Author Topic: NBA player Sterling Brown tased by Milwaukee police  (Read 4742 times)

Re: NBA player Sterling Brown tased by Milwaukee police
« Reply #195 on: May 26, 2018, 04:02:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 906
USA TODAY: Sterling Brown reflects on controversial arrest: 'I gave in so they didn't pull out their guns'

https://usat.ly/2sgMSuD

« Reply #196 on: May 26, 2018, 04:55:17 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 31
USA TODAY: Sterling Brown reflects on controversial arrest: 'I gave in so they didn't pull out their guns'

Ahh, yet another ignorant statement by a brainwashed sheep trying to continue to push a statistical inaccuracy.  He should be happy he's gonna get paid from his lawsuit.  How about next time you don't park like a donkey butt in TWO handicapped spaces and this will never happen.

« Reply #197 on: May 26, 2018, 06:04:55 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1342

Ahh, yet another ignorant statement by a brainwashed sheep trying to continue to push a statistical inaccuracy.  He should be happy he's gonna get paid from his lawsuit.  How about next time you don't park like a donkey butt in TWO handicapped spaces and this will never happen.

I doubt there is too much disagreement that Brown's choice to park in handicapped spaces was wrong.  However, there may be disagreement about the nature of his reaction to the police and how the officers handled the incident. 

You call Brown a "brainwashed sheep trying to push a statistical innacuracy" based on his comment.  Not sure what you mean by that.  Not sure he was pushing anything -- just responding based on his past experiences.  It's possible that his conclusions about police are based on something that is innacurate -- I am certain some of your beliefs and some of mine are too.  But not sure what statistic you are referring too that you seem certain guided his comments.  You may not know him as well as you think you do.  A person's character and belief systems are rarely defined by a singular comment or an isolated behavior.

« Reply #198 on: May 27, 2018, 09:36:19 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 21
How many times have we seen people with nice cars park like idiots? How about not even a nice car? It happens a ton. Let's stop using that excuse.
Mock "trade deadline" team: Blazers.
PG-Lillard, Napier, Baldwin
SG-McCollum, Connaughton, Wilcox
SF-Fournier, Harkless, Layman
PF-Aminu, Davis
C- Nurkic, Leonard, Collins

« Reply #199 on: May 27, 2018, 10:11:05 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1038

This guy is not even in touch with reality.   The fact that he even said this implies that he was resisting them.

He went down when they tased him like a kid on a seesaw.   There was no giving in and the fact that he thought there was it so funny. 

« Reply #200 on: May 27, 2018, 10:27:52 AM »

Offline gouki88

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 39

This guy is not even in touch with reality.   The fact that he even said this implies that he was resisting them.

He went down when they tased him like a kid on a seesaw.   There was no giving in and the fact that he thought there was it so funny.
"I only obeyed LE because I was scared of being shot" in effect. Makes him sound ridiculous

« Reply #201 on: May 28, 2018, 08:55:07 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1038
"I only obeyed LE because I was scared of being shot" in effect. Makes him sound ridiculous

Sterling Brown action zero...

I thought the actual same thing.   

« Reply #202 on: June 19, 2018, 03:07:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27785
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Unreal:

Later in June, the same officer that tased Brown also joked also about tasing J.R. Smith after Game 1 of the NBA Finals. The Cavaliers guard rebounded the ball with less than four seconds left in the game, dribbling out the clock rather than going for the win.

The officer wrote on Facebook, "I hope JR Smith double parks in Walgreens handicap Parkin spots when he's in Milwaukee!" after the game.

Pure stupidity.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #203 on: June 19, 2018, 03:31:55 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 5389
Unreal:

Later in June, the same officer that tased Brown also joked also about tasing J.R. Smith after Game 1 of the NBA Finals. The Cavaliers guard rebounded the ball with less than four seconds left in the game, dribbling out the clock rather than going for the win.

The officer wrote on Facebook, "I hope JR Smith double parks in Walgreens handicap Parkin spots when he's in Milwaukee!" after the game.

Pure stupidity.
Sounds like a law enforcement officer that deserved a suspension and probably needs a ton of training in dealing with the public and how to de-esculate confrontational behavior.

« Reply #204 on: June 19, 2018, 03:48:39 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Unreal:

Pure stupidity.
Sounds like a law enforcement officer that deserved a suspension and probably needs a ton of training in dealing with the public and how to de-esculate confrontational behavior.
Who doesn't in this country right now...
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #205 on: June 19, 2018, 04:01:16 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27785
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Unreal:

Pure stupidity.

