Author Topic: 1 of 4 young men now believe asking a woman out for a drink is sexual harassment  (Read 1708 times)

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1122
When did men get so whiny? Man up and be a gentlemen and you'll be fine. It's about time many of these nasty dudes were held responsible for their criminal behavior.

We have a tidal wave of men having their lives ruined by women merely pointing their finger -no due process etc, and those who complain are "whiny"? Also, the exhaustion from the mental gymnastics it would take to explain how reputation is relevant for one sex, but not the other, in one of these cases, may explain why you never answered my question.

I didn't see your question but feel free to make a false accusation.

Does the reputation of the woman making the accusation matter?

Of course it would.

Feel free to not apologise for false accusation.

Manners matter.

I offered a theory, I didn’t levy an accusation.

I agree with you that it would matter, many in the #MeToo movement, and on the 3rd wave feminist side, would not.

Maybe your theory sounded like a veiled accusation to me? I can't understand what you are saying in your last little statement, maybe gibberish?

I agree with you that the history of the accuser would and should matter. However, many members of today’s #metoo movement, including 3rd wavers, subscribe to “Believe All Women”, and would oppose that reasonable idea. If you took that position to Twitter, for example, you would hear some real accusations and rudeness.

Offline liam

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 709
When did men get so whiny? Man up and be a gentlemen and you'll be fine. It's about time many of these nasty dudes were held responsible for their criminal behavior.

We have a tidal wave of men having their lives ruined by women merely pointing their finger -no due process etc, and those who complain are "whiny"? Also, the exhaustion from the mental gymnastics it would take to explain how reputation is relevant for one sex, but not the other, in one of these cases, may explain why you never answered my question.

I didn't see your question but feel free to make a false accusation.

Does the reputation of the woman making the accusation matter?

Of course it would.

Feel free to not apologise for false accusation.

Manners matter.

I offered a theory, I didn’t levy an accusation.

I agree with you that it would matter, many in the #MeToo movement, and on the 3rd wave feminist side, would not.

Maybe your theory sounded like a veiled accusation to me? I can't understand what you are saying in your last little statement, maybe gibberish?

I agree with you that the history of the accuser would and should matter. However, many members of today’s #metoo movement, including 3rd wavers, subscribe to “Believe All Women”, and would oppose that reasonable idea. If you took that position to Twitter, for example, you would hear some real accusations and rudeness.

There will always be rude people and people that lie. Those people create as many problems for themselves as they do for others. So on that we can agree.

Offline Beat LA

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 838
  • Mr. Emoji

Honest question - why is it okay to tell a guy to "man up", when the female equivalent, whatever that might be, lol, would undoubtedly be seen as a sexist remark?

Of course men and women are different but being a gentleman and a lady still matter to me. If being a man for you is crying about things then go for it. You are totally free to do that. I conduct myself the way I think a man in the world should act. You can decide what kind of man you want to be. I wasn't telling a specific man to man up. I was simple stating surprise at how whiny men have gotten. Maybe even people in general. See NBA players as a good example. Do you think that Larry Bird would ever cry the way LeBron does? If you think it's a sexist remark that's your business. I don't.

How am I crying about things? I'm simply pointing out a double standard, here. I've seen plenty of women on TV, etc., simply dismiss arguments by telling guys to "man up" ::). Now imagine if that situation was reversed. If a guy on TV ever said anything like that to/about a woman, he'd be instantly crucified in the news, on social media, and presumably fired, and rightfully so, I might add, so why are women allowed to get away with that crap? Sorry, but that just isn't fair, to me.

I guess that it's kind of like a woman hating one woman call another woman a cow, but that same individual has no problem in calling a guy a pig ::). Like, wat, lol?

Offline Beat LA

• Tiny Archibald
  • Mr. Emoji
Also in this survey, 20 percent of young men think that asking a sexual favor is NOT sexual harassment so there's that.

Yeah...

Offline liam

• Ed Macauley

Honest question - why is it okay to tell a guy to "man up", when the female equivalent, whatever that might be, lol, would undoubtedly be seen as a sexist remark?

