Author Topic: Crazy to think Tatum already has a better playoff career than Hayward  (Read 3274 times)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Gordon Hayward career playoff stats:  19.6 points, 5.2 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 0.9 steals - 40%/36%/95% shooting - 15 games with 4 wins

Jayson Tatum career playoff stats:  18.4 points, 4.3 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 1.2 steals - 46%/33%/84%  - 17 games with 11 wins

Hayward put up great stats in the playoffs last year, but he has only been out of the first round once in his entire career. 

I feel bad for Gordon for a number of reasons, but one of them is that the guy came to Boston thinking he'd be "the man", but after the Kyrie trade, the injuries and the emergence of our young guys, there's a possibility he's going to be the 3rd or 4th best player on this team heading forward. 

Granted, I thought healthy Hayward was the best two-way player on the team.  I hope the guy can get healthy.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Hayward is a great defender, and that wont show up in stats. He's like horford, he does the little things on defense role switching correctly that add up to wins. He's multifaceted on offense being able to score from a lot of places, which helps spread the floor and mix lineups. That is incredibly valuable. Also, he has playmaking ability and he can bring the ball up the court, I mean these are list of intangibles that won't show up in stats but make a player a lot better than other players with same or better stats

Still tatums numbers look great. The future is so bright.  Hayward will be the best 2 way player and 2nd best offensive player on the team. I don't get the "I want to be the man" vibe from Hayward. He seems super team oriented  and ecstatic that the young guys are growing. He wants to win a ring more than anything and it takes things like tatum averaging about 20 PPG to make it happen

I think the crazy and funny thing to start thinking about is this - will Haywards first ring come from a team he played a total of 5 minutes on? Brad did get him involved in the video coordinator role  also so Hayward did contribute that way
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 03:28:59 AM by CelticsElite »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Gordon doesn’t seem like the type of player that cares if he is the “man”.  I thought he came here to win which we should big time next year.   

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Even crazier to think how much better this team will be WITH Hayward (and Kyrie) next year at this time.

The reality is that this team looking at DEEP playoff runs for the next several years, with many of them ending in mid-June.

I LOVE this.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Well it's gonna be #ringszn this year so I'm interested to see if Tatum wins FMVP or not 8)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Hayward is not the 4th best player on the team.. GH is still the 2nd most important player next to Kyrie. But Hayward may defer to either Brown or Tatum in terms of scoring but GH will help this team in so many ways other than score.

Im going to just savor every record being shattered by our beloved rook during this playoff run. He will beat Kareems record in 20+ playoff scoring in the next game or two so sky's the limit.

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Hayward is not the 4th best player on the team.. GH is still the 2nd most important player next to Kyrie. But Hayward may defer to either Brown or Tatum in terms of scoring but GH will help this team in so many ways other than score.

Im going to just savor every record being shattered by our beloved rook during this playoff run. He will beat Kareems record in 20+ playoff scoring in the next game or two so sky's the limit.

Right. Let's give credit where it's due for Kyrie and Hayward too.

Hayward and Kyrie, when a play breaks down, can make everyone spread the floor (then call for a screen - or not), and create something out of nothing.

On the other end, Hayward can pretty much always defend the best wing on the other team. We need to hide Tatum.

Looking forward to Hayward (and Kyrie) re-joining, and essentially having a Jimmy Butler-esque effect on the team, lifting everyone up on this young Celtics squad.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
For some people, this kind of thread topic is surely a pretext to "trade Hayward", "trade Kyrie" or "trade Rozier" discussions.  I say "don't do it".  Don't do anything except around the edges (add 1st round pick, re-sign Smart).  Just add Hayward and Kyrie, and voila! Championship.

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Hayward was an all star in a stacked Western Conference last year. If he's the 4th best player on our team next year, we're probably going to be favorites for a title. If you look at Hayward's career, he's been improving every year. We still may not have seen his best.

Ainge shouldn't be trading any of our main players in a trade that doesn't involve Anthony Davis.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If one compares Tatum to Hayward as Rookies then I can understand how the OP went this direction.

Tatum is mature beyond his years.  I think he is also able to break people down or will be, the guy is really good for a rookie.   I think his ceiling is much higher than some of the other rookies.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If one compares Tatum to Hayward as Rookies then I can understand how the OP went this direction.

Tatum is mature beyond his years.  I think he is also able to break people down or will be, the guy is really good for a rookie.   I think his ceiling is much higher than some of the other rookies.
I mean if we're comparing them as rookies, it's no comparison.  Tatum is head and shoulders better.  I'm talking about the entirety of Hayward's playoff career.  He's only won 4 games.  Tatum already has a better playoff resume. 

If Tatum develops as typical phenoms do, he could be better than Hayward as soon as next season.

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Tatum will be better in a couple of years but assuming he comes back from his injury close to his previous self, Hayward is currently the better player because he is more solid defensively, and he's also a proven playmaker.  Tatum is a good scorer to this point, but I don't see him making plays for others in the pick and roll quite yet.  Hayward will give us another pick and roll ball handler next year, and that will be more valuable for this teams scoring than isolation scoring which Tatum is very good at already.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Why do we INSIST on pitting our players against each other?!?

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't really care about the comparison but if we make the Finals Tatum is going to shatter the rookie playoff scoring record.  Could break it even if we don't.

Some guys play their whole careers without getting 400 playoff points. Ol Tater's gonna do it before he's old enough to drink. Pretty incredible.

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466

I mean if we're comparing them as rookies, it's no comparison.  Tatum is head and shoulders better.  I'm talking about the entirety of Hayward's playoff career.  He's only won 4 games.  Tatum already has a better playoff resume. 

If Tatum develops as typical phenoms do, he could be better than Hayward as soon as next season.

I know this might be a serious hot take, but at the rate Tatum and Brown have been improving this year, I wouldn't be surprised if both are either equal to or better than Hayward by the end of next season.  It might not happen, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if it did. 

for the eastern conf finals
Brown 19.6 ppg / 5 rpg / 1.8 assists / 31.8 min per game
Tatum 17.2 ppg / 3.8 rpg / 2.2 assists / 37 min per game