Author Topic: Stevens this game is on you  (Read 15708 times)

Re: Stevens this game is on you
« Reply #210 on: May 31, 2018, 12:30:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Celtics went 6/12 for 2s

Also Something for cbs to  think about .
can you clarify that statement?

C's were 29-85 overall.  7-39 on 3's and 22-46 on 2's in game 7. 

I'm a bit confused what that 6-12 refers to

« Reply #211 on: May 31, 2018, 12:35:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Celtics went 6/12 for 2s

Also Something for cbs to  think about .
can you clarify that statement?

C's were 29-85 overall.  7-39 on 3's and 22-46 on 2's in game 7. 

I'm a bit confused what that 6-12 refers to

Oops. 6 fo 12 from part of 3rd to 4th.

« Reply #212 on: May 31, 2018, 12:36:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
i hope ne at least cussed the refs parentage and got
a least one technical

I sure id got thrown out of the game as a coach , if my team was in trouble in game 7 of final s.

I d tried anything to interrupt the other teams rhythm and put a spike in the butts of my players

« Reply #213 on: June 01, 2018, 12:06:12 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I saw a criticism of Stevens' coaching on one of the networks that he didn't have Horford going to the basket enough in the 2nd half in that 7th game, when he scored a lot that way in the first half. Horford had hardly any touches the 2nd half. Instead, it was bombs away from the perimeter.

I think Stevens over relies on the 3, and when you have only one sharpshooter in Tatum, with Irving out, that can bite you. The 3s weren't going in that 2nd half, and that's what can happen. You got to have some diversity in your scoring.

It goes back to the old Red Auerbach philosophy that won all those championships: pass for the best shot. The 3P shot is not always the best shot.

« Reply #214 on: June 01, 2018, 01:04:18 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
From Celtics4ever:
"Jeff Green and George Hill did not beat us though.   We took bad shot after missing shot after shot, and did not feed the hot hand.   I still think we beat ourselves more than the Cavs beat us."

I 100% agree with this. We were up 15 in the second quarter and couldn't extend the lead. After Cleveland made their run we tightened up and couldn't buy a bucket from three. We were 7-39 from three.

When you are shooting that poorly, it demands change. To me the change is simple, stop shooting all the threes and attack, attack, attack, attack - relentless assault of the rim. Get to the line, get some easy buckets, etc. Also, you feed the hot hand.

These both seem like basketball 101 things. Continuing to jack up three point shot after three point shot when you're shooting that miserably seems like insanity to me.

We also should have gone with a Tatum/Brown back court to end Cleveland posting up Rozier or Smart 500-600 times with James and Thompson. I don't know how you let that go on endlessly and with great positive affect for the Cavs and terrible results for us.

I've seen Horford, Tatum and brown handle the ball enough to be confident they could get the ball up the court and initiate the offense.  I'd take my chances with that rather than watch Rozier and Smart get pummeled for three games.

Great season, great coach, great team and players, great future. This year though, we didn't loose because the ball just "wouldn't go through the hoop" for us... or because the Cavs were far superior.

We lost because many of the players choked big time in game seven and couldn't hit shots. They're young, understandable.

We also lost because Stevens also choked in Game 7 and was unable or unwilling to make what appeared to be obvious and much needed changes during the game. He'll also continue to grow and learn from the adversity, like we all do...         

« Reply #215 on: June 01, 2018, 01:08:57 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
I can't believe the Celtics gift-wrapped these kind of Cavaliers to make the finals.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #216 on: June 01, 2018, 01:35:22 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
From Celtics4ever:
"Jeff Green and George Hill did not beat us though.   We took bad shot after missing shot after shot, and did not feed the hot hand.   I still think we beat ourselves more than the Cavs beat us."

I 100% agree with this. We were up 15 in the second quarter and couldn't extend the lead. After Cleveland made their run we tightened up and couldn't buy a bucket from three. We were 7-39 from three.

When you are shooting that poorly, it demands change. To me the change is simple, stop shooting all the threes and attack, attack, attack, attack - relentless assault of the rim. Get to the line, get some easy buckets, etc. Also, you feed the hot hand.

These both seem like basketball 101 things. Continuing to jack up three point shot after three point shot when you're shooting that miserably seems like insanity to me.

We also should have gone with a Tatum/Brown back court to end Cleveland posting up Rozier or Smart 500-600 times with James and Thompson. I don't know how you let that go on endlessly and with great positive affect for the Cavs and terrible results for us.

I've seen Horford, Tatum and brown handle the ball enough to be confident they could get the ball up the court and initiate the offense.  I'd take my chances with that rather than watch Rozier and Smart get pummeled for three games.

Great season, great coach, great team and players, great future. This year though, we didn't loose because the ball just "wouldn't go through the hoop" for us... or because the Cavs were far superior.

We lost because many of the players choked big time in game seven and couldn't hit shots. They're young, understandable.

We also lost because Stevens also choked in Game 7 and was unable or unwilling to make what appeared to be obvious and much needed changes during the game. He'll also continue to grow and learn from the adversity, like we all do...         

it makes no sense but i am pretty sure i HAVE seen CBS stress points in the paint at times during the year. stevie wonder could see we needed that in the 4th quarter of game 7. what stevens allowed to keep happening what pure madness and suicide. it was almost the sports equivalent of watching soldiers in WW1 going over the top charging the opposing trench with no air or naval support and no flanking all whilst facing 30 caliber browning machine guns just mowing your men over. That is basically what it was like watching us jacking up 3 after 3 after 3 after 3. MADNESS.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #217 on: June 01, 2018, 01:38:34 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
I can't believe the Celtics gift-wrapped these kind of Cavaliers to make the finals.

sadly the warning signs were there all year and were pointed out in game threads. we went thru some serious stretches of playing dumb basketball and not adjusting. we had a chance again to fix it in game 7 and we did not.
LET'S GO CELTICS!