Author Topic: Jaylen Brown and Scary Terry are keepers  (Read 4977 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown and Scary Terry are keepers
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 09:41:18 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
So we're not benching a small forward who may not perform back at his previous all star levels for a few games to gauge where he is with two youngsters that may very well be all stars next year because he makes max money? Some sound logic you guys have there, I guess Hondo should have never been a 6th man.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 09:42:04 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
The last two games are a great example of why it's important not to overreact to one game. Marcus played one of his best games of the playoffs in game 5. Impressive defense, and actually was pretty good on offense - only a few bad shots, lots of good passes and a few buckets we really needed. Terry was ice cold.

Then in game 6, Terry basically kept us in the game on offense and played solid defense, scrambling around screens with maximum effort. Meanwhile, after a good start in the first quarter, Smart was pretty bad the rest of the way. Blown rotations leading to Jeff Green dunks and both Baynes and Stevens pulling him aside to wake him up. Bad heat check threes when we really didn't need them.

If you look at only one of these games to decide who each player is, you come up with a very different impression.

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 10:00:30 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
So we're not benching a small forward who may not perform back at his previous all star levels for a few games to gauge where he is with two youngsters that may very well be all stars next year because he makes max money? Some sound logic you guys have there, I guess Hondo should have never been a 6th man.
I don't agree with the reasoning that because he's a max guy, he should start. We've seen star players come off the bench (from Hondo, to McHale, to Ginobli), so that doesn't really stand up.

However, I think Hayward should start due to the way he actually plays the game. He's an elite facilitator on the wing, which is something both Tatum and Brown aren't good at (at the moment). He's a great shooter from deep, good and versatile defender - much stronger than Brown - and incredibly consistent. I think he'd be the perfect guy next to our two youngsters.

I'm sure Brad will figure it out. It's a very good problem to have
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2018, 10:12:11 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Tatum is a keeper too.

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2018, 10:54:53 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You gauge where Hayward is in trainging camp and the preseason then set your lineup. Last year when Stevens did that, he came away with a lineup on opening night of Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford. See no reason why that is going to change, especially with the development of the Jays.

Also, Havlicek was a six man those early years because the Celtics had a stacked lineup of Cousy/Ramsay/Loscutoff/Heinsohn/Russell and had come off 4 straight championships with iterations of that lineup. Havlicek had to prove himself. Sam Jones came off the bench a bunch of year because Ramsay was in front of him. Its the way things were back then.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 11:15:53 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2018, 11:04:49 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My keepers are:

Irving
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Horford
Rozier
Smart
Morris
Theis
Baynes

That's a championship rotation.

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2018, 11:09:37 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Smart may not be a great shooter...but the grit he brought tonight was fantastic.  He's not the best Celtic on the floor but he wins the grit award every single night.  My favorite play was when he dove over Lebron on the ground and yanked the ball out of his hands in the process.  Also the block on Lebron was awesome, especially giving up so much size....

If Smart was a better shooter or exercised better judgment on his shot selection he would be such a gun player with all the intangibles he brings to the team. He finishes well at the rim.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2018, 11:13:17 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

I think you start the five players you feel give you the best chance to start the game well. Obviously matchups dictate that to a certain point. End of day it's about how many minutes they are playing and they will all get minutes. Assuming no change to the team over the summer I would expect the same starting five that started the season (Kyrie, Jaylen, Jayson, Gordon and Al).

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2018, 11:15:24 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
The last two games are a great example of why it's important not to overreact to one game. Marcus played one of his best games of the playoffs in game 5. Impressive defense, and actually was pretty good on offense - only a few bad shots, lots of good passes and a few buckets we really needed. Terry was ice cold.

Then in game 6, Terry basically kept us in the game on offense and played solid defense, scrambling around screens with maximum effort. Meanwhile, after a good start in the first quarter, Smart was pretty bad the rest of the way. Blown rotations leading to Jeff Green dunks and both Baynes and Stevens pulling him aside to wake him up. Bad heat check threes when we really didn't need them.

If you look at only one of these games to decide who each player is, you come up with a very different impression.

That's why the great players are the ones that are able to reduce the variation in performance level between games and provide consistent output. That's the next step in our guys, to get to that level where they can perform at the same level day in, day out.

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2018, 11:50:05 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

That's why the great players are the ones that are able to reduce the variation in performance level between games and provide consistent output. That's the next step in our guys, to get to that level where they can perform at the same level day in, day out.

Yeah, consistency is definitely a skill - and it separates the greats from the goods. Tatum’s efficiency is very steady, especially for a rookie, even when his overall production varies a bit.  Very good sign.

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2018, 11:56:09 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Smart may not be a great shooter...but the grit he brought tonight was fantastic.  He's not the best Celtic on the floor but he wins the grit award every single night.  My favorite play was when he dove over Lebron on the ground and yanked the ball out of his hands in the process.  Also the block on Lebron was awesome, especially giving up so much size....

If Smart was a better shooter or exercised better judgment on his shot selection he would be such a gun player with all the intangibles he brings to the team. He finishes well at the rim.

We have been hoping for this for YEARS now

He is wild and careless with the ball in stretches (momentum killing).  There are times late in games, he is "smarter" , less "riskier"

He doesn't put in this care, early in games.   IF he put this care early in away playoff games...I would be happy

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2018, 12:31:14 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
We had 13 less rebounds, and 4 more turnovers. Kevin Love got knocked out after 5 minutes. They were doubling Al, but Tatum, Baynes and Morris still only combined for 9 rebounds in 88 minutes.

That was why we lost.

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2018, 12:42:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Yeah, consistency is definitely a skill - and it separates the greats from the goods. Tatum’s efficiency is very steady, especially for a rookie, even when his overall production varies a bit.  Very good sign.

Tatum looked passive, scared, tentative last night, unlike in game home at 5

Hopefully this is only because he is a rookie

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2018, 12:51:16 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

Tatum looked passive, scared, tentative last night, unlike in game home at 5

Hopefully this is only because he is a rookie

Not his best game. But after a slow start he took 11 shots in the second half and finished 7-13. Would have scored more if he could get a call on his drives.  The efficiency, though, was there as it almost always is: better than 50%.

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2018, 02:19:44 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306

Hondo is irrelevant to the current Celtics. If that's such a place of honor how is it you're declaring Hayward to the bench?

I love our young guys, but neither is ready to beat out a veteran who was an all star in the loaded western conference. He carried a team to the playoffs, proved he can go out and get 20-25 almost every night. Neither of our young forwards has proven themselves ready to do that.

But sending Hayward to the bench isn't nearly as ludicrous as the notion that Rozier is a keeper and Irving is expendable.