Author Topic: NBA player Sterling Brown tased by Milwaukee police  (Read 4231 times)

Re: NBA player Sterling Brown tased by Milwaukee police
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 02:18:33 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 264
He should have cooperated and park like a sober person in the first place.
All would go smoother or wouldn't happen at all if those 2 things were done properly.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 02:23:40 AM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Marcus Smart
  • Tommy Points: 45
No right to ask for a license in the first place. He committed no crime other than parking like a dingdong.

Officer then escalates. He clearly was in violation of the 4th amendment. Brown did not need to comply in any way - The right to travel freely.

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 02:39:34 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1176
No right to ask for a license in the first place. He committed no crime other than parking like a dingdong.

Officer then escalates. He clearly was in violation of the 4th amendment. Brown did not need to comply in any way - The right to travel freely.

Uh, if you park your car in front of a store and are in possession of the keys and are clearly leaving, an officer 100% has the right to ask for your driver's license.  You were driving and are intending to drive again.

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 02:42:51 AM »

Offline The Oracle

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 254
  The cop cordially asks how he is doing.  Sterling doesn't respond and tries to get in his car.  The cop rightfully blocks him from doing so because he has no idea what his intentions are and now has his guard up immediately.  Sterling is then uncooperative by not backing up nor providing his name.  Every cop on the planet should have alarm bells going off in their head at this point if they hope to go home and see their families on a consistent basis no matter the color, size or gender of the person they are dealing with.  His defiance continues on from there...

Sterling Brown escalated the situation plain and clear.  Without better audio or video at this point there is very little reason to sympathize with him and pulling the race card is nonsense. 

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 03:21:03 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 886
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/23/us/milwaukee-police-body-camera-footage-sterling-brown/index.html

Had his hands in his pockets during an arrest and they tased him anyway.

Respectfully, the sheer ignorance displayed in this statement is really disappointing. Show me a police stop where the cop allows a suspect to keep their hands in their pocket, Iíll show you a cop not doing the job correctly and needlessly putting his or her life on the line.
Yeah, hands in pockets is an absolute no-go. Any 6'6" 230lb guy with his hands in his pockets would be pretty worrisome for most officers
Lol this is a joke, right?

Hands in pockets cannot happen. Show your hands and if you refuse you are asking for escalation.

I donít care your size, race, demeanor, etc., you need to show your hands for the safety of EVERYONE.
Come on. They had been talking for minutes already. Did the cop even ask him to take his hands out of his pockets? I honesty couldn't hear. But you can't use the surprise excuse. There was no reason to think he had a weapon of any kind. It was a d@mn parking issue.

I didnít watch the video and donít need to.

Any officer who knows what they are doing will ask to have anyone in question (regardless of the degree of the offense) show their hands.

Itís a safety issue for everyone, the officer AND the person in question. You really donít need a reason or suspect anyone has a weapon. The least vocal and otherwise compliant people can be extremely dangerous. The most agitated and loquacious could be harmless. You donít KNOW it though, and visible hands are integral.
I AM A CELTIC

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 03:40:19 AM »

Online Csfan1984

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 12
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/23/us/milwaukee-police-body-camera-footage-sterling-brown/index.html

Respectfully, the sheer ignorance displayed in this statement is really disappointing. Show me a police stop where the cop allows a suspect to keep their hands in their pocket, Iíll show you a cop not doing the job correctly and needlessly putting his or her life on the line.
Yeah, hands in pockets is an absolute no-go. Any 6'6" 230lb guy with his hands in his pockets would be pretty worrisome for most officers

Hands in pockets cannot happen. Show your hands and if you refuse you are asking for escalation.

I donít care your size, race, demeanor, etc., you need to show your hands for the safety of EVERYONE.
Come on. They had been talking for minutes already. Did the cop even ask him to take his hands out of his pockets? I honesty couldn't hear. But you can't use the surprise excuse. There was no reason to think he had a weapon of any kind. It was a d@mn parking issue.

I didnít watch the video and donít need to.

Any officer who knows what they are doing will ask to have anyone in question (regardless of the degree of the offense) show their hands.

