Author Topic: NBA player Sterling Brown tased by Milwaukee police  (Read 5171 times)

Re: NBA player Sterling Brown tased by Milwaukee police
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2018, 07:21:26 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I think the cop was over-aggressive and Brown acted like a punk.

I think cops who can’t be patient with jerks need new jobs. At the same time, if you refuse police instructions, expect to be detained.

He didn't refuse police instructions. Why did they even start shouting instructions at him anyway? He had illegally parked. There was no threat to the police officer.  He had been standing there talking to them.  They started yelling instructions at him and attacked him before he could even do anything. 

Also why did the police officer call in 8 more police officers as backup for an illegally parked car?  This isnt the first group beating these officers have indulged in.  The more involved in the incident the harder it is to discipline a single officer.

The first cop made up his mind very early in the video that Brown was going to get a beating, and he made sure it happened.

« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2018, 07:42:55 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He didn't refuse police instructions. Why did they even start shouting instructions at him anyway? He had illegally parked. There was no threat to the police officer.  He had been standing there talking to them.  They started yelling instructions at him and attacked him before he could even do anything.
Except he did. While you can argue whether ordering him to take his hands out of his pockets was or wasn't uncalled for, barking back "I have stuff in my hands" wasn't something I would have suggested. This was precisely the statement which triggered taking him down.

Also why did the police officer call in 8 more police officers as backup for an illegally parked car?  This isnt the first group beating these officers have indulged in.  The more involved in the incident the harder it is to discipline a single officer.
Except he didn't. He said they're waiting for his partner, and he tells the arriving officers, "I only asked for one guy". It's unclear to me why they won't leave though.

The first cop made up his mind very early in the video that Brown was going to get a beating, and he made sure it happened.
He may have made up his mind he's going to be an asshat about the situation, but so did Brown. Also, the first officer wasn't the one who initiated or administered the tazing (and he also received the shortest suspension). And there wasn't an actual beating, really.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2018, 07:45:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
What states have parking fines as a crime?
No states have "parking fines" as a crime. Multiple states have parking in a disabled spot without the proper decal as a misdemeanor carrying a fine (and therefore a crime). If you're interested in the specific states, there's a somewhat dated list (from 2007) that's relatively easy to find with a conventional search engine.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2018, 08:35:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 914
What states have parking fines as a crime?
No states have "parking fines" as a crime. Multiple states have parking in a disabled spot without the proper decal as a misdemeanor carrying a fine (and therefore a crime). If you're interested in the specific states, there's a somewhat dated list (from 2007) that's relatively easy to find with a conventional search engine.
you know what else is a crime, obstruction of justice.

« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2018, 08:52:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2358
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Except he did. While you can argue whether ordering him to take his hands out of his pockets was or wasn't uncalled for, barking back "I have stuff in my hands" wasn't something I would have suggested. This was precisely the statement which triggered taking him down.

Except he didn't. He said they're waiting for his partner, and he tells the arriving officers, "I only asked for one guy". It's unclear to me why they won't leave though.

He may have made up his mind he's going to be an asshat about the situation, but so did Brown. Also, the first officer wasn't the one who initiated or administered the tazing (and he also received the shortest suspension). And there wasn't an actual beating, really.

I am kinda surprised this is your take on this. From the handling of the incident to the incident itself it seems like the Police are at fault, and more than that, they know it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2018, 09:01:59 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Marcus Smart
  • Tommy Points: 46
No more talk of white priviledge is to occur. Stay on subject.

Im curious how white privilege (no d) is not relevant to this topic? Im assuming by using the word subject you were trying to sidestep?

Anyway, these cops were at fault. If you cannot see the context then youre simply not looking.

Could everyone act differently in any situation? Yes. Do we still believe in the ethical standard of those who uphold our laws to hold themselves to a principled code of conduct? Debatable. Brown is a citizen, he may not know all of the nuances of the law. What he knows is that he has been trained to fear the police due to his skin color - that is context.

« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2018, 09:25:18 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27757
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
What he knows is that he has been trained to fear the police due to his skin color - that is context.

Did he seem scared? I thought he looked like a disrespectful jerk. And the cop looked like a disrespectful jerk.

When two jerks meet, and one has power over the other, this is what happens.  I think if this were two white guys, or a black cop and a white guy, or whatever combo, you’d have a similar result. 

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2018, 09:26:18 PM »

Online liam

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 733
People who side with the police every time don't even acknowledge that the police were in the wrong even when the Police come out and say they were wrong.

« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2018, 09:56:23 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 74
I normally don't chime in on these types of things but some of these comments or disappointing at best...

Brown could have been afraid... As a black man in this country, we know we are targetted..  His mind could have been all over the place in that moment and all he could think of was to just get in his car and leave.. right or wrong that could have been his thought.

I feel he was Scared because when they asked him to Show his hands his first response was holding something.. Why would he say that?  Why would he feel the need to inform the officer that he was holding something.. Because We have all seen Blacks shot down for holding Keys, Cellphones, Skittles...  How man blacks have been murdered for holding something that at first looked like a gun... Hell, a few months back a man was shot inside of his car for reaching for his Registration (After informing police that he had a license to carry a gun)
You guys may see this as some kind of a joke but its very real in our community. I know it's not worth understanding to most of you.. I know its easier to just call the kid a jerk and say he got what he deserved...