The thing is, I thought the officers involved *were* punished and given re-training.

Looks like it didn't sink in with this one.  When you embarrass your department, you don't brag about it a month later.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #206 on: June 20, 2018, 01:22:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2345
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
SI.com did a deep dive on Sterling Brown's complaint. It is worth a read:

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/19/milwaukee-bucks-sterling-brown-police-department-city

Some parts I hadn't known before that I found compelling:

Parking in a handicapped spot, though unlawful and morally objectionable, does not constitute a criminal act. Brown would later receive a $200 ticket for his parking violation; there is no argument from Brown or his attorneys that he didn’t deserve the ticket.

The problem, from Brown’s perspective, is pretty much everything else that happened from this point on. Officer Grams’s Body Worn Video Camera (BWVC) captured much of what then transpired. With that in mind, Brown’s attorneys note that according to MPD’s own standard operating procedures, Brown’s encounter with Grams should have been brief, uneventful and concluded with Grams writing a parking citation and going about his way. Indeed, when an MPD police officer speaks with a driver about violating a traffic law, “the driver may only be asked questions reasonably related to the nature of the traffic violation. Absent an articulable suspicion that the driver has committed or is about to commit a crime, no further questions are allowed and all questions must bear a reasonable relationship to the traffic violation at issue.”

As depicted in Brown’s complaint, Grams’s BWVC captured the following sequence of comments between Brown and Grams. Notice how Grams seems to give Brown a hard time and uses words that some would regard as coded racist terminology:

Grams: What’s your name—what’s your name?

Brown: It’s on there, Sterling Brown.

Grams: I’m asking you.

Brown: I’m telling you, Sterling Brown.

Grams: These are simple questions, man.

Brown: No, I’m answering them. I ain’t got no problems, but you’re touching me.

Grams: These are simple questions, and you’re being—and you’re being like—and you’re being all badass to me, alright?

Brown: I am not, but you touched me.

Grams: I asked you a question so I could verify this okay – you don’t think I see these that are – whatever – fake, so I’m asking your name.

Within a handful of minutes, several additional police cars arrived “at the scene of this parking violation matter.” Soon six police officers surrounded Brown as he stood next to his car. Two of the officers noticed that in the backseat of Brown’s car were paper targets that had bullet holes in them. They asked the unarmed Brown if he had a gun, and Brown said no. Officers then requested that Brown take his hands out of his pocket. Keep in mind, minutes earlier Brown had (with the officers watching) put his hands into his pocket to deactivate his car alarm and then took his hands out of his pockets—a move that implied that the small object in Brown’s pocket was not a gun or weapon, but merely a key fob.

At this point the encounter turned hurtful. Officer Bojan Samardzic reportedly pulled out his pistol, which was followed by another officer grabbing Brown’s left arm and still another kneeing Brown in the groin. Officers then “threw” the 6’6’’, 225-pound Brown to the pavement, which caused him neck pain and scratches.

As officers lay on top of Brown, Brown’s attorneys say their client “feared for his life.” Making matters worse for Brown, Sergeant Sean Mahnke allegedly asked if any of the officers had a Taser on them. When one said yes, he was ordered to use the Taser on Brown. The complaint asserts that Officer Samardzic then yelled “TASER! TASER! TASER!” as he repeatedly electrocuted Brown in the back. Brown could be heard expressing agony “while thousands of volts of electricity shot through his body.”

Officer Grams then allegedly stood on Brown’s legs, and commented to another officer, “If [Brown] hadn’t been such **** it would have been, ‘Hey, have a nice day!’, you know? But then I thought, okay he’s being an ass, he’s trying to hide something.” Several minutes later Grams reportedly added, “What is wrong with these people, man.” The phrase “these people” obviously invites questions about which “people” Grams was referring. It leads to a plausible inference that Grams was referring to Brown being African-American.

Officers then handcuffed Brown, who for approximately six minutes lay face-first on the cold and wet concrete. He was then taken by ambulance to nearby St. Francis Hospital, where he was treated for facial lacerations and two puncture wounds in his mid-back

It didn't look good before. It looks very back for Milwaukee PD now, if the complaint holds up.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #207 on: June 20, 2018, 01:34:37 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 517
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Listen, both sides are in the wrong, but the fact they had more than five officers, and tasered him? Like what the heck... This is what gives good policemen the bad rep.

Brown could've been compliant, and more willing to comply, but it doesn't mean he should end up being hit to the ground.

