Author Topic: NBA player Sterling Brown tased by Milwaukee police  (Read 5228 times)

NBA player Sterling Brown tased by Milwaukee police
« on: May 23, 2018, 11:17:54 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 510
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/23/us/milwaukee-police-body-camera-footage-sterling-brown/index.html

Had his hands in his pockets during an arrest and they tased him anyway. This is already becoming a top story. Not good.

Re: NBA player Sterling Brown tased by Milwaukee police
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 11:41:27 PM »

Offline JSD

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1140
This is another police chief throwing his guys under the bus for political reasons. Sad and dangerous. Kids are watching and learning that noncompliance is an acceptable way of handling a police encounter. There will be more situations needlessly escalated until we start holding non-compliant people accountable instead of shifting the blame to the person dealing with an unknown and potentially dangerous/lethal situation.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 11:55:13 PM »

Offline JSD

• Danny Ainge
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/23/us/milwaukee-police-body-camera-footage-sterling-brown/index.html

Had his hands in his pockets during an arrest and they tased him anyway.

Respectfully, the sheer ignorance displayed in this statement is really disappointing. Show me a police stop where the cop allows a suspect to keep their hands in their pocket, Iíll show you a cop not doing the job correctly and needlessly putting his or her life on the line.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 11:57:32 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 179
This is another police chief throwing his guys under the bus for political reasons. Sad and dangerous. Kids are watching and learning that noncompliance is an acceptable way of handling a police encounter. There will be more situations needlessly escalated until we start holding non-compliant people accountable instead of shifting the blame to the person dealing with an unknown and potentially dangerous/lethal situation.

Agree 100%. Our Officers are dealing with all sorts of dangerous situations and these idiots either flee outright or just act insulted and get their 'tude up, "Man, ain't no Po Po tellin' me what to do." Let