Author Topic: Greg Monroe (WTH!!)  (Read 3768 times)

Greg Monroe (WTH!!)
« on: May 24, 2018, 01:12:18 PM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
The short handed team we have now are on the brink of making the finals and I'm cautiously optimistic that we can get it done. I wouldn't even care if they got swept in the finals. Just the satisfaction of knocking off Lebron and there NOT be a Cavs vs Warriors IV will be most satisfying.

Anyhow Am I the only one totally disappointed in Greg Monroe? When we signed him I had high hopes thinking he was going to take significant minutes away from Baynes. What do you guys Think is going on? Is it just a matchup thing and he can't stay in front of the Cavs small lineup or is he just...... I don't know. What do you guys think? Will he be a factor vs Rockets/Warriors?

Re: Greg Monroe (WTH!!)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 01:14:43 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
What do you guys think? Will he be a factor vs Rockets/Warriors?
He cannot defend the Cavs, so he has zero shot against the Rockets or the Warriors.

Neither team plays big enough to give him any minutes, except in a blowout or desperation move.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 01:27:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
In general I think Monroe has revealed himself to a be a third string C, not a very useful player in the league now-a-days given his inability to cover a PnR no matter the scheme.

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 01:39:46 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He cannot defend the Cavs, so he has zero shot against the Rockets or the Warriors.

Neither team plays big enough to give him any minutes, except in a blowout or desperation move.
hes not useful for spare minutes against nene?

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 01:50:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I agree with this

Moving fwd he will be getting less and less min off the bench.  Unless Celts play the Rockets in the finals

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 01:50:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The short handed team we have now are on the brink of making the finals and I'm cautiously optimistic that we can get it done. I wouldn't even care if they got swept in the finals. Just the satisfaction of knocking off Lebron and there NOT be a Cavs vs Warriors IV will be most satisfying.

Anyhow Am I the only one totally disappointed in Greg Monroe? When we signed him I had high hopes thinking he was going to take significant minutes away from Baynes. What do you guys Think is going on? Is it just a matchup thing and he can't stay in front of the Cavs small lineup or is he just...... I don't know. What do you guys think? Will he be a factor vs Rockets/Warriors?

Monroe if nothing else has already done his part vs Bucks and 76ers. He was worth the signing

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 01:57:48 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Buyout guys always seem to be overhyped and underdelivered. Can't remember the last one to make a real difference.

The playoffs have basically confirmed what most people expected - Monroe's game has no place at the elite playoff level we're shooting for. He's much too flawed and limited. Oh well.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 01:59:37 PM »

Offline Miranda-Kerr

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
  • MEAN GREEN MONSTAR TEAM
In general I think Monroe has revealed himself to a be a third string C, not a very useful player in the league now-a-days given his inability to cover a PnR no matter the scheme.

Agreed, he will get minutes if Thompson or someone starts to get on a roll. The type of guy you can put in to slow the game down and get some easy post up's

Unfortunately our starting C/PF is 2nd all NBA defense and the big guy from down under is elevating his game these playoffs.

If Semi can confuse Ty Lue then an in form Monroe could be amazing haha

Personally would like to see him stick around next year and see what he can do after a full training camp with the team. But with Theis coming back and hopefully an improved Yabu there may not be a place for him

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 02:03:16 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
He's not a terrible injury insurance in case someone goes down

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 02:06:19 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Normally if you are bad on defense, you have to be great on defense. He is neither. He's severely unathletic for an NBA player (can he seriously not dunk?). He's also very lazy. Ainge really missed here (although most of us did too).

He is not worth a contract. I don't care how much it is. They're going to need to find an underused big in the NBA that is mobile and can shoot a 3.

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 02:07:24 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Normally if you are bad on defense, you have to be great on defense. He is neither. He's severely unathletic for an NBA player (can he seriously not dunk?). He's also very lazy. Ainge really missed here (although most of us did too).
what choice did Ainge have? All the other buy out guys went to other teams

It was worth rolling the dice on a former all star still in his 20s

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 02:07:36 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Wasn't he on the bench in Phoenix when we found him?  I mean, you need to be disappointed in yourself if you expected much at all.  He is what he is; what else can you ask of the guy?

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 02:13:58 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I expected him to play better than he's ever played before.

He is not a Celtic.

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 02:18:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
what choice did Ainge have? All the other buy out guys went to other teams

It was worth rolling the dice on a former all star still in his 20s
Monroe has never been an all-star.

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 02:22:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Buyout guys always seem to be overhyped and underdelivered. Can't remember the last one to make a real difference.

The playoffs have basically confirmed what most people expected - Monroe's game has no place at the elite playoff level we're shooting for. He's much too flawed and limited. Oh well.
P. J. Brown?