Itís a safety issue for everyone, the officer AND the person in question. You really donít need a reason or suspect anyone has a weapon. The least vocal and otherwise compliant people can be extremely dangerous. The most agitated and loquacious could be harmless. You donít KNOW it though, and visible hands are integral.
The officer's job was write a ticket and ask the guy to move the car if it was his. This cop wanted more, looked for more and made it become more. That's why he is being called out on this as an instigator and the reason for escalating things. Thing is the person it was done to is a professional athlete so it made the news. This stuff happens all over the USA all the time it's old school policing where citizens are victims to aggressive police that feel their job is to "put people in their place".
Mock "trade deadline" team: Blazers.
PG-Lillard, Napier, Baldwin
SG-McCollum, Connaughton, Wilcox
SF-Fournier, Harkless, Layman
PF-Aminu, Davis
C- Nurkic, Leonard, Collins

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 04:43:43 AM »

Offline JSD

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1122
  The cop cordially asks how he is doing.  Sterling doesn't respond and tries to get in his car.  The cop rightfully blocks him from doing so because he has no idea what his intentions are and now has his guard up immediately.  Sterling is then uncooperative by not backing up nor providing his name.  Every cop on the planet should have alarm bells going off in their head at this point if they hope to go home and see their families on a consistent basis no matter the color, size or gender of the person they are dealing with.  His defiance continues on from there...

Sterling Brown escalated the situation plain and clear.  Without better audio or video at this point there is very little reason to sympathize with him and pulling the race card is nonsense.

Well put here.

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 07:01:31 AM »

Online Celtics4ever

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1020
Had his hands in his pockets during an arrest and they tased him anyway. This is already becoming a top story. Not good.

The thread to this post should be " How to defy the police "

The officer's job was write a ticket and ask the guy to move the car if it was his. This cop wanted more, looked for more and made it become more. That's why he is being called out on this as an instigator and the reason for escalating things. Thing is the person it was done to is a professional athlete so it made the news. This stuff happens all over the USA all the time it's old school policing where citizens are victims to aggressive police that feel their job is to "put people in their place".

You don't think Sterling Brown's action contributed to this matter?    I am glad he did not get shot after he did not take his hands out of his pockets.   He was even dumb enough to say and that he had something in his pocket when asked about then the cops swooped in.  It could have been something, a gun, a joint, change who knows.   Maybe he was pretending to be tough for street cred.   But that comment at 14 seconds is what let to the police escalating the situation.   Because when your life is on the life, you're going to assume the worst.

Who tells the police to get back into their car and move along when questioned?   Sterling Brown.

BTW, I watched the Body Cam vids, not the edited version shown on CNN and ESPN trying to stir outrage.   

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:56:35 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 08:16:23 AM »

Offline TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
claiming an nba player is "pretending to be tough" for "street cred" is some pretty strong dog whistling

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 08:35:54 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 497

Exactly. The officer didnít ask him to take his hands out. Some people arenít so used to being arrested , taking their hands out slowly wouldnít even come to mind for most people unless youíve been through the process before.

If an officer begins a conversation over a parking violation with a hostile attitude, heís expecting an argument, or heís as ignorant as the guy who doesnít take his hands out of his pocket

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 08:44:22 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1598
  • bammokja
My brother was a cop for 30 years. These cops and others rarely receive serious training in how to descalate a tense situation. Their handling of this was an example of failed police work.

Why arrest when he is leaving and they have his license number? Mail him a fine later.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy ó not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2018, 08:54:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 888

Exactly. The officer didnít ask him to take his hands out. Some people arenít so used to being arrested , taking their hands out slowly wouldnít even come to mind for most people unless youíve been through the process before.

If an officer begins a conversation over a parking violation with a hostile attitude, heís expecting an argument, or heís as ignorant as the guy who doesnít take his hands out of his pocket
He didn't begin it with a hostile attitude.  He asked Brown how it was going in a fairly friendly tone.  It wasn't until Brown ignored the officer and tried to leave that the situation was escalated.  Brown grossly mishandled this situation.  Now it probably ended inappropriately by the police, but if Brown wasn't a jackass initially nothing comes of this except a parking ticket.

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2018, 08:55:33 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 857
My brother was a cop for 30 years. These cops and others rarely receive serious training in how to descalate a tense situation. Their handling of this was an example of failed police work.

Why arrest when he is leaving and they have his license number? Mail him a fine later.

Mail him a ticket? What if the subject is wanted and is not providing identification to hide his true identity? What if the said subject is wanted for a capital felony? What if one your loved ones, say wife or child, was the victim of that crime and the officer simply let the individual go? How would you feel then? What you're suggesting is not practical or logical.

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 08:59:52 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 857
Just because they had some dialogue does not mean Brown was not armed. In fact, he even said "I have something in my pocket", which likely caused the officers collective fear to be heightened.

Here is an example of a subject not immediately shooting an officer when confronted, while having his hand in his pocket at the time:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=884W4l3eoQg

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 09:26:41 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
They're all at fault.
I moved the cheese.