Also, what was the point in Tasing him when he was already on the ground... Was that cop who tased him acting rationally when that happened.. Was that part of the training?

IS it not hard to imagine that the cop who actually tased the incapacitated black man would be the one who shot him if he showed his hands... Is it hard to believe that by keeping his hands in his pockets he could have actually have saved his life...

I can tell you all this... Noone thought that the kid had a gun because if they actually thought that, recent history says they would have shot him at least 15 times.

Please let's not pretend like there is nothing wrong with our System...  I like this board and many of you guys on it... I just wish sometimes you would come off your highhorses and put your feet in the shoes of a 23 year old young black man for a moment.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 10:03:30 PM by chiken Green »

« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2018, 09:59:54 PM »

Offline JSD

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1140
Use of Force will never look pretty, but it is – unfortunately, a necessary component of policing. The cause or need for force is always dictated by the subject confronting the police officer.  …

Inevitably every Use of Force will be scrutinized and often opinion gets in the way of fact. Unfortunately, society and local leaders only take issue when the situation is sensational, or the individual is of prominence. Our officers are routinely injured during Use of Force applications; rarely is there an outcry of support from civic leadership.

For the people who say “the police admitted they were wrong”. No, just one component did, the brass throwing their guys under the bus, guys who aren’t on the street, did. Above is a quote from the union. A truly pathetic and gutless action by this police chief. I Can’t imagine how many officers are going to turn their back on him

https://sports.yahoo.com/milwaukee-police-union-defies-top-cop-deflects-responsibility-sensational-sterling-brown-incident-035416379.html

« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2018, 10:00:54 PM »

Online liam

• Ed Macauley
I normally don't chime in on these types of things but some of these comments or disappointing at best...

Brown could have been afraid... As a black man in this country, we know we are targetted..  His mind could have been all over the place in that moment and all he could think of was to just get in his car and leave.. right or wrong that could have been his thought.

I feel he was Scared because when they asked him to Show his hands his first response he was holding something.. Why would he say that?  Why would he feel the need to inform the officer that he was holding something.. Becuase We have all seen Blacks shot down for holding Keys, Cellphones, Skittles...  Showing blacks holding something that at first looked like a gun... Hell, a few months back a man was shot inside of his car for reaching for his Registration.
You guys may see this as some kind of a joke but its very real in our community. I know it's not worth understanding to most of you.. I know its easier to just call the kid a jerk and say he got what he deserved...

Also, what was the point in Tazing him when he was already on the ground... Was that cop who tazed him acting rationally when that happened.. Was that part of the training? IS it not hard to imagine that the cop who actually tazed the incapacitated man would be the one who shot him if he showed his hands... Is it hard to believe that by keeping his hands in his pockets he could have actually have saved his life...

I can tell you all this.. Noone thought that the kid had a gun because if they actually thought that recent history says they would have shot him at least 15 times.

Please let's not pretend like there is nothing wrong with our System...

Well said.

« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2018, 10:03:59 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1191
People who side with the police every time don't even acknowledge that the police were in the wrong even when the Police come out and say they were wrong.

Do you honestly believe that because the police acted unprofessionally, as well as using excessive force, that completely excuses Brown from the fact he acted unlawfully?

What is there to not understand about the fact you do not have the right to refuse to comply with a lawful order given to you by law enforcement?

« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2018, 10:08:51 PM »

Online liam

• Ed Macauley

Do you honestly believe that because the police acted unprofessionally, as well as using excessive force, that completely excuses Brown from the fact he acted unlawfully?

What is there to not understand about the fact you do not have the right to refuse to comply with a lawful order given to you by law enforcement?

The police can't just do what they want. They are supposed to be professionals. Honest folks aren't professional suspects. I know it's a big shock but the police work for us and have to follow the rule of law too!They have to have reasons behind their commands that's why tax payers have to pay millions out in law suits all over the country. How much do you think this is going to cost tax payers because the police were in the wrong! Again!

« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2018, 10:14:13 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1191

The police can't just do what they want. They are supposed to be professionals. Honest folks aren't professional suspects. I know it's a big shock but the police work for us and have to follow the rule of law too!They have to have reasons behind their commands that's why tax payers have to pay millions out in law suits all over the country. How much do you think this is going to cost tax payers because the police were in the wrong! Again!

I'm not arguing the police weren't wrong for how they handled the situation, but do you not understand that this doesn't give you the right to refuse to comply with a lawful order?

The police absolutely had the right to question Brown, ask for his ID, ask him to back away, and ask him to take his hands out of his pockets.  Brown acted unlawfully by refusing to comply with any of the requests.  None of that changes, regardless of how wrongly the police conducted themselves by being hostile and using excessive force in taking him down.

« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2018, 10:18:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27757
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

I generally agree, but which commands don’t have reasons for them?

Asking for somebody’s name is lawful and reasonable.

Asking them to back up is lawful and reasonable.

Asking them to remove their hands from their pockets is lawful and reasonable.

I think the lead cop was a jerk who escalated things. I think Brown got tazed way too soon.  I don’t understand any argument that Brown wasn’t required to comply with reasonable and lawful instructions though.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...