Author Topic: Stevens this game is on you  (Read 15611 times)

Re: Stevens this game is on you
« Reply #195 on: May 30, 2018, 01:59:37 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
The reason why you have to look at it critically is because these chances are far from the norm. Who knows what happens next year. I thought we'd have 3 titles with KGs Celtics and we kept having major injuries.

Its enjoyable but now I'm having basketball withdrawals because we should be playing Thursday. We were 10-0 at home and lost to a lottery team with a HOFer.

Definitely a skewed perspective. CLE is a team of role players with a hall of famer.

Those role players are, together, a lottery team.

It's disappointing, but the team is too young.

« Reply #196 on: May 30, 2018, 02:30:32 AM »

Offline BackDoorCut

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
 :'(
The argument a lot of our peers are making is that they did not have their second best player. We didn't have our best two players.
That doesn't really matter. We are not comparing who's missing, we're comparing who's left. Are you saying it's ok that our team was overmatched by the likes of Jeff Green and George Hill?

Early on in the thread someone specifically criticized the fact that love being out was a reason we should have won the game. Either way Jeff Greens Career average in PPG is higher than Jaylen Browns. As is george hills greater than Terry Roziers. Greg Popovich once said George Hill was his favorite player prior to RC Buford trading him for Kawhi. Those guys are both legitimate ROLE players in the nba as their stats and tenure back up. Add that to the fact that they're playing with an all time great, means they need to play just MARGINALLY better than they would say on last year's boston team which relied on a lot of players playing above and beyond their means. They get that extra bit of leeway because Lebron is going to pick up additional slack. Experience trumps youth. Lebron didn't get this decade of the eastern conference handed to him. He had to go through the Pistons and then he had to go through the celtics. Good things will come.

« Reply #197 on: May 30, 2018, 06:57:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Either way Jeff Greens Career average in PPG is higher than Jaylen Browns. As is george hills greater than Terry Roziers. Greg Popovich once said George Hill was his favorite player prior to RC Buford trading him for Kawhi. Those guys are both legitimate ROLE players in the nba as their stats and tenure back up. Add that to the fact that they're playing with an all time great, means they need to play just MARGINALLY better than they would say on last year's boston team which relied on a lot of players playing above and beyond their means. They get that extra bit of leeway because Lebron is going to pick up additional slack. Experience trumps youth. Lebron didn't get this decade of the eastern conference handed to him. He had to go through the Pistons and then he had to go through the celtics. Good things will come.

Jeff Green and George Hill did not beat us though.   We took bad shot after missing shot after shot, and did not feed the hot hand.   I still think we beat ourselves more than the Cavs beat us.

You have a big paragraph but you use career stats.      Look at Hill's playoff stats this year in 2018

9.7 PPG   49% from the field    26% from the three  2.2 APG

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hillge01.html

vs.

Jaylen

18  PPG   47% from the field  39% from the three  1.4 APG

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/brownja02.html

Terry

16 PPG  40% from the field   36% from the three   5.7 APG

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/roziete01.html

and I am too lazy to post Jeff Green but rest assured Brown and Rozier have played better than him in the post season

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenje02.html

Big difference between then and now.  This year in the playoffs Brown and Rozier were a lot better than George Hill.   They just faltered a few games but Brown has the brightest future of these guys.  As for Pop saying that, coaches like guys who hustle and are coachable than stars.

I agree with you good things will come.   

« Reply #198 on: May 30, 2018, 09:01:06 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
The reason why you have to look at it critically is because these chances are far from the norm. Who knows what happens next year. I thought we'd have 3 titles with KGs Celtics and we kept having major injuries.

Its enjoyable but now I'm having basketball withdrawals because we should be playing Thursday. We were 10-0 at home and lost to a lottery team with a HOFer.

Definitely a skewed perspective. CLE is a team of role players with a hall of famer.

Those role players are, together, a lottery team.

It's disappointing, but the team is too young.

I still think its a crazy way to think about something. Without Tom Brady, the Patriots prob wouldn't have made the playoffs with Hoyer starting with an awful defense. Does that mean the Eagles beat the Patriots, or a Hall of Famer and a non-playoff team?

How can you separate Lebron from the Cavs this year? He clearly has more of an effect on his teammates than just a Hall of famer and a bunch of scrubs.

« Reply #199 on: May 30, 2018, 10:19:16 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
Steve did a great job with the team. I don't think anyone here is denying that. I don't believe anyone is being ungrateful either.

It's great that they went as far as they did with the depleted roster. However, they didn't get there because they were lucky. They got there because they have a good team. It doesn't matter if we were not supposed to make it, the fact is we were there and had a legit chance to make it to the finals. At this point, in that series, the injuries are not an excuse. They were up 3-2 and had 2 opportunities to put the Cavs away.

The thing is, a coach has to be able to get his team settled down and play productive basketball. That didn't happen in the last game and a few others that series. That is an issue that I honestly don't know if it will be fixed. That concerns me going into the the future.

I would've gone big and sat Terry for a few minutes and let him know that he cannot play hero here. If they lose, oh well, at least the team knows this is professional level ball and you have to play with your head.

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #200 on: May 30, 2018, 10:21:48 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
The argument a lot of our peers are making is that they did not have their second best player. We didn't have our best two players.
That doesn't really matter. We are not comparing who's missing, we're comparing who's left. Are you saying it's ok that our team was overmatched by the likes of Jeff Green and George Hill?

Early on in the thread someone specifically criticized the fact that love being out was a reason we should have won the game. Either way Jeff Greens Career average in PPG is higher than Jaylen Browns. As is george hills greater than Terry Roziers. Greg Popovich once said George Hill was his favorite player prior to RC Buford trading him for Kawhi. Those guys are both legitimate ROLE players in the nba as their stats and tenure back up. Add that to the fact that they're playing with an all time great, means they need to play just MARGINALLY better than they would say on last year's boston team which relied on a lot of players playing above and beyond their means. They get that extra bit of leeway because Lebron is going to pick up additional slack. Experience trumps youth. Lebron didn't get this decade of the eastern conference handed to him. He had to go through the Pistons and then he had to go through the celtics. Good things will come.

Says who? That's false.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #201 on: May 30, 2018, 10:27:43 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Says who? That's false.
Huh? Green has averaged 13 over his career, whereas JB is sitting on 10. Hill is 11.6, and Rozier is about 7.

Unless basketballreference is just way off, he's not wrong in saying that
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #202 on: May 30, 2018, 10:45:18 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Says who? That's false.
Huh? Green has averaged 13 over his career, whereas JB is sitting on 10. Hill is 11.6, and Rozier is about 7.

For some reason I read it as playoff averages, in which case, he's correct and I am wrong lol.

« Reply #203 on: May 30, 2018, 10:49:11 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Says who? That's false.

For some reason I read it as playoff averages, in which case, he's correct and I am wrong lol.
Pretty awesome that our guys already have better playoff averages over established vets!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #204 on: May 30, 2018, 11:18:40 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
This kind of topics should be erased immediately...

« Reply #205 on: May 30, 2018, 11:23:21 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Says who? That's false.

Pretty awesome that our guys already have better playoff averages over established vets!

Same here, I'm so happy with our future.

TP at ya.

« Reply #206 on: May 30, 2018, 04:34:38 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Green has averaged 13 over his career, whereas JB is sitting on 10. Hill is 11.6, and Rozier is about 7.

Jaylen will surpass that, he is a two year player.   Also CBS if this game was on him, then why use career averages it's one game.   His average for the series was way less as I pointed out and you seem unable or unwilling to acknowledge.

You act like your proud, that Green and Hill have better career averages when it does not really apply to this argument as our guys were much better this post season.   Brown is going to have a better career than Jeff Green.  He had a better post season than Jeff Green.   Green peaked at his 11th year at 17.5 PPG, he has never shot the three ball as well as Brown this year.   He is on the way down and Jaylen is on the way up in terms of their careers.

One bad game for Jaylen and Terry and you think Jeff Green is miles better.   Don't quit your day job and become a scout is I have to say.

« Reply #207 on: May 31, 2018, 11:00:34 AM »

Offline BackDoorCut

• Jrue Holiday
Green has averaged 13 over his career, whereas JB is sitting on 10. Hill is 11.6, and Rozier is about 7.

Jaylen will surpass that, he is a two year player.   Also CBS if this game was on him, then why use career averages it's one game.   His average for the series was way less as I pointed out and you seem unable or unwilling to acknowledge.

You act like your proud, that Green and Hill have better career averages when it does not really apply to this argument as our guys were much better this post season.   Brown is going to have a better career than Jeff Green.  He had a better post season than Jeff Green.   Green peaked at his 11th year at 17.5 PPG, he has never shot the three ball as well as Brown this year.   He is on the way down and Jaylen is on the way up in terms of their careers.

One bad game for Jaylen and Terry and you think Jeff Green is miles better.   Don't quit your day job and become a scout is I have to say.

I'm most definitely not proud of that? Not sure where you're coming from with that. I'm just showing the example that these guys are established vets who have had half-decent (Jeff Green) to good (George Hill) careers in the NBA. They're certainly not scrubs on the NBA spectrum. It was more of an example of we're young and growing. George Hill has played in a few conference finals. That was the first for Jaylen giving major contributing minutes. I can't say I am surprised Jeff Green was essentially the difference maker in game 7. An arena he's quite used to playing in and Lebron James was drawing all the attention on top of our guys missing shots.

I'm as big a fan of Jaylen Brown you'll find but he's 21 and growing as a basketball player. I literally never said Jeff Green was better than Jaylen Brown but thanks for putting those assumptive words in my mouth! What a joke.

« Reply #208 on: May 31, 2018, 11:07:54 AM »

Offline BackDoorCut

• Jrue Holiday
Either way Jeff Greens Career average in PPG is higher than Jaylen Browns. As is george hills greater than Terry Roziers. Greg Popovich once said George Hill was his favorite player prior to RC Buford trading him for Kawhi. Those guys are both legitimate ROLE players in the nba as their stats and tenure back up. Add that to the fact that they're playing with an all time great, means they need to play just MARGINALLY better than they would say on last year's boston team which relied on a lot of players playing above and beyond their means. They get that extra bit of leeway because Lebron is going to pick up additional slack. Experience trumps youth. Lebron didn't get this decade of the eastern conference handed to him. He had to go through the Pistons and then he had to go through the celtics. Good things will come.

Jeff Green and George Hill did not beat us though.   We took bad shot after missing shot after shot, and did not feed the hot hand.   I still think we beat ourselves more than the Cavs beat us.

You have a big paragraph but you use career stats.      Look at Hill's playoff stats this year in 2018

9.7 PPG   49% from the field    26% from the three  2.2 APG

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hillge01.html

vs.

Jaylen

18  PPG   47% from the field  39% from the three  1.4 APG

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/brownja02.html

Terry

16 PPG  40% from the field   36% from the three   5.7 APG

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/roziete01.html

and I am too lazy to post Jeff Green but rest assured Brown and Rozier have played better than him in the post season

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenje02.html

Big difference between then and now.  This year in the playoffs Brown and Rozier were a lot better than George Hill.   They just faltered a few games but Brown has the brightest future of these guys.  As for Pop saying that, coaches like guys who hustle and are coachable than stars.

I agree with you good things will come.

Agree on all points except one. Jeff Green was the difference maker game 7. He had 19 points. He stepped up in a big way for them. That's the benefit of playing with Lebron. He's so good that if ONE of the role players he plays with has a big game. that's enough on a lot of nights to beat an injury dismantled team such as ourselves. Our young guns certainly outplayed those two but a lot of people in this thread have called them scrubs. Which in my opinion is not true. These guys are above average NBA players with a lot more playoff experience. Our guys had the nervous energy and they had the been there before mentality. That's perfectly fine by me. As previously mentioned these guys are young and need to earn their keep. Just like Lebron in the mid 2000s

« Reply #209 on: May 31, 2018, 12:15:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Celtics went 6/12 for 2s

Also Something for cbs to  think about .