Author Topic: A Bit Annoyed that the Cs Aren't Being Credited for Winning  (Read 4626 times)

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
It's really happened during much of the playoffs, but it has been way worse against Cleveland.

Not only have the Cs been picked against each series, but the excuses mount up when they have won.

The Bucks didn't have a good coach.
The Sixers lost the game more than the Celtics won the game.
The Sixers are young.
Lebron is tired.
If any of the Cavs supporting cast shows up, it won't be a game.
The Celtics can only win at home.
There are more ...

At some point the narrative will change. If they were able to win the finals, or at least a few games, the narrative would be about injuries. There are already seeds of the narrative about "Western attrition" which could easily turn into excuses why the Warriors/Rockets could lose.

It just gets old. It's not sexy to talk about positional help defense or a balanced team offense. It's easier to talk about Giannis, or Simmons, or Emiid, or Lebron, or etc. It's easier to talk about blocks and 30 point games. It gets more clicks to talk about Lebron's 40 point games than it would to talk about how 6-7 Celtics score in double digits.

It would be fun to hear the talking heads have to stop making excuses for the Celtics opponents.

Re: A Bit Annoyed that the Cs Aren't Being Credited for Winning
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 10:03:32 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Let them find their excuses...I don't mind, as long as we keep winning. If we manage to reach the NBA finals (we are very close) this team should be on every kind of C's legendary lists. Despite all the odds, they never stopped surprising us all year long.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 10:14:58 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Well, champions tend to be credited historically more than in the present moment. So the Celtics just need to win 5 more games and the excuse narratives will be forgotten as future generations see the Boston Celtics as 2018 Champions and forget hot takes of the day.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 10:20:55 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wednesday night/Thursday morning bothered me where the narrative skewed much more towards "
Lebron is gassed" rather than "Celtics win all important Game 5. One win from NBA Finals". 

More like why the Cavs lost than how the Celtics won with the emphasis on Lebron.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 10:25:11 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
It’s disgusting to hear the media drool all over the cavs and lebron but that’s where the money is and the nba and media only care about the money.  Screw the integrity of the sport.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 10:27:00 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
LeBron is going to be the big story, both because of his fame but more fairly because he's come out of the East seven straight freaking times. He's also having one of the best individual playoff runs in recent history. Even if we win expect a lot of "where's LeBron going?!?!" takes instead of the afterthought of us in the Finals.

I've still seen a ton of praise for our team, both the players and Brad. Barkley was flat-out effusive after Game 1 or 2. But the transcendent superstar who's done it again and again is going to get the lion's share of attention. Good. Let our guys feel disrespected, and let em feel it again in the next round.

Wednesday night/Thursday morning bothered me where the narrative skewed much more towards "
Lebron is gassed" rather than "Celtics win all important Game 5. One win from NBA Finals". 

More like why the Cavs lost than how the Celtics won with the emphasis on Lebron.

I agree with this. The way to blend those narratives is to talk about how the scrappy young Celtics are dismantling LeBron and his Cavs and have pushed them to the brink. Ground the fatigue story in the deeper context of the series overall. Instead the discussion never seems to stray out of LeBron's person.

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 10:36:59 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
IF the C's eliminate the Cavs tonight or Sunday, Boston will get very little coverage...it will turn into where is james going? is it the last game in Cleveland?

It will be spun how the Cavs lost instead of why the Cs won.

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 10:41:36 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
And if we do reach the finals and end up drawing Houston, I think we have a much better chance of taking the whole thing. If they squeak past GS, and Chris Paul has any hammy issues...

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 10:43:12 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
And if we do reach the finals and end up drawing Houston, I think we have a much better chance of taking the whole thing. If the squeak past GS, and Chris Paul has any hammy issues...

Yep. Boston has the wings to handle them. Play better defense than GS. Would love to see Rockets get through but have Paul's injury just linger throughout the finals. Houston only plays 7 guys with Paul.

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 10:45:50 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
IF the C's eliminate the Cavs tonight or Sunday, Boston will get very little coverage...it will turn into where is james going? is it the last game in Cleveland?

It will be spun how the Cavs lost instead of why the Cs won.
Been the story so far these playoffs. Who cares? At some point the narrative will change. It will have to if they play HOU or GS and make it competitive. Then it will be, "Would Cs have won it all if Kyrie and/or Hayward were healthy. "

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 10:54:09 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

This bothered me too. No one wanted to discuss that a rookie put up 24 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals and 2 blocks and outplayed Lebron in the biggest game of either team's season.

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 10:58:55 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
It's really happened during much of the playoffs, but it has been way worse against Cleveland.

Not only have the Cs been picked against each series, but the excuses mount up when they have won.

The Bucks didn't have a good coach.
The Sixers lost the game more than the Celtics won the game.
The Sixers are young.
Lebron is tired.
If any of the Cavs supporting cast shows up, it won't be a game.
The Celtics can only win at home.
There are more ...

At some point the narrative will change. If they were able to win the finals, or at least a few games, the narrative would be about injuries. There are already seeds of the narrative about "Western attrition" which could easily turn into excuses why the Warriors/Rockets could lose.

It just gets old. It's not sexy to talk about positional help defense or a balanced team offense. It's easier to talk about Giannis, or Simmons, or Emiid, or Lebron, or etc. It's easier to talk about blocks and 30 point games. It gets more clicks to talk about Lebron's 40 point games than it would to talk about how 6-7 Celtics score in double digits.

It would be fun to hear the talking heads have to stop making excuses for the Celtics opponents.

Absolutely...great post.

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 11:14:45 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I understand the frustration, but hopefully the Cs use it as fuel.

There are always going to be "alternative storylines" that people can focus on. If the Cs get to the Finals against a Paul-less Rockets team and win, some people will attribute that to the Rockets missing Paul; if the Cs lose, it'll be about how awesome the Rockets are to overcome the loss of Paul. Likewise, if the Cs get to face the Warriors and win, it'll probably be because Curry's hobbled or Iggy's hobbled or some such thing; and it the Cs lose, we'll have to go through yet another offseason hearing about how wonderful the Warriors are.

But if Boston somehow manages to win No. 18 this season, all this stuff will be irrelevant to me—it's not as if Boston will have had a cakewalk to the title, what with missing its two best players and having to go through so many media darlings (Giannis, Embiid, Simmons, LeBron, Harden/Durant, Curry).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 11:22:00 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If the Celts make the Finals, especially if the Rockets sans Chris Paul also somehow make the Finals, I guarantee you that the number one thing we'll hear is "Man, what a boring matchup.  When's the draft?  This off-season is going to be super exciting!"

The factors at play here are:

- Boston fatigue; people resent / despise Boston
- Distaste that people have for a coach that gets as much or more credit as his players
- Marquee star of the team is Al Horford, a guy people find boring in a Duncan sorta way
- Celts are missing their best players so the instinct is to assume their opponents have choked
- The Celts are a great defensive team that is decent at best on offense.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 11:25:26 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
If the Celts make the Finals, especially if the Rockets sans Chris Paul also somehow make the Finals, I guarantee you that the number one thing we'll hear is "Man, what a boring matchup.  When's the draft?  This off-season is going to be super exciting!"

The factors at play here are:

- Boston fatigue; people resent / despise Boston
- Distaste that people have for a coach that gets as much or more credit as his players
- Marquee star of the team is Al Horford, a guy people find boring in a Duncan sorta way
- Celts are missing their best players so the instinct is to assume their opponents have choked
- The Celts are a great defensive team that is decent at best on offense.

At least we'll get plenty of '81/'86 Finals retrospectives.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team