Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 120076 times)

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]
« Reply #1080 on: July 19, 2018, 08:24:30 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Wonder what offers Smart had to have had available that Ainge decided to pay Smart $13 mill per AAV? Hope Danny didn't bid against himself but if he thinks thats a fair contract then so be it.

He paid fair value to lock up Smart long term instead of losing him as an unrestricted FA next summer. Smart had no other reasonable offers this summer, but in next summer's market he would likely get significantly more than what we just gave him.

Smart is totally worth it, a unique player who is the backbone of our team.

See, I mostly disagree. With this current contract, we are talking about giving him the equivalent of a $46M/3yr contract next off-season (if he had taken the QO this summer). Unless Smart makes epic improvements in any form of shooting the ball,  I would be surprised to see him get a greater than $15M/yr contract in UFA.

As I said earlier, the Cs are clearly banking on major improvement from Smart - which I suppose is possible - but it isn't like he has the growth trajectory of a Brown/Tatum like player.

While you’ve got the numbers correct, I think your assessment of what Smart could get is off.  The last time we entered a summer with tons of teams having cap room to burn, we saw all sorts of role players like or inferior to Smart get contracts in the $16-20 million per year range for 3-4 years (Evan Turner, Ryan Anderson, Ian Mahinmi, Timofey Mozgov, Luol Deng, Allen Crabbe, and so on).  The cap will be nearly 20% higher next year compared to two summers ago.  I personally think Smart’s low-end, barring injury or complete regression, was $15 million per year, and $20 million AAV wouldn’t have surprised me.  The combination of restricted free agency and limited teams with cap room really suppressed his value this summer, and the Celtics got a bargain.

Hopefully the forums will be around so we can revisit this topic next July when the role players get paid.

I disagree with your reasoning. It was widely accepted during the free agency period of 2016 that role-players were being given enormous contracts due to the projected cap increase of the next season and in subsequent seasons.  Unfortunately for the teams now hamstrung by contracts signed by the likes of Ryan Anderson, Evan Turner, and Timofey Mozgov the cap only went up the next season and then plateaued.   Any team that signed Smart to a similar contract would be equally boned.

If another team wanted to pay Smart 15-20 million to be a defensive role-player I say let them. I see no reason why he's worth more than his rookie contract when he hasn't developed at all as a player (sorry but there's absolutely no statistical evidence that points to his improvement).   

Yes.

Not to mention the fact that he injured himself punching out a picture frame, because his GF posted a video online of him smoking weed.

I don't recall seeing ANY picture of Marcus smoking weed. I think you are making that up. His GF was showing bag of weed but Marcus wasn't smoking it and he wasn't in the picture unless you have some other evidence.

http://terezowens.com/marcus-smart-got-put-on-blast-by-an-insta-thot/

https://boxden.com/showthread.php?t=2573655

I see what is said but I still see NO pictures of Marcus smoking weed or even being in weeds company. I am not trying to start an investigation here but it's hearsay and I see no evidence.

https://mtonews.com/mto-shocker-nba-star-marcus-smart-just-got-put-blast-insta-thot-says-aborted-child-ratchet-video

Anybody can write anything on any website but it doesn't make it true. Although she seems like a very credible witness  ??? ::) ::)

I saw a screen shot of it at the time.

You guys are so naive.

« Reply #1081 on: July 19, 2018, 08:28:59 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Wonder what offers Smart had to have had available that Ainge decided to pay Smart $13 mill per AAV? Hope Danny didn't bid against himself but if he thinks thats a fair contract then so be it.

He paid fair value to lock up Smart long term instead of losing him as an unrestricted FA next summer. Smart had no other reasonable offers this summer, but in next summer's market he would likely get significantly more than what we just gave him.

See, I mostly disagree. With this current contract, we are talking about giving him the equivalent of a $46M/3yr contract next off-season (if he had taken the QO this summer). Unless Smart makes epic improvements in any form of shooting the ball,  I would be surprised to see him get a greater than $15M/yr contract in UFA.

As I said earlier, the Cs are clearly banking on major improvement from Smart - which I suppose is possible - but it isn't like he has the growth trajectory of a Brown/Tatum like player.

While you’ve got the numbers correct, I think your assessment of what Smart could get is off.  The last time we entered a summer with tons of teams having cap room to burn, we saw all sorts of role players like or inferior to Smart get contracts in the $16-20 million per year range for 3-4 years (Evan Turner, Ryan Anderson, Ian Mahinmi, Timofey Mozgov, Luol Deng, Allen Crabbe, and so on).  The cap will be nearly 20% higher next year compared to two summers ago.  I personally think Smart’s low-end, barring injury or complete regression, was $15 million per year, and $20 million AAV wouldn’t have surprised me.  The combination of restricted free agency and limited teams with cap room really suppressed his value this summer, and the Celtics got a bargain.

Hopefully the forums will be around so we can revisit this topic next July when the role players get paid.

I disagree with your reasoning. It was widely accepted during the free agency period of 2016 that role-players were being given enormous contracts due to the projected cap increase of the next season and in subsequent seasons.  Unfortunately for the teams now hamstrung by contracts signed by the likes of Ryan Anderson, Evan Turner, and Timofey Mozgov the cap only went up the next season and then plateaued.   Any team that signed Smart to a similar contract would be equally boned.

If another team wanted to pay Smart 15-20 million to be a defensive role-player I say let them. I see no reason why he's worth more than his rookie contract when he hasn't developed at all as a player (sorry but there's absolutely no statistical evidence that points to his improvement).   

Yes.

Not to mention the fact that he injured himself punching out a picture frame, because his GF posted a video online of him smoking weed.

I don't recall seeing ANY picture of Marcus smoking weed. I think you are making that up. His GF was showing bag of weed but Marcus wasn't smoking it and he wasn't in the picture unless you have some other evidence.

I see what is said but I still see NO pictures of Marcus smoking weed or even being in weeds company. I am not trying to start an investigation here but it's hearsay and I see no evidence.

https://mtonews.com/mto-shocker-nba-star-marcus-smart-just-got-put-blast-insta-thot-says-aborted-child-ratchet-video

Anybody can write anything on any website but it doesn't make it true. Although she seems like a very credible witness  ??? ::) ::)

You guys are so naive.

Wow. I guess the NBA didn't see it or the Celtics didn't see it and you'd think they would have maybe investigated things when Marcus got hurt.

« Reply #1082 on: July 19, 2018, 08:32:24 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

Yes.

You guys are so naive.

Wow. I guess the NBA didn't see it or the Celtics didn't see it and you'd think they would have maybe investigated things when Marcus got hurt.

The Celtics investigated, but positive pot tests are kept secret in the NBA until you fail the third one.

« Reply #1083 on: July 19, 2018, 08:33:10 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Yes.

You guys are so naive.

The Celtics investigated, but positive pot tests are kept secret in the NBA until you fail the third one.

Oh okay then I guess it's no big deal.

« Reply #1084 on: July 19, 2018, 08:35:57 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

Yes.

You guys are so naive.

Except that he injured himself and was out for a few weeks.

« Reply #1085 on: July 19, 2018, 08:40:21 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Yes.

You guys are so naive.

Yes that was definitely a problem. I was p---ed about that. But the weed thing I never saw and I can't say if it was proven or not and I would guess that 75% of the league smokes some occasionally. What do you think Robert Parish?

« Reply #1086 on: July 19, 2018, 08:41:39 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
According to Fred Katz of MassLive.com, Smart will be eligible for a $500,000 bonus each season if he meets certain body fat requirements. This basically means that if Smart stays in shape and doesn't somehow become overweight, he can make a half million more per season.

I wouldn't look at it that way, according to this Fred Katz tweet:

Smart's annual money on the 4-year, $52 million deal...

2018-19: $11,660,716
2019-20: $12,553,572
2020-21: $13,446,428
2021-22: $14,339,285

Salaries include a $500K likely bonus for body fat weigh in, per sources.

So the salaries everybody has been talking about already include that bonus.  That means it's a "likely to be achieved bonus" so it's probably Smart's bodyfat % from the start of last season.  If anything I take it to mean the opposite, Smart can lose half million each season.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged topics]
« Reply #1087 on: July 19, 2018, 08:47:02 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
I guess this is where I disagree. I don't think he does fill a role that others can't. In the playoffs he got a lot of minutes and had the opportunity to have stretches of being the go to guy for a bucket. I don't believe he did that. I don't think we really play bully ball against smaller lineups which negates his impact at the 4, and he isn't a good 3 pt shooter either. Theis can play the 4 on offense if needed with Al in the post, or Tatum and Hayward if we go small. If we did want a bigger stretch 4 then thats where I think the buyouts come into play, someone like Jared Dudley can fill that role in my eyes.

Morris just kicked in a little over 12 points a night and shot over 40% from three during Boston's playoff run, where he got shoehorned into a bigger role than is ideal because of injuries. He really shouldn't be playing 30 minutes a night, but he did because Boston didn't have better options.

Semi (who I like, but needs more development) averaged a hair under 2 points a night on 30/27% shooting splits over their playoff run.

Theis was a 31% three-point shooter last season, while Morris was a little better than league-average. Theis is also best served as a small center against lineups a little too quick for Baynes, not as the 4 in super-big lineups. He's not a big wing like Morris - Semi's the only other one the team has on the bench (throw Nader in there if you really want, but he's not ready either).

Then there is the locker room atmosphere to consider. I don't think he's the kind of guy who in a contract year would be happy to play minimal minutes in the hope that the right matchup comes along for him in the playoffs. Nor should he be, but that does cause a sticky situation.

If Morris asks out that's something different. No sense keeping an unhappy camper in the locker room if he feels you're messing with his money (which I'd understand).

« Reply #1088 on: July 19, 2018, 08:50:34 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Yes.

You guys are so naive.

Yeah and those few weeks Marcus missed 7 months ago are seriously going to affect how he plays during the next 4 years.

Glad after a half dozen replies of trying to slander Marcus and troll in general, you finally got your point across.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #1089 on: July 19, 2018, 09:43:55 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
It feels like such an Avery Bradley contract...

Bit scary at the beginning, but will be one of the most valuable in the league come 2021-2022
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #1090 on: July 19, 2018, 09:45:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Isn't this the deal that Marcus and his agent turned down at the beginning of last year?

« Reply #1091 on: July 19, 2018, 09:46:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
It feels like such an Avery Bradley contract...

Bit scary at the beginning, but will be one of the most valuable in the league come 2021-2022

The final year of Avery Bradley netted us Marcus Morris and we had to send out a second.  Not saying ABs deal was bad — it wasn’t.  But it wasn’t one of the most valuable in the league at any point.

« Reply #1092 on: July 19, 2018, 10:03:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Isn't this the deal that Marcus and his agent turned down at the beginning of last year?

Basically...or probably, right? I mean, Smart recently said he was worth at least $12-14M/yr - I am not sure what he was asking for last year, but I guess we are all to assume it was more than that.

If he got exactly what the Cs offered last year, then I am a little disappointed in how the negotiations went down. It would be like a buyer (the Cs) offering to buy a house from a seller (Smart), but the seller turning down the offer because he thinks he can get more. Then, after a few months go by with no action on the property, the seller goes back to that buyer and says he will accept the offer. In any normal circumstance, the buyer would realize that the house isn't worth what he/she originally thought and decrease their offer to what the market really says the property is worth.

Last summer, Smart was showing off a new and improved 3-point shot, was in great shape, and we all thought this was the year. This summer, even being given ample opportunity with the Hayward injury, we see that Smart didn't improve his shooting and showed that he can still be a total butt-head (picture frame), but is still expecting (and amazingly getting) the same offer that came last off-season.

Like I said, I am happy to have Smart back and I will live with the (my) perceived overpay of about $2-3M/yr, but I certainly don't think we are all going to look back on this contract and realize what a bargain it was. Smart will just never have the opportunity as the 6th-7th man to prove himself like AB did as a 2nd-3rd option and at least similar All-NBA Defense.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 07:59:21 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #1093 on: July 19, 2018, 10:09:48 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Danny made the Smart choice.

One of our most important - and unsung - heroes - is now a Celtic through this group's core contender years.

Looking forward to more of THIS

And other lunch pail, hard hat intangibles from him.

Every team that is successful has lunch pail, hard hat guys (PJ Tucker, Draymond Green, etc) and we've NOW locked ours up for four years.

Smart move, Danny.

« Reply #1094 on: July 19, 2018, 10:23:18 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Smart had to go to the hospital today

Smart experienced stomach flu-like symptoms earlier this afternoon and is currently receiving IV fluids at New England Baptist Hospital, so the presser is being postponed and he will speak in the coming days.