Of course men and women are different but being a gentleman and a lady still matter to me. If being a man for you is crying about things then go for it. You are totally free to do that. I conduct myself the way I think a man in the world should act. You can decide what kind of man you want to be. I wasn't telling a specific man to man up. I was simple stating surprise at how whiny men have gotten. Maybe even people in general. See NBA players as a good example. Do you think that Larry Bird would ever cry the way LeBron does? If you think it's a sexist remark that's your business. I don't.

How am I crying about things? I'm simply pointing out a double standard, here. I've seen plenty of women on TV, etc., simply dismiss arguments by telling guys to "man up" ::). Now imagine if that situation was reversed. If a guy on TV ever said anything like that to/about a woman, he'd be instantly crucified in the news, on social media, and presumably fired, and rightfully so, I might add, so why are women allowed to get away with that crap? Sorry, but that just isn't fair, to me.

I guess that it's kind of like a woman hating one woman call another woman a cow, but that same individual has no problem in calling a guy a pig ::). Like, wat, lol?

I wasn't talking about you specifically but men and maybe I should've said people, in general. To me "man up" means being what you feel like you should be as a person and not some BS macho concept.

Offline Beat LA

• Tiny Archibald
  • Mr. Emoji

I wasn't talking about you specifically but men and maybe I should've said people, in general. To me "man up" means being what you feel like you should be as a person and not some BS macho concept.

Lol, it's fine, but apparently we have vastly different definitions when it comes to "man up", which, to me, has always meant "get over it/suck it up because you're a guy" ::), or at least that's the manner in which it has always been presented in my experience :-\.

Offline feckless

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 78
"I've got to use some Tic Tacs, just in case I start kissing her...you know I am automatically attracted to beautiful---I just start kissing them ..... and when you're a star, you can do anything ..grab them by the ???"

I am not sure it is enough of a tidal wave of men being called out for their treatment of women and I am not sure enough are being instantly crucified.  None of those well publicized men, that I am aware of, are victims of a single incident by one woman. 

It is ridiculous if young men really don't know the line but we have all seen and read about too many men who cross that line.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

Offline konkmv

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 74
Sexting is more common nowdays... people have no guts to flirt...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 01:45:56 AM by konkmv »

Offline gouki88

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 31

Lol, it's fine, but apparently we have vastly different definitions when it comes to "man up", which, to me, has always meant "get over it/suck it up because you're a guy" ::), or at least that's the manner in which it has always been presented in my experience :-\.
Agree with Beat LA here. I’ve never heard it used any other way

Offline Beat LA

• Tiny Archibald
  • Mr. Emoji
I'd also like to know as to how many young women believe that asking a guy out for a drink constitutes as sexual harassment.

Offline Beat LA

• Tiny Archibald
  • Mr. Emoji
It is ridiculous if young men really don't know the line but we have all seen and read about too many men who cross that line.

You're talking about the line insofar as it pertains to sexual harassment, right?

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders
I'd also like to know as to how many young women believe that asking a guy out for a drink constitutes as sexual harassment.

Roughly 12.5%, which ended up lower than men. Also, less woman interpreted asking for a sexual favor as sexual favor than men.

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders
"I've got to use some Tic Tacs, just in case I start kissing her...you know I am automatically attracted to beautiful---I just start kissing them ..... and when you're a star, you can do anything ..grab them by the ???"

I am not sure it is enough of a tidal wave of men being called out for their treatment of women and I am not sure enough are being instantly crucified.  None of those well publicized men, that I am aware of, are victims of a single incident by one woman. 

Are you suggesting that we make conversation about a women, even private conversation between two men, illegal? I'm confused about the relevance of that quote.

That line is subjective. Nobody knows what the line is anymore. Hence the post about a huge percentage of men believing asking a woman to get a drink is sexual harassment.

Offline liam

• Ed Macauley

When people are talking the biggest impediment in communicate is making sure we are using the same words to mean the same thing to both people.

Offline Beat LA

• Tiny Archibald
  • Mr. Emoji

Roughly 12.5%, which ended up lower than men. Also, less woman interpreted asking for a sexual favor as sexual favor than men.

My mistake, as I forgot to enlarge the table, lol, although those figures as they pertain to the answers submitted by women are...interesting? Brb, requesting that The Economist ask more than 16 people for survey, LOL ::) ;D.