SI.com did a deep dive on Sterling Brown's complaint. It is worth a read:

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/19/milwaukee-bucks-sterling-brown-police-department-city

Some parts I hadn't known before that I found compelling:

Parking in a handicapped spot, though unlawful and morally objectionable, does not constitute a criminal act. Brown would later receive a $200 ticket for his parking violation; there is no argument from Brown or his attorneys that he didn’t deserve the ticket.

The problem, from Brown’s perspective, is pretty much everything else that happened from this point on. Officer Grams’s Body Worn Video Camera (BWVC) captured much of what then transpired. With that in mind, Brown’s attorneys note that according to MPD’s own standard operating procedures, Brown’s encounter with Grams should have been brief, uneventful and concluded with Grams writing a parking citation and going about his way. Indeed, when an MPD police officer speaks with a driver about violating a traffic law, “the driver may only be asked questions reasonably related to the nature of the traffic violation. Absent an articulable suspicion that the driver has committed or is about to commit a crime, no further questions are allowed and all questions must bear a reasonable relationship to the traffic violation at issue.”

As depicted in Brown’s complaint, Grams’s BWVC captured the following sequence of comments between Brown and Grams. Notice how Grams seems to give Brown a hard time and uses words that some would regard as coded racist terminology:

Grams: What’s your name—what’s your name?

Brown: It’s on there, Sterling Brown.

Grams: I’m asking you.

Brown: I’m telling you, Sterling Brown.

Grams: These are simple questions, man.

Brown: No, I’m answering them. I ain’t got no problems, but you’re touching me.

Grams: These are simple questions, and you’re being—and you’re being like—and you’re being all badass to me, alright?

Brown: I am not, but you touched me.

Grams: I asked you a question so I could verify this okay – you don’t think I see these that are – whatever – fake, so I’m asking your name.

Within a handful of minutes, several additional police cars arrived “at the scene of this parking violation matter.” Soon six police officers surrounded Brown as he stood next to his car. Two of the officers noticed that in the backseat of Brown’s car were paper targets that had bullet holes in them. They asked the unarmed Brown if he had a gun, and Brown said no. Officers then requested that Brown take his hands out of his pocket. Keep in mind, minutes earlier Brown had (with the officers watching) put his hands into his pocket to deactivate his car alarm and then took his hands out of his pockets—a move that implied that the small object in Brown’s pocket was not a gun or weapon, but merely a key fob.

At this point the encounter turned hurtful. Officer Bojan Samardzic reportedly pulled out his pistol, which was followed by another officer grabbing Brown’s left arm and still another kneeing Brown in the groin. Officers then “threw” the 6’6’’, 225-pound Brown to the pavement, which caused him neck pain and scratches.

As officers lay on top of Brown, Brown’s attorneys say their client “feared for his life.” Making matters worse for Brown, Sergeant Sean Mahnke allegedly asked if any of the officers had a Taser on them. When one said yes, he was ordered to use the Taser on Brown. The complaint asserts that Officer Samardzic then yelled “TASER! TASER! TASER!” as he repeatedly electrocuted Brown in the back. Brown could be heard expressing agony “while thousands of volts of electricity shot through his body.”

Officer Grams then allegedly stood on Brown’s legs, and commented to another officer, “If [Brown] hadn’t been such **** it would have been, ‘Hey, have a nice day!’, you know? But then I thought, okay he’s being an ass, he’s trying to hide something.” Several minutes later Grams reportedly added, “What is wrong with these people, man.” The phrase “these people” obviously invites questions about which “people” Grams was referring. It leads to a plausible inference that Grams was referring to Brown being African-American.

Officers then handcuffed Brown, who for approximately six minutes lay face-first on the cold and wet concrete. He was then taken by ambulance to nearby St. Francis Hospital, where he was treated for facial lacerations and two puncture wounds in his mid-back

It didn't look good before. It looks very back for Milwaukee PD now, if the complaint holds up.

It looks absolutely terrible. Jeez.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #208 on: June 20, 2018, 02:14:51 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Milwaukee PD doesn't come out of this looking great, but this article is horrible. Not only does it not mention how Brown talked back when asked to take his hands out of his pockets, but framing "What's wrong with these people" as "coded racist terminology"? Please.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #209 on: June 20, 2018, 03:36:01 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2345
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Milwaukee PD doesn't come out of this looking great, but this article is horrible. Not only does it not mention how Brown talked back when asked to take his hands out of his pockets, but framing "What's wrong with these people" as "coded racist terminology"? Please.

What do you think he meant by 'What's wrong with these people'? Which people do you believe he was referring to?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner