Author Topic: Interesting Noise at the top of the draft  (Read 3038 times)

Re: Interesting Noise at the top of the draft
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 12:00:11 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Ya what you have to remember is that half the noise coming out of these places is just smoke. It doesn't do a team a lot of good to have everybody know they like player X in spot Y. That kind of stuff is often a message to teams below them that if you want plyer X you can't just wait around and take him where you are you have to trade with us and move up. Thats what the Trae young stuff feels like to me. In some cases a team just puts it out there they like a guy to try and boost his value so that a team above them take hi and the guy they really wnat falls to them. It other cases a player is stiffing the team so they throw it out there that they never wanted him anyway just to head off a PR disaster, that may be what the Kings and Hawks are thinking with Doncic. Alot to consider.

Also, I think the MEM pick is the more likely pick we would move to trade up. The SAC pick is more valuable, but theres also a chance it lands #1 and the team acquiring it gets a pick in the 20's. The MEM pick may have a lower expected value, buts its safe. 1-8, 1-6, unprotected means you are either getting a pick in the back half of the lottery (cuz Mem isnt making the playoffs) or an even better pick a couple years from now. So what value does 9-13 next year + Rozier and maybe #27 (since we probably don't need two rookies next year). That may be enough to get you up to 5-7 depending on who teams fall in love with.

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 12:04:14 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
I think Doncic will be a bust

I'm not sure about bust. I'm thinking he is more similar to Danilo Gallinari, but will recant from the highest mountain loudly when Doncic makes 1st Team All NBA.

Danilo was the rising star of the Euroleague at 19, Doncic was the MVP and best player on the team that won the title. I have higher expectations of Doncic.

Though I'll also say if Danilo doesn't f' up his knee and then get a risky experimental procedure that messes it up more I think he'd have had a much better career. The athleticism he lost losing basically two seasons to that knee and subsequent screw up was massive.

I wasn't aware of the nature of Gallinari's first knee procedure and had to google it. Here is a summary  in case anybody else is interested.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nuggets-danilo-gallinari-questions-his-first-doctors-knee-procedure/

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 01:14:44 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I think one of the most likely trades is Suns trade Ayton down to Sac for Doncic and a future pick (if the Suns aren't interested in any of the King's bigs)

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 01:22:04 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think Doncic will be a bust

I'm not sure about bust. I'm thinking he is more similar to Danilo Gallinari, but will recant from the highest mountain loudly when Doncic makes 1st Team All NBA.

Danilo was the rising star of the Euroleague at 19, Doncic was the MVP and best player on the team that won the title. I have higher expectations of Doncic.

Though I'll also say if Danilo doesn't f' up his knee and then get a risky experimental procedure that messes it up more I think he'd have had a much better career. The athleticism he lost losing basically two seasons to that knee and subsequent screw up was massive.

I wasn't aware of the nature of Gallinari's first knee procedure and had to google it. Here is a summary  in case anybody else is interested.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nuggets-danilo-gallinari-questions-his-first-doctors-knee-procedure/
Yeah Matt Moore mentioned the issue on a podcast I listened to and my eyes bugged out. Such a bad situation. I believe another player also had the procedure and it also went bad.

The funny but sad aspect to it is Nuggets and Gallo both claim it was the other side who brought up this surgery as an option. Just a whole lot of finger pointing about it.

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 01:24:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I think one of the most likely trades is Suns trade Ayton down to Sac for Doncic and a future pick (if the Suns aren't interested in any of the King's bigs)
I really don't think Sacramento does that.

They're already missing a likely premium pick in 2018 and have no other additional first round draft picks coming to them.

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 01:26:08 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

They're already missing a likely premium pick in 2018 and have no other additional first round draft picks coming to them.

Meant to say Kings get Ayton....
edit: oh, I did say that...okay I get you...

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 01:29:07 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Meant to say Kings get Ayton....
edit: oh, I did say that...okay I get you...
Rather I should say I don't think the Kings should do that.

Would they do it? Quite possibly, they are very dumb and could fall in love with Ayton.