Author Topic: Greg Monroe (WTH!!)  (Read 3766 times)

Re: Greg Monroe (WTH!!)
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 04:14:07 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Buyout guys always seem to be overhyped and underdelivered. Can't remember the last one to make a real difference.

The playoffs have basically confirmed what most people expected - Monroe's game has no place at the elite playoff level we're shooting for. He's much too flawed and limited. Oh well.
P. J. Brown?
Boris Diaw?
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 04:26:16 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Buyout guys always seem to be overhyped and underdelivered. Can't remember the last one to make a real difference.

The playoffs have basically confirmed what most people expected - Monroe's game has no place at the elite playoff level we're shooting for. He's much too flawed and limited. Oh well.
P. J. Brown?

Brown was retired, not a buyout.

Boris Diaw?

That's probably the right answer, and even he wasn't great (6/5/2.5 per) in those playoffs, just a competent 5th starter.  But he definitely contributed.

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 05:04:45 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Crazy how centers of his style have become so antiquated. Against the right team, he could be useful. Had a pretty solid game against HOU earlier in the season. Not sure he'd get much of a go vs GS.

Considering the options and the need to use the injury exception money, I had/have no issue with the signing. It was free money and he had the highest upside of possible candidates.

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 05:25:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

P. J. Brown?

Boris Diaw?

That's probably the right answer, and even he wasn't great (6/5/2.5 per) in those playoffs, just a competent 5th starter.  But he definitely contributed.
TP, thats right. Just coming to me now, KG and someone else talked him into coming out of retirement. My memory is going in my advanced years. Lol.

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 05:32:04 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
The League has changed...Roy Hibbert would be sitting next to Monroe on the bench, if we had him.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 05:33:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's hard to find minutes for Greg Monroe against the best teams in the league due to all the switching and 3 point shooting.

The Raps have trouble finding high leverage minutes for Jonas Valanciunas and he's way better than Monroe.

I still think there's a lot of value to guys like Monroe playing 20 MPG or so during the regular season, and for certain matchups in the playoffs.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 05:42:16 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
What I like about him is that if called on he will rebound, pass well,set screens and score if we go to him.  The way our current roster is (with health) we might have to call on a semi for one game, Monroe, Larkin, Baynes for more minutes etc.

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 05:45:56 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Its not a bad thing that Baynes has played well enough to make Monroe irrelevant.

I agree with Triboy the minutes Monroe put in against the Bucks and Sixers made him worth the signing. In general though I'm just really satisfied that Baynes has stepped up so much.

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 06:13:32 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I like Monroe and has done good this season..i would put him in to knock the heck out of j.r. smith!!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 06:55:08 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Meh. Even when Monroe gets the ball in a good spot for a traditional big, he’s done very little in the playoffs. Moves like the game is just too fast for him. Gets blocked, rushes shots. Given his name I was hoping for more. But then I remember he was a buyout.

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 07:20:41 PM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Don't sleep on Monroe if we advance and face Houston.

He went for 18/6 in 19 minutes last time we played them, and was +23 on the night.
In PHO, he put up 20/11 in 26 minutes and was only -2 on a night they lost by 26.

He might not match those numbers, but there's a reasonable chance he could actually be a weapon against them or at least force some matchups.

Yeah, he's not a trending player, but he's been a pretty productive and skilled big man for a very long time and it didn't suddenly just disappear. Same guys that isn't really a triple double threat, also isn't a stiff.

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2018, 07:31:27 PM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Meh. Even when Monroe gets the ball in a good spot for a traditional big, he’s done very little in the playoffs. Moves like the game is just too fast for him. Gets blocked, rushes shots. Given his name I was hoping for more. But then I remember he was a buyout.

I've had the same impression, but at the same time, he's more been productive than you might think. Against MIL when he had that ugly 4-12 shooting, 5 turnover game he also pulled down 7 offensive rebounds and shot 10 free throws in 23 minutes. Morris and Rozier actually had worse games in that loss.

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2018, 07:59:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Don't sleep on Monroe if we advance and face Houston.

He went for 18/6 in 19 minutes last time we played them, and was +23 on the night.
In PHO, he put up 20/11 in 26 minutes and was only -2 on a night they lost by 26.

He might not match those numbers, but there's a reasonable chance he could actually be a weapon against them or at least force some matchups.

Yeah, he's not a trending player, but he's been a pretty productive and skilled big man for a very long time and it didn't suddenly just disappear. Same guys that isn't really a triple double threat, also isn't a stiff.

Yeah if we (hopefully) advance and play Houston (assuming they win their series), Monroe could be real useful. He matches up well against Houston it seems.

That said, yeah up to this point he's been disappointing. We knew the defense was a liability, but his inability to finish well at the rim has been frustrating too in these playoffs.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 08:37:27 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The short handed team we have now are on the brink of making the finals and I'm cautiously optimistic that we can get it done. I wouldn't even care if they got swept in the finals. Just the satisfaction of knocking off Lebron and there NOT be a Cavs vs Warriors IV will be most satisfying.

Anyhow Am I the only one totally disappointed in Greg Monroe? When we signed him I had high hopes thinking he was going to take significant minutes away from Baynes. What do you guys Think is going on? Is it just a matchup thing and he can't stay in front of the Cavs small lineup or is he just...... I don't know. What do you guys think? Will he be a factor vs Rockets/Warriors?

Why would you want anyone to take significant minutes away from Baynes? He has been beyond stellar for us this season, especially in this series. Even more so in game 5.

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 08:47:08 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

P. J. Brown?

Boris Diaw?

TP, thats right. Just coming to me now, KG and someone else talked him into coming out of retirement. My memory is going in my advanced years. Lol.

I think we conflate it with Sam Cassell who was a buyout that year and sucked.