Author Topic: Feelings about the Loss  (Read 5383 times)

Feelings about the Loss
« on: May 27, 2018, 11:05:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Quick thoughts and then I'm out on talking about this stuff for a while:

I don't want to hear your "house money" takes.  You never know how many times you're going to get a Game 7 on your homecourt for a chance at the Finals.  The Celts are still waiting for that signature win against LeBron in the years since 2010. 

This was a golden opportunity and they came up short.  In heartbreaking fashion, I might add.  They fell apart in the last few minutes of Game 7.  Reminded me a little bit of Game 7 in 2010 in LA.

I am legitimately sad that they lost.  Tomorrow I'll wake up and I'll remember how young they are and how Tatum is great and all the draft picks and Kyrie and Hayward coming back, etc.  I'll remember LeBron will be another year older and he might change teams.  But tonight, I'm sad.  I was really looking forward to being excited about the Celts winning Game 7 against a very flawed, very beatable Cavs team.  It didn't happen, and not only that, but the Celts lost because they couldn't steady themselves enough to make shots when it mattered late in the game.  It's going to be difficult carrying that around all summer.

LeBron is the greatest basketball player of all time.  Talk to me all you want about MJ, LeBron is at least 1B.  He's just too good.

Sometimes basketball is a stupid, overly simple sport. One team has LeBron and the other doesn't.

The Celts missed shots tonight that they made all season. That's really hard to swallow, but it's how it goes.

I'm happy for Jeff Green.

This was a fun season but I'm sick over how it ended. I really believed they were good enough to beat the Cavs, and I didn't think they would go out like that -- losing their composure, missing shot after shot while LeBron held steady.

But again, sometimes basketball is stupid. The Cavaliers had LeBron tonight. That was enough.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Feelings about the Loss
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 11:07:32 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439

I don't want to hear your "house money" takes.  You never know how many times you're going to get a Game 7 on your homecourt for a chance at the Finals.  The Celts are still waiting for that signature win against LeBron in the years since 2010. 

This was a golden opportunity and they came up short.  In heartbreaking fashion, I might add.  They fell apart in the last few minutes of Game 7.  Reminded me a little bit of Game 7 in 2010 in LA.

LeBron is the greatest basketball player of all time.

Sometimes basketball is a stupid, overly simple sport. One team has LeBron and the other doesn't.

The Celts missed shots tonight that they made all season. That's really hard to swallow, but it's how it goes.

This was a fun season but I'm sick over how it ended. I really believed they were good enough to beat the Cavs, and I didn't think they would go out like that -- losing their composure, missing shot after shot while LeBron held steady.

But again, sometimes basketball is stupid. The Cavaliers had LeBron tonight. That was enough.
[/b]

LeBron was great but that was enough only because we couldn't buy a basket, we got a TON of wide open 3's and couldn't make them. It's not like the Cavs' defense was smothering us. This loss is as much a win on LeBron's part as the Celtics shooting themselves in the foot.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 11:08:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

LeBron is the greatest basketball player of all time.

[/b]

LeBron was great but that was enough only because we couldn't buy a basket, we got a TON of wide open 3's and couldn't make them. It's not like the Cavs' defense was smothering us. This loss is as much a win on LeBron's part as the Celtics shooting themselves in the foot.

The Cavs were on the ones on the road, though.  The Celts got tight and couldn't hit a shot ... LeBron just kept trucking his way through multiple Celts defenders and finishing really tough shots.  That's what the greats do.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 11:12:09 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Jayson Tatum is an absolute STUD!  The future is bright in Boston.

Yeah, I'm sad that we didn't make it to the Finals.  But looking at this team going forward, we have the potential to become the best team in the East as soon as next year, just by getting Irving and Hayward back.

If DA makes ZERO moves, this will be the most talented team in the NBA next year.  But I believe Danny WILL make moves.  Let's just see what happens!

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 11:12:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't think it was about one team having LeBron.

The Celtics just shot the ball terribly bad from 3. This happens to all teams now and then in the 3 point shooting era. On those nights, you can lose to anyone.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 11:12:31 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Raw Pain right now.

Time to hit the Crown and watch Military docs the rest of the weekend.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 11:14:27 PM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
You live by the 3, you die by the 3. We went 7 of 39, and while I've now somewhat accepted the modern day NBA game of jacking 3's all game, there were too many bad long shots IMO (See Rozier, Brown, Smart). This is where superstars rise, being able to get a basket in a variety of ways, when players tire over a 7 game series, and every pick is switched to force an isolation. Well done Celtics to a great postseason run, invaluable experience for the young guns!

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 11:14:37 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Can’t win the game when Brown, Morris, Rozier and smart are all no shows on offense

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 11:14:53 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
All I know is I can’t watch any sports programs for at least the next 5 days, and that I need a drink or 10
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 11:16:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I don't think it was about one team having LeBron.

The Celtics just shot the ball terribly bad from 3. This happens to all teams now and then in the 3 point shooting era. On those nights, you can lose to anyone.

The Cavs didn't play especially well, either.  But they had LeBron, and he could not be stopped, would not be stopped.  He was the difference.  He just kept making shots and the Celts stopped making any baskets altogether in the last few minutes.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 11:16:21 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We would not have beaten the Warriors anyway, so it does not really matter.

Irving and Hayward return next year, so we will be even better.

But have you ever seen such a bad shooting performance in a big game? Sheesh!

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 11:16:27 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
We needed a go-to guy down the stretch. Replace Rozier with Kyrie and we don't have droughts like that.

Next year we'll have Kyrie, Hayward, and 2nd-year Tatum as go-to scorers
I'm bitter.

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 11:20:50 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Not gonna lie, stings like hell. Probably the last historical chance we ever get to beat LeBron.

Total disaster.

There will be many silver linings, but this is just stupidly bad.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 11:24:41 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
How could anyone be happy for Jeff Green?

All I'm thinking is where the hell was that when WE needed him?!

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 11:26:05 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
All I know is I can’t watch any sports programs for at least the next 5 days, and that I need a drink or 10

Yeah, this is the fall-out from such a disappointing loss. I just can't listen to the media talk about what a legendary performance Lebron and 4 nobodies put on the hapless Cs. It was his best performance ever...blah blah blah.

Disappointing to say the lease and I agree with Pho - only so many chances you get at something like this. Rozier and Brown tear it up in game 6, but can't contribute when the season is on the line.