Author Topic: NBA player Sterling Brown tased by Milwaukee police  (Read 5212 times)

Re: NBA player Sterling Brown tased by Milwaukee police
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2018, 01:18:16 AM »

Offline JSD

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1140
The Fergusen Effect is absolutely real. Situations like this, where the Police department caves to political pressure and throws their good officers under the bus, to avoid protests, only adds to the problem. Innocent lives are being brutalized because of these falsehoods being pushed.

« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2018, 02:36:43 AM »

Offline Erik

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 135
  • The voice of reason
Brown could have been afraid... As a black man in this country, we know we are targetted..  His mind could have been all over the place in that moment and all he could think of was to just get in his car and leave.. right or wrong that could have been his thought.

I feel he was Scared because when they asked him to Show his hands his first response was holding something.. Why would he say that?  Why would he feel the need to inform the officer that he was holding something.. Because We have all seen Blacks shot down for holding Keys, Cellphones, Skittles...  How man blacks have been murdered for holding something that at first looked like a gun... Hell, a few months back a man was shot inside of his car for reaching for his Registration (After informing police that he had a license to carry a gun)
You guys may see this as some kind of a joke but its very real in our community. I know it's not worth understanding to most of you.. I know its easier to just call the kid a jerk and say he got what he deserved...

Also, what was the point in Tasing him when he was already on the ground... Was that cop who tased him acting rationally when that happened.. Was that part of the training?

IS it not hard to imagine that the cop who actually tased the incapacitated black man would be the one who shot him if he showed his hands... Is it hard to believe that by keeping his hands in his pockets he could have actually have saved his life...

I can tell you all this... Noone thought that the kid had a gun because if they actually thought that, recent history says they would have shot him at least 15 times.

What a rationale and unbiased take.

So in other words you're basically saying that a black person NEVER has to comply with a lawful order from a police officer because they could be afraid. So the reason(s) for them being stopped or detained is of little importance because their fear outweighs that particular officer's lawful need for detaining them. No accountability whatsoever because they could be scared. Gotta love it!

I respect your stance,

I just hope you share the same sentiment when an unarmed kid is killed by a group of officers who claim that they "Feared for their lives"

It is my opinion that the way that black kids are being raised to fear and hate law enforcement will end up one or both of two ways:

1) A lot of needlessly dead black people
2) Reduction of Police presence in black communities.

Both ways, the black community suffers. There are a lot of good black people living in dangerous communities that rely on law enforcement and actually make the phone call.

Sorry, I donít know if this is offensive, but just my point of view as a neutral observant.

« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2018, 03:37:24 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 899
Brown could have been afraid... As a black man in this country, we know we are targetted..  His mind could have been all over the place in that moment and all he could think of was to just get in his car and leave.. right or wrong that could have been his thought.

I feel he was Scared because when they asked him to Show his hands his first response was holding something.. Why would he say that?  Why would he feel the need to inform the officer that he was holding something.. Because We have all seen Blacks shot down for holding Keys, Cellphones, Skittles...  How man blacks have been murdered for holding something that at first looked like a gun... Hell, a few months back a man was shot inside of his car for reaching for his Registration (After informing police that he had a license to carry a gun)
You guys may see this as some kind of a joke but its very real in our community. I know it's not worth understanding to most of you.. I know its easier to just call the kid a jerk and say he got what he deserved...

Also, what was the point in Tasing him when he was already on the ground... Was that cop who tased him acting rationally when that happened.. Was that part of the training?

IS it not hard to imagine that the cop who actually tased the incapacitated black man would be the one who shot him if he showed his hands... Is it hard to believe that by keeping his hands in his pockets he could have actually have saved his life...

I can tell you all this... Noone thought that the kid had a gun because if they actually thought that, recent history says they would have shot him at least 15 times.

So in other words you're basically saying that a black person NEVER has to comply with a lawful order from a police officer because they could be afraid. So the reason(s) for them being stopped or detained is of little importance because their fear outweighs that particular officer's lawful need for detaining them. No accountability whatsoever because they could be scared. Gotta love it!

I respect your stance,

I just hope you share the same sentiment when an unarmed kid is killed by a group of officers who claim that they "Feared for their lives"

It is my opinion that the way that black kids are being raised to fear and hate law enforcement will end up one or both of two ways:

Both ways, the black community suffers. There are a lot of good black people living in dangerous communities that rely on law enforcement and actually make the phone call.

Sorry, I donít know if this is offensive, but just my point of view as a neutral observant.

I think because #1 has unfortunately been happening, #2 may be inevitable. No city wants to see their crime rates increase (especially violent ones), but they canít have these police protests that often turn violent. The publicity of a debateable shooting is something so [dang]ing to a police force in a smaller community.

The media doesnít care about dead black people unless they are killed by white officers. I understand that black people feel targeted, and that must be a horrible feeling and bring a natural resentment. But when an officer is telling you what to do, comply. I donít buy fear as a reason to be non-compliant. If you have something in your hand that can be mistaken for a weapon, drop it. If a group of cops have their guns pointed at me yelling for me to drop what I have in my hand, Iím pretty sure Iím dropping whatever Iím holding.

