worth. His thinking might also lead to him turning down smaller offers or him signing the qualifying offer. So it might lead to a Nerlens Noel type of situation. I’d love to retain him because IMO he’s the heart and soul of this team.
Or he will take the QO and take his chances next season.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #174 on: May 31, 2018, 01:00:32 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Great point.  With the Cap only going from $99m in '17 to $101m in '18 and then jumping to $108m next year, I bet we see a lot of guys sign qualifying offers to take advantage of the influx of cash that teams will have in 2019.

Or he will take the QO and take his chances next season.

« Reply #175 on: May 31, 2018, 08:36:12 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359

at this point, I think his shooting is what it is. He really hasnt improved in that aspect at all in his years in the NBA.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:56:07 PM by cman88 »

Re: Smart to ESPN: "i'm worth more than $14 mill a year" Goner?
« Reply #176 on: June 01, 2018, 06:15:01 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722

You know what happened to Curly Bill after that...............and I could see Marcus on another team getting ready to face Boston in the playoffs at some point in the future saying, "You tell the Celtics that I'm comin' and Hell's comin' with me !!"
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
"You tell the Celtics that I'm comin' and Hell's comin' with me !!

And then we would slack off him and watch him miss shots...

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Someone needs to reach out to Smart ASAP. Apparently he never got the memo "crack kills"!!

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
This may have been answered already here but I am curious about the tax issues.  Assuming the entire team came back, what is the number (in terms of dollars) that we can also have Smart on the team and avoid whatever tax situation we would prefer to avoid this year?  And is the number is not exact, what is the ballpark number?

Thanks.