Author Topic: Stevens this game is on you  (Read 15602 times)

Re: Stevens this game is on you
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2018, 11:39:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
*Giselle Bundchen voice*

HE CAN'T TAKE THE SHOTS FOR THEM AND COACH THEM!

But he can pull guys when they shoot us out of the game, right? Isn't that part of the coach's job?

Or how about this - instill some discipline in your guys so that they don't effing shoot us out of games like that.

I don't get it. How can the coach not be getting heat when he's letting 1 or 2 guys shoot you out of the game?

I have a hard time thinking Red, pop, or Jackson would allow this to happen.

Should've put in Nader. That was the key ::)

As far as instilling discipline, those Rozier pull up 3's drives him as crazy as it does all of us. Smart's shot selected has been garbage since he played at OK State. He's a coach, not a miracle worker. He draws up the gameplan, the players have to execute.

If just one of 3 things happen: 1.) Terry Rozier gives us a mediocre game instead of a terrible one   2.) Jaylen Brown shows up   3.) Al Horford doesn't' disappear after one quarter   we win this game.
Al's 'disappearance' was due more to Rozier's lack of ability to run an offense in the second half as opposed to bricking shots.  with the way this team shot tonight, the only person who cleveland had to respect on the perimeter if they fed Al was Tatum and his passing isn't the greatest. 

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2018, 11:39:06 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
He stuck with Rozier way too long in the 3rd when he was completely out of control. Then, he subbed Rozier with a few minutes left in a game that a win was completely in reach, even though Rozier was atrocious offensively and he knew James would attack him on a switch at the other end.

THIS. Rozier was instrumental in changing the tone of the game and giving them the lead in the third. Brad sat on his hands and let Rozier's terrible decision-making and shot selection give up this game for us in the third. Just a complete brainfart on his part.

TOO HARD FOR BRAD TO TELL THEM GO TO RIM OR BACK TO MISMATCH POSTUPS OR PNR! BRAD IS INFALLIBLE!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2018, 11:40:03 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I think Stevens protected Irving and Hayward in this game.

Did this weird statement ever get explained ?

I will say it again for those that dont understand. How does Stevens convince Irving and Hayward they're valuable when they make the Finals. Steven's protected those two so now there isn't the question of "do the Celtics really need them?"

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2018, 11:40:29 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
*Giselle Bundchen voice*

But he can pull guys when they shoot us out of the game, right? Isn't that part of the coach's job?

Or how about this - instill some discipline in your guys so that they don't effing shoot us out of games like that.

I don't get it. How can the coach not be getting heat when he's letting 1 or 2 guys shoot you out of the game?

Thank you...what are people watching? They have Steven's a pass when they made the ECF.

So what? They could've made the finals with better decision making.

The way they played tonight was infuriating and just like how they played in the playoffs last season. I was tired of the street ball back then as I am tonight.

Brad is the coach, it is incumbent on him to get his guys to play smart ball and not Jack 3s all night when they're not falling.

Either this was the game plan or he doesn't have control of the offense his team is running. That's not good.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2018, 11:41:04 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
The Celtics backcourt of Rozier, Brown, and Smart shot 8 for 42.

That’s ballgame...no way to recover from that.

« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2018, 11:41:32 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
If anyone here is really trying to throw Brad under the bus we could always bring THIS guy back

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2018, 11:42:40 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I think Stevens protected Irving and Hayward in this game.

Did this weird statement ever get explained ?

I will say it again for those that dont understand. How does Stevens convince Irving and Hayward they're valuable when they make the Finals. Steven's protected those two so now there isn't the question of "do the Celtics really need them?"

celtics would've gotten destroyed in the finals....so your point is moot. If that is the case, then the point would be that they are needed to actually WIN the finals.

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2018, 11:43:44 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
If anyone here is really trying to throw Brad under the bus we could always bring THIS guy back

At least his teams in Boston played like they had a brain.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2018, 11:44:15 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
There as absolutely nothing the coach could have to change the result tonight.  It wasn't because he played the wrong guys or made the wrong subs or had the wrong strategy. He put them in a position to win - the players couldn't make enough shots.

Uhhhhhhhh, literally pulling Rozier in the third and putting Smart in rather than letting Rozier shoot us out of the game on 3-4 straight possessions literally might've won the game for us. That was the run that got them the lead in the first place.

I don't understand the leeway this guy gets around here when he clearly makes bad decisions that another coach like Ty Lue would get RIPPED apart for.
Smart wasn't much better offensively.  Your only other option is play with no point guard, go big and have Al walk it up.  With Rozier, Brown, Morris and Smart laying as many bricks as they did they weren't winning this game.

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2018, 11:44:36 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
*Giselle Bundchen voice*

As far as instilling discipline, those Rozier pull up 3's drives him as crazy as it does all of us. Smart's shot selection has been garbage since he played at OK State. He's a coach, not a miracle worker. He draws up the gameplan, the players have to execute.

If just one of 3 things happen: 1.) Terry Rozier gives us a mediocre game instead of a terrible one   2.) Jaylen Brown shows up   3.) Al Horford doesn't' disappear after one quarter   we win this game.

If he can't stop a role player like Rozier from shooting us out of the game in the third quarter of an Eastern Conference Finals Game 7, perhaps he should find another career. Dude needs to grow a pair and reign in his players.

Sitting on his hands and allowing Rozier to simply shoot us out of the game during that stretch run is ABSOLUTELY , 100% on Brad. Do you think Pop would've let someone like Green do that? F NO! He would've pulled his arse and gave him an arse chewing on the sideline for not playing within the flow of the game.

Dude is a good, quality coach, but he is SOOOO overrated on this blog and in the media in general. And he has several weak areas that really hurt us in games, as it did tonight.

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2018, 11:45:47 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

LOL!

You guys and you're selective memory. I should dig up some old threads from back then. The complaining and handwringing was in full effect then too.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2018, 11:46:01 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
There as absolutely nothing the coach could have to change the result tonight.  It wasn't because he played the wrong guys or made the wrong subs or had the wrong strategy. He put them in a position to win - the players couldn't make enough shots.

Uhhhhhhhh, literally pulling Rozier in the third and putting Smart in rather than letting Rozier shoot us out of the game on 3-4 straight possessions literally might've won the game for us. That was the run that got them the lead in the first place.

I don't understand the leeway this guy gets around here when he clearly makes bad decisions that another coach like Ty Lue would get RIPPED apart for.
Smart wasn't much better offensively.  Your only other option is play with no point guard, go big and have Al walk it up.  With Rozier, Brown, Morris and Smart laying as many bricks as they did they weren't winning this game.

But Smart gets others involved, and he wasn't jacking nearly the number of junk threes that Rozier was. Putting him in to calm the tide and stop Rozier from further hemorrhaging us very well could've been the difference in the game.

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2018, 11:46:30 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

No, they really didn't, lol ;D. Only Rondo could possibly cover for the vast majority of Doc's incredibly stupid coaching, imo.

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2018, 11:47:11 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
*Giselle Bundchen voice*

As far as instilling discipline, those Rozier pull up 3's drives him as crazy as it does all of us. Smart's shot selection has been garbage since he played at OK State. He's a coach, not a miracle worker. He draws up the gameplan, the players have to execute.

If he can't stop a role player like Rozier from shooting us out of the game in the third quarter of an Eastern Conference Finals Game 7, perhaps he should find another career. Dude needs to grow a pair and reign in his players.

Sitting on his hands and allowing Rozier to simply shoot us out of the game during that stretch run is ABSOLUTELY , 100% on Brad. Do you think Pop would've let someone like Green do that? F NO! He would've pulled his arse and gave him an arse chewing on the sideline for not playing within the flow of the game.

Dude is a good, quality coach, but he is SOOOO overrated on this blog and in the media in general. And he has several weak areas that really hurt us in games, as it did tonight.

Thank you for your overreaction post. Although your post doesn't really pertain to reality, I am always amused by how people will respond after a tough loss. You sir, deserve a TP.

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2018, 11:47:16 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Man, I have to say it.  Some of you people are positively nut jobs.  We had a back up PG bricking shots, his back up bricking shots, a supposed up and coming star bricking shots, and it’s the coaches fault?  Are you people crazy?!?

Was he was supposed to play Nader?  Or how about Larkin in street clothes?  You don’t just tell players to be disciplined.  You don’t just tell players to take good shots.  Fact is, the better the player, the better the shots.