Author Topic: A Bit Annoyed that the Cs Aren't Being Credited for Winning  (Read 4627 times)

Re: A Bit Annoyed that the Cs Aren't Being Credited for Winning
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 11:27:55 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
The worst I heard was on The Ringer's recent NBA podcast with Chris Ryan, Kevin O'Connor, etc. just yesterday.  They opened with "what would have happened if the Thunder were in the East?" and basically came to the insanely stupid conclusion that the Thunder would have beaten the Celtics.  And I hope KOC reads this post. 

These are the same people who all picked the Sixers to beat the Celtics in 5 or 6 games because the Sixers were "the best team in the East".  But after the fact it was that the Bucks or Sixers lost.  And now it's that Lebron is tired from too many games and his supporting cast is "trash".  Sorry, but Kevin Love was an all-star, they have plenty of other good (and high priced) players, and were considered Eastern conference favorites opening the season.

How would the Thunder have fared against the Raptors?  Probably not very well... and the Raptors were SWEPT by the Cavs.  "Lebron beat the Raptors" was the headline, not that the Raptors were better but lost it.  The Celtics have won 3 games against that same Cavs team.

How about this Chris Ryan & KOC - The Celtics were 22 and 8 against the Western Conference during the regular season, a 73% win rate.  The Thunder were 28 and 24, 54%.  There's your regular season answer.  And in the post-season the Celtics have been even better.

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 11:40:05 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I found this especially frustrating after game 5. I was flipping around to hear about the national perspective of how the Celtics beat the Cavs. Instead, it was all about LeBron. Yes, I understand LeBron has gone to an amazing 7 straight finals. However, the story line needs to shift to what are/did the Celtics do that other teams couldn't figure out against a LeBron lead team.

I also don't want to hear about LeBron being tired. The next lame excuse we'll hear is LeBron not showing up to training camp because he has a family and other business interest.

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 11:45:20 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The worst I heard was on The Ringer's recent NBA podcast with Chris Ryan, Kevin O'Connor, etc. just yesterday.  They opened with "what would have happened if the Thunder were in the East?" and basically came to the insanely stupid conclusion that the Thunder would have beaten the Celtics.  And I hope KOC reads this post. 

That sort of inane BS is why I can't even listen to The Ringer NBA podcast.

The Thunder were an awful team that never figured out how to play together.  They would have lost to the Sixers, Pacers, or Raptors, let alone the Celts.

I appreciate KOC's writing and analysis but I don't like him at all on podcasts.  It feels to me like he tries too hard to sound like "one of the guys."

As for Chris Ryan, he seems intelligent but seems to prefer to just engage in hot-take-ism and signal which teams he likes and does not like. 

I would say one of the biggest weaknesses of The Ringer, generally, is that too many of the younger talent try to be like the guy that hired them, instead of developing their own style.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 11:51:07 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'm sick and tired of the mainstream media. It's all about promoting their agenda. The more important the issue, the less I trust the media that they are telling the truth.

Having said that, basketball is just a game. At the end of the day, no matter what they say it's no big deal.

If anything, I'm glad that Smart (in particular) isn't getting the praise he deserves. Hopefully we'll re-sign him on the cheap this summer.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 12:54:47 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 11:54:29 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
How about this Chris Ryan & KOC - The Celtics were 22 and 8 against the Western Conference during the regular season, a 73% win rate.  The Thunder were 28 and 24, 54%.  There's your regular season answer.  And in the post-season the Celtics have been even better.

OKC was actually 20-10 against the Eastern conference, including going 0-2 against Boston.

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 11:57:21 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think the C's have gotten a lot of praise, but also they're expected to fail on the road again and then its game 7 and overall LBJ is expected to win that as he's the best player.

I just don't see the grievance. LBJ is always the biggest story along with the Warriors, just how it is with the best player and the best team. Until they aren't the best or are knocked out that is.

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 11:58:00 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Wednesday night/Thursday morning bothered me where the narrative skewed much more towards "
Lebron is gassed" rather than "Celtics win all important Game 5. One win from NBA Finals". 

More like why the Cavs lost than how the Celtics won with the emphasis on Lebron.
This bothered me too. No one wanted to discuss that a rookie put up 24 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals and 2 blocks and outplayed Lebron in the biggest game of either team's season.
It was though.

I know in the ringer podcast they said he was the best player on the floor in game 5.

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 12:03:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Wednesday night/Thursday morning bothered me where the narrative skewed much more towards "
Lebron is gassed" rather than "Celtics win all important Game 5. One win from NBA Finals". 

More like why the Cavs lost than how the Celtics won with the emphasis on Lebron.
This bothered me too. No one wanted to discuss that a rookie put up 24 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals and 2 blocks and outplayed Lebron in the biggest game of either team's season.
It was though.

I know in the ringer podcast they said he was the best player on the floor in game 5.
I don't go to the Ringer. I just browsed the morning tv talking heads on Fox Sports and ESPN then went to ESPN.com and saw nothing there. I am not a podcast person.

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 12:12:17 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

These are the same people who all picked the Sixers to beat the Celtics in 5 or 6 games because the Sixers were "the best team in the East".  But after the fact it was that the Bucks or Sixers lost.  And now it's that Lebron is tired from too many games and his supporting cast is "trash".  Sorry, but Kevin Love was an all-star, they have plenty of other good (and high priced) players, and were considered Eastern conference favorites opening the season.

How would the Thunder have fared against the Raptors?  Probably not very well... and the Raptors were SWEPT by the Cavs.  "Lebron beat the Raptors" was the headline, not that the Raptors were better but lost it.  The Celtics have won 3 games against that same Cavs team.

Yep. Hard to believe people who cover the sport get caught up in the illusion that can be created by recent matchups.

Everyone was hyping Philly and then they lose in 5 to Boston. At the start of the playoffs Toronto and Cleveland were good teams. Then Cleveland struggled against Indiana... not so good. They swept Toronto. They're great and favored against Boston, Toronto sucks suddenly. Boston wins the first two games against Cleveland and then it's that there's no good teams in the East again.

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 12:16:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I think the C's have gotten a lot of praise, but also they're expected to fail on the road again and then its game 7 and overall LBJ is expected to win that as he's the best player.

I just don't see the grievance. LBJ is always the biggest story along with the Warriors, just how it is with the best player and the best team. Until they aren't the best or are knocked out that is.

I think there's some grievance when the only article I saw on The Ringer website after the Game 5 win was "The Celtics Making The Finals Is The Worst Outcome" and the article itself was very shallow and basically amounted to "I resent Boston sports."
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 12:21:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
IF the C's eliminate the Cavs tonight or Sunday, Boston will get very little coverage...it will turn into where is james going? is it the last game in Cleveland?

It will be spun how the Cavs lost instead of why the Cs won.

Or "Lebron knew he didn't have good enough team to beat GSW/Rockets, so lost interest."

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 12:24:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
It's really happened during much of the playoffs, but it has been way worse against Cleveland.

Not only have the Cs been picked against each series, but the excuses mount up when they have won.

The Bucks didn't have a good coach.
The Sixers lost the game more than the Celtics won the game.
The Sixers are young.
Lebron is tired.
If any of the Cavs supporting cast shows up, it won't be a game.
The Celtics can only win at home.
There are more ...

At some point the narrative will change. If they were able to win the finals, or at least a few games, the narrative would be about injuries. There are already seeds of the narrative about "Western attrition" which could easily turn into excuses why the Warriors/Rockets could lose.

It just gets old. It's not sexy to talk about positional help defense or a balanced team offense. It's easier to talk about Giannis, or Simmons, or Emiid, or Lebron, or etc. It's easier to talk about blocks and 30 point games. It gets more clicks to talk about Lebron's 40 point games than it would to talk about how 6-7 Celtics score in double digits.

It would be fun to hear the talking heads have to stop making excuses for the Celtics opponents.

I actually love the disrespect.

It motivates me as a fan. Love debating the doubters. Look at all the so called fans who picked against us vs. Milwaukee, and then Philly. I won't mention CLE, because we haven't won any thing yet.

And, more importantly, it motivates our team.  They must love having the big chip on their shoulder created by all these doubts in the press.

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 12:26:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/5/25/17393842/brad-stevens-celtics-basketball-coach-genius

Paul Flannery is doing good writing about the Celts.  Always worth a read.

Chad Finn is good too, although he's a hometown guy.

He had a nice line yesterday about how Ty Lue is "at least a C short of a clue."
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 01:03:00 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
What spurred this post was listening to the Ringer podcast, which I have generally enjoyed.

They dismissed the Cs off-hand against either the Rockets or Warriors. With how both are playing right now, it just seemed disrespectful.

Then yesterday, I was listening to Cowherd, who I generally like (even when he says dumb stuff he says it in a new insightful way), who dismissed the Cs again.

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2018, 01:14:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
What spurred this post was listening to the Ringer podcast, which I have generally enjoyed.

They dismissed the Cs off-hand against either the Rockets or Warriors. With how both are playing right now, it just seemed disrespectful.

Then yesterday, I was listening to Cowherd, who I generally like (even when he says dumb stuff he says it in a new insightful way), who dismissed the Cs again.

What gets me is these guys don't admit their prior underassessments of this team; they chalk it up to other factors (injury, bad coaching, etc.).  I can't wait for us to keep showing them how stupid they are.