But because hating law enforcement has become the motto of some black people, especially those in areas that crime is prevalent, we may see a reduction of patrolmen in these hostile communities. The vast majority of officers actually care about keeping people safe. ALL people. They are out there patrolling for our safety, not thereís. Take officers out of these high-crime areas and shootings will rise, not decrease.

A New York Supreme Court Justice a couple years ago had a high(ish)-profile case in front of him for sentencing and with all the media in the audience went ahead and said ďblack lives donít matter.... to black people with guns.Ē And itís true. And will only get worse without strong police presence and people in those areas donít understand that.

Itís not hard to be a law-abiding citizen, it really isnít. If you are one, you donít need to run from police or be confrontational or combatant. Profiling is abhorrent but escalating the situation isnít the answer.
I AM A CELTIC

« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2018, 06:06:55 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 92

I respect your stance,

Sorry, I don’t know if this is offensive, but just my point of view as a neutral observant.

I think because #1 has unfortunately been happening, #2 may be inevitable. No city wants to see their crime rates increase (especially violent ones), but they can’t have these police protests that often turn violent. The publicity of a debateable shooting is something so [dang]ing to a police force in a smaller community.

The media doesn’t care about dead black people unless they are killed by white officers. I understand that black people feel targeted, and that must be a horrible feeling and bring a natural resentment. But when an officer is telling you what to do, comply. I don’t buy fear as a reason to be non-compliant. If you have something in your hand that can be mistaken for a weapon, drop it. If a group of cops have their guns pointed at me yelling for me to drop what I have in my hand, I’m pretty sure I’m dropping whatever I’m holding.

But because hating law enforcement has become the motto of some black people, especially those in areas that crime is prevalent, we may see a reduction of patrolmen in these hostile communities. The vast majority of officers actually care about keeping people safe. ALL people. They are out there patrolling for our safety, not there’s. Take officers out of these high-crime areas and shootings will rise, not decrease.

A New York Supreme Court Justice a couple years ago had a high(ish)-profile case in front of him for sentencing and with all the media in the audience went ahead and said “black lives don’t matter.... to black people with guns.” And it’s true. And will only get worse without strong police presence and people in those areas don’t understand that.

It’s not hard to be a law-abiding citizen, it really isn’t. If you are one, you don’t need to run from police or be confrontational or combatant. Profiling is abhorrent but escalating the situation isn’t the answer.

Philando Castille dude... seriously... just look it up.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 06:22:05 AM by IDreamCeltics »

« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2018, 06:19:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27754
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

I respect your stance,

I think because #1 has unfortunately been happening, #2 may be inevitable. No city wants to see their crime rates increase (especially violent ones), but they canít have these police protests that often turn violent. The publicity of a debateable shooting is something so [dang]ing to a police force in a smaller community.

The media doesnít care about dead black people unless they are killed by white officers. I understand that black people feel targeted, and that must be a horrible feeling and bring a natural resentment. But when an officer is telling you what to do, comply. I donít buy fear as a reason to be non-compliant. If you have something in your hand that can be mistaken for a weapon, drop it. If a group of cops have their guns pointed at me yelling for me to drop what I have in my hand, Iím pretty sure Iím dropping whatever Iím holding.

But because hating law enforcement has become the motto of some black people, especially those in areas that crime is prevalent, we may see a reduction of patrolmen in these hostile communities. The vast majority of officers actually care about keeping people safe. ALL people. They are out there patrolling for our safety, not thereís. Take officers out of these high-crime areas and shootings will rise, not decrease.

A New York Supreme Court Justice a couple years ago had a high(ish)-profile case in front of him for sentencing and with all the media in the audience went ahead and said ďblack lives donít matter.... to black people with guns.Ē And itís true. And will only get worse without strong police presence and people in those areas donít understand that.

Itís not hard to be a law-abiding citizen, it really isnít. If you are one, you donít need to run from police or be confrontational or combatant. Profiling is abhorrent but escalating the situation isnít the answer.

Orlando Castille dude... seriously... just look it up.

Philando.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2018, 06:21:44 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 92

I respect your stance,

Orlando Castille dude... seriously... just look it up.

Philando.

Good catch, thanks.  Edited.

« Reply #126 on: May 25, 2018, 06:58:33 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1042
The difference between what the body camera showed and what the media showed was very big.     After noticing the change, one has to realize that the media is making things worse and editing stuff for better ratings and more social outrage.

Philando Castille

Terrible incident sounds like the Samuel Dubois one we had in Cincinnati where the officer panicked. 

But I think the incidents in these cases are each different.   I think Michael Brown's actions were a legit reason for an officer to use force.   

DNA on Wilson pants and on the gun.

