Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 120939 times)

Re: Smart to ESPN: "i'm worth more than $14 mill a year" Goner?
« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2018, 03:32:27 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I honestly don't think Smart is in the future picture anymore.
Danny and Brad obviously shift to SIZE type of play.
Irving is the exception because he's just the best handler in the planet and a proven scorer.
Other than that, the team will be 6'7 to 7ft switchable big that can run the floor defend perimeter shoot 3s and can post in the paint or make layups. That's the recipe to win a title nowadays.
Smart is just not good enough in offense.
If Danny takes a small combo/guard, it will be for bench scoring or very small ball transition oriented BB (like what Spurs have with Mills e.g.)
Unless it's below 10mil a year, I think Smart is gone. Same as Rozier after next season probably.
Smart is unnecessary for us to have to win the chip, that is the bottom line.
He is not a starter level of player. Even though he can play like one majority of the time. His athleticism and shooting don't suggest major improvements as well.

I would sign him to a friendly deal if I could. To have him in case of injuries and to have a mid-size contract if a trade opportunity arrives. But I would also look to trade him within a year.

Rozier is our Mills, PG shooter that doesn't need to start. At least ATM he is.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2018, 03:52:07 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #137 on: May 29, 2018, 03:53:49 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2018, 12:34:02 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2018, 12:40:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He'll take his qualifying offer and then we'll see what offers he can get next summer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2018, 12:45:18 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I've been saying this for like three years, the Celtics aren't resigning Smart. 

Unfortunately he got injured at the worst possible time this year which prevented him from being tradable.

He'd be ideal playing next to Russell Westbrook or some other Ball Dominant guard who can carry an offense and just needs defenders around him.

« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2018, 01:16:06 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
The Celtics are one of the most talented teams in the NBA. There are probably 26 teams that are worse than the Celtics that should be willing to overpay Smart.

« Reply #142 on: May 29, 2018, 01:22:13 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He'll take his qualifying offer and then we'll see what offers he can get next summer.
Yup.

He'll either end up with the QO or some sort of compromise short term contract is my guess. I don't think he ends up getting an offer sheet that he's happy with.

« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2018, 01:46:47 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Sign him at whatever price the market dictates. If it's on the high side, flip him.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2018, 02:02:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The Celtics are one of the most talented teams in the NBA. There are probably 26 teams that are worse than the Celtics that should be willing to overpay Smart.
And not all of those 26 teams will actually be able to pay him under salary cap rules. Not to mention that defensive one-trick ponies like Smart don't move the needle for truly awful teams that need go-to guys.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2018, 02:14:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
How many teams are desperate for a guy like Smart?

Spurs, Hawks, Grizzlies ... there is a nice list.   While the Celts have an eye to make the finals, these teams would want nothing more than to make the playoffs and get past the 1st round.   Smart is the type of player/character that can help

Instead of overpaying for an ok talent like Otto Porter 20 plus million.   Its probably a safer investment to pay Smart 15 million for 3 years (maybe even 4 if it comes down to it).

I just can't see Danny/Wyc paying this to a "glue" guy when you have to worry about paying Kyrie, Brown (likely near max), Tatum (max) sooner than later .... plus need to worry about bringing back important pieces like Baynes etc

This is why Horford and his salary is tough is to swallow.  It means if affects to resign secondary/semi starting pieces like Smart, Rozier. 

At the end of the day

Celtics:  We will give 75 percent of what the market can.  Can you stay?  you are an important piece

Smart/Rozier:  So while you guys  are generous to pay/overpay Horford etc.   (and I think I'm just as important)  I have to take a paycut?  ...  thanks for everything, but I'm leaving.  Might be one of my last chance to obtain top dollars in my career.   

« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2018, 03:04:55 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Celtics:  We will give 75 percent of what the market can.  Can you stay?  you are an important piece

Smart/Rozier:  So while you guys  are generous to pay/overpay Horford etc.   (and I think I'm just as important)  I have to take a paycut?  ...  thanks for everything, but I'm leaving.  Might be one of my last chance to obtain top dollars in my career.

This seems accurate. I'm not sure about the actual #s, but I have to think that there are a couple of teams out there that will outspend the Celtics for Smart.

The Celtics shouldn't overpay Smart, and Smart shouldn't take a discount. He's young enough that he can make his money now then sign on with a contender after his next contract.

« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2018, 03:16:52 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73

This seems accurate. I'm not sure about the actual #s, but I have to think that there are a couple of teams out there that will outspend the Celtics for Smart.

The Celtics shouldn't overpay Smart, and Smart shouldn't take a discount. He's young enough that he can make his money now then sign on with a contender after his next contract.

Young guys always take the money.  Very few players get multiple big contracts.  Hometown discounts are given by veterans who place happiness and contentment over money, or who've already banked their cash.  Young guys go for the money.  Always.  Smart, Rozier will chase the money. Turner did, even though he played his best ball under Brad. 

Brown will. Tatum will.  The difference being that Ainge will match or just offer the max to these two.  The other two, they're gonna go for the money.  Even if its from the Kings or Nets.

« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2018, 03:38:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
delete

« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2018, 03:44:41 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The project cap/tax for next year is:

$101 million salary cap, $123 million for luxury tax.

I doubt there is a drop due to fewer playoff games like last year, both conference finals went to 7 games and were highly rated.