Author Topic: Players Look Gassed- Early Season start a reason?  (Read 1121 times)

Players Look Gassed- Early Season start a reason?
« on: May 25, 2018, 01:12:32 AM »

Offline JAM

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Yes, coaches have shortened the bench, but most players look gassed. I was wondering how much the season beginning two weeks earlier last October may be a contributing factor? 

The Celtics who are younger and more inexperienced (i.e. not used to season usually starting later) seem to be less impacted than the other three teams.

Re: Players Look Gassed- Early Season start a reason?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 01:22:55 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Yes, coaches have shortened the bench, but most players look gassed. I was wondering how much the season beginning two weeks earlier last October may be a contributing factor? 

The Celtics who are younger and more inexperienced (i.e. not used to season usually starting later) seem to be less impacted than the other three teams.

That's a really good point. It could very well be a factor.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 01:37:45 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

That's a really good point. It could very well be a factor.

Nothing to do with early season start, but more to do with age of teams and the faster pace of the modern game. And yes it has been a factor and should continue to be a factor.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 01:39:39 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Earlier start is meaningless. The minutes is what matters

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 02:13:57 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
What they lack in experience, they can make up for in energy and effort.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 02:35:42 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I don’t think two weeks is that big a deal when it meant less back-to-backs.

I’m not sure how much more a factor fatigue is this playoffs compared to any other. We all know ESPN is running with the LeBron fatigue storyline, and he very well may be because his team had him play every game during the regular season for the first time in his career. I think he’s played more minutes this season in like 7 years. He’s 33 and has never carried more of a load than this season.

But everyone else? I don’t see why the same amount of games spread out from 5.5 months to 6 will make a noticeable difference.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 07:02:16 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The older guys are the ones who look gassed.   Age is a big reason!

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 07:33:52 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I don’t think two weeks is that big a deal when it meant less back-to-backs.

I’m not sure how much more a factor fatigue is this playoffs compared to any other. We all know ESPN is running with the LeBron fatigue storyline, and he very well may be because his team had him play every game during the regular season for the first time in his career. I think he’s played more minutes this season in like 7 years. He’s 33 and has never carried more of a load than this season.

But everyone else? I don’t see why the same amount of games spread out from 5.5 months to 6 will make a noticeable difference.
Rachel Nichols says that it is very important to LeBron that he hide his exhaustion.  So Game 5 was very revealing.  Celts need to keep up the pace and pressure.