Brown's DNA was found on the gun. His DNA was also found on the left thigh of Wilson's pants and on the inside driver's door handle of Wilson's police SUV,[21] the result of Brown's spilled blood staining Wilson's pants and the door handle.[78] Wilson's DNA was found on Brown's left palm but was not found under Brown's fingernails or on his right hand.[21]

Dr. Michael Graham, the St. Louis medical examiner, said blood was found on Wilson's gun and inside the car, and tissue from Brown was found on the exterior of the driver's side of Wilson's vehicle; this evidence was consistent with a struggle at that location. According to Judy Melinek, a San Francisco pathologist who commented on the case as an expert, the official autopsy, which said Brown's hand had foreign matter consistent with a gun discharge on it, supported Wilson's testimony that Brown was reaching for the weapon,[79] or indicated the gun was inches away from Brown's hand when it went off.[21]

According to the detective who performed tests on the gun, he had to decide whether to perform a DNA test or dust for fingerprints, because only one test can be performed without affecting the other.[21] He found the gun stored in an unsealed envelope, contrary to the customary evidence-handling protocol.[80] Documents released after the grand jury proceedings show Wilson washed blood from his hands and checked his own gun into an evidence bag, both actions described by media outlets as unorthodox procedures for such a case

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Michael_Brown#Evidence

Incidents like Eric Garner and Philando Castille are terrible and inexcusable.   

One thing that I thought hurt the movement is that they do not always discern which cases are the ones where their is a bad guy like Ferguson and ones where legit police brutality happened.    Sterling Brown if you watch the whole video, was acting like a punk.   Told the officer to get back in his car, keep his hands in pocket and alluded he had something in his pocket.  Thankfully, he did not get shot for it, nor should he have....

« Reply #127 on: May 25, 2018, 07:16:57 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The Fergusen Effect is absolutely real. Situations like this, where the Police department caves to political pressure and throws their good officers under the bus, to avoid protests, only adds to the problem. Innocent lives are being brutalized because of these falsehoods being pushed.
Based on what I've seen in this footage, calling those folks "good officers" is laughably wrong.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2018, 08:06:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 914
Based on what I've seen in this footage, calling those folks "good officers" is laughably wrong.
Did you watch all 30 minutes?

« Reply #129 on: May 25, 2018, 08:27:01 AM »

Offline eja117

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1236
I just lost a ton of respect for Sterling Brown. I'd say it's just punk privilege. Dude parked across 3 handicapped spots.  When you do that you don't have a right to expect cops to walk up nice and apologetic to you.  Sterling wasn't very compliant.  To me this is nothing remotely similar to some of the other stuff that has happened in the news. I don't see Sterling as an even borderline victim in this. Did the cop do an A+ job? Heck no.  But this is pretty foreseeable.  I wouldn't have minded had he been charged. Guy makes a lot of money so he thinks he can park across handicapped spots and then talk back to cops. Spare me. I guess we expect cops to give back rubs now to guys that park in a screw-everyone-cause-I'm-so-awesome way.

« Reply #130 on: May 25, 2018, 08:40:18 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Did you watch all 30 minutes?
I watched the full footage until they tazed him. It seemed like a competition of who can be the bigger dink without breaking the rules. While the result was entirely predictable, and the use of force may or may not have been within the letter of the law, this is certainly isn't the type of policing I expect from "good officers".

« Reply #131 on: May 25, 2018, 08:41:32 AM »

Offline eja117

• Dennis Johnson
I normally don't chime in on these types of things but some of these comments or disappointing at best...

Please let's not pretend like there is nothing wrong with our System...  I like this board and many of you guys on it... I just wish sometimes you would come off your highhorses and put your feet in the shoes of a 23 year old young black man for a moment.
My entire life if I wanted to leave something in my pocket I left it in my pocket. The guy is a pro athlete but lacks the ability to leave something in his pocket and slowly take out his hands in a compliant manner.  I can't say I find that very convincing.

« Reply #132 on: May 25, 2018, 09:01:59 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I normally don't chime in on these types of things but some of these comments or disappointing at best...

Please let's not pretend like there is nothing wrong with our System...  I like this board and many of you guys on it... I just wish sometimes you would come off your highhorses and put your feet in the shoes of a 23 year old young black man for a moment.
My entire life if I wanted to leave something in my pocket I left it in my pocket. The guy is a pro athlete but lacks the ability to leave something in his pocket and slowly take out his hands in a compliant manner.  I can't say I find that very convincing.
I'm going to piggyback on this here, because I can't miss an opportunity to be (a little) facetious.

Does this logic give me the right to be an arsehat to black people on the street because I am scared that blacks are criminals?

« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2018, 09:11:54 AM »

Offline eja117

• Dennis Johnson
I think the cop was over-aggressive and Brown acted like a punk.

I think cops who canít be patient with jerks need new jobs. At the same time, if you refuse police instructions, expect to be detained.
If I had to choose between those cops and Sterling living in my town I take the cops ten times out of ten.

« Reply #134 on: May 25, 2018, 09:18:58 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I think the cop was over-aggressive and Brown acted like a punk.

I think cops who canít be patient with jerks need new jobs. At the same time, if you refuse police instructions, expect to be detained.
If I had to choose between those cops and Sterling living in my town I take the cops ten times out of ten.
Be careful what you wish for. Just because those cops weren't able to be patient with someone who was being a jerk doesn't mean that they will be patient with someone who is not.