Author Topic: They rooked Tatum last night  (Read 2386 times)

Re: They rooked Tatum last night
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 09:40:10 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Tatum got 6 shots in the 4th quarter and played the entire way until he fouled out. They didn't freeze him out.

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 09:47:03 AM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 30
  • Believe in Boston
What was Brad supposed to do? He had 2 ride or die with what we had. Tatum's a rookie, he doesn't have the mentality to take 30 shots yet. It's not like he could call to the bullpen & put in Kyrie or GH. Those guys got us here being the players they are. If they don't have the capacity to change in the moment that's on them. The last thing you want is guys to be hesitant-----then you really have no chance. It sucks but Smart & Morris are who they are & Brown was terrible. Not only was Brown terrible he was stupid too. Bad shots bad decisions, I'm most disappointed in Brown-- just an epic no show. From a guy who was talking all series, just dumb basketball all around.
Brown and Rozier took almost exactly the quantity of shots you'd want them to take. They just missed them. Any stupidity was minor mistakes during split second decisions on drives. Brown was shooting over 40% from 3's and didn't take stupid shots. It was very disappointing that he missed them. He hasn't played afraid all year and didn't last night. He just missed a lot of shots.

I do have problems with Smart and Rozier not being mentally disciplined enough to know that with the season on the line, the best odds are with moving the ball early in the possession and getting the ball to Tatum and Horford down the stretch.

Smart in particular simply cannot be so stupid as to think that he should be shooting 3's and taking his man off the dribble in playoff crunch time. As amazing as he can be in certain moments, I think the team needs to move on from him.

Those "minor mistakes" on drives were stupid decisions and caused turnovers and were bad shots. There's no need for Brown & Rozier to be driving to the basket and forcing shots against Lebron or whoever else. I don't care if it worked all year. The play there is drive then kick and work the ball to the open man. This is game 7, it' s the second half , your struggling to score, forcing it to the basket because your not afraid is not smart, it's stupid. Move the ball, then guys get open shots. So much hero ball in the second half.
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 10:03:38 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Here is a video showing what you get running all the offense through one rookie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up9bYl6gDgk

Stevens knows

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 10:07:52 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Jaylen and Rozier took about the average number of shots they have all series and playoffs. It wasn't even that their shots, especially the threes, were bad. They just missed. There was a stat that the Celtics were 0-11 on uncontested threes. Not open, but UNCONTESTED.

So what do you do in that situation. Give it to Tatum 30 times? He's not ready. First of all even if you tried he'd just give the ball up, he doesn't have the alpha mentality yet. But not only that he's not good enough yet. Loses the ball on drives, misses layups, commits turnovers on kick outs. he's good and he will be a lead dog eventually, maybe soon, but he scored 24. Lets not exaggerate what he is right now.

And you can blame Brad all you wnat but at some point if all three of your guards suck theres nothing you can do. We have a seven man rotation. Baynes isn't a scorer, and the three guards were bad. That doesn't leave enough left to win.

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 10:11:18 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Please stop saying Tatum isn't ready. He proved to you all playoffs that he's ready. That's an easy excuse and that's why I said they rooked him and so are you.

How do you let 3 guys go 7-39?? And never emphasize getting it to the guy who not only dunked on Bron but put up 24...and you say he's not ready...give me a break. 

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 12:21:28 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Brad all season has empowered guys to take the right shots...  You cant expect him to contradict himself because shots were not falling.

Tatum didn't Get Rooked...

Brad was not going to throw the load on him this year - that was never the plan...  They are developing him... Building his game and more importantly his confidence...   You cant run the risk of putting the load on him this early and having him point the finger at himself if it didn't work out... Remember he is not a 26-year-old Vet... The Kid just turned 20...

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 12:53:30 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
I wish we would have gone with Horford bringing the ball up and starting the offense more this series. He did a good job of it all year but basically stopped doing it in the playoffs. Just can't expect rozier to be able to run the offense and make the smart decision.
 So many times rozier or smart would stand at top of three point line and just dribble dribble dribble til 5 seconds left and just chuck up a shot. That's not good offense. Then you'd have times where they would bring the ball up and shoot with 18+ left on the shot clock, that's just stupid and terrible offense. Rozier and smart are too selfish of players to try and get others involved, especially players who are in the zone like tatum was last night. Stuff like that doesnt happen if we have Al initiating the offense.
I can't remember 100 percent but after tatum banged on lebron he hit a 3pter very next possession and then I'm not sure he got to take another shot after that. Inexcusable for us not to ride the hot hand..
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2018, 12:55:14 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Some may forget Tatum is just a 21 old rookie and neither his body nor his mind is ready for 30 shots a game, you are taking the risk to overuse him which may end as break down injury

Jazz did exactly that, they got caught up the hype getting a gem in Mitchell and and put all the load on Mitchell to carry them deep into playoffs(although they have no chance to win it all), the expectation pushed Mitchell to play way over his (knee) limits and eventually got hurt in very minor contact
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEzzV2q8688
The way he use his knee before he went down, you can see there isn't any buff, you can just see the injury coming.

It's a shame as physical freak as Mitchell is there is too high a risk for a rookie to push limits like that, hope Jazz don't turn him into Rose 2.0

Tatum on the other hand knows how to protect himself and always play under control, thats why he is so durable as a 20 year rookie whose body isn't even mature, thats why he will pass it away if he feel the load is going to be too much for now.

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 12:58:54 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
...and that includes Stevens. Pathetic that no one wanted to get Tatum the ball. To continue jacking all those 3s is inexcusable.

No one knows what will happen next year. No championship is guaranteed. I feel bad for Tatum. He deserved more opportunities. I would've went down with him taking 30 FGAs.

This 100%.....game 7 you ride the hot hand.

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2018, 01:29:25 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
...and that includes Stevens. Pathetic that no one wanted to get Tatum the ball. To continue jacking all those 3s is inexcusable.

No one knows what will happen next year. No championship is guaranteed. I feel bad for Tatum. He deserved more opportunities. I would've went down with him taking 30 FGAs.

We weren’t winning the title this year either.  Bummer to miss a finals appearance but warriors are winning tonight by 30 again and will beat the Cavs in 4 or 5.

i would a been ecstatic had we just won the east by punking lebron. how can a team whip lebron 3 times at home and lay a stinker like this a 4 th game? unreal. finals expericne this year woulda been great. now we blew another 3-2 series lead to lebron, at least that heat team was stacked this cavs team is crap.
LET'S GO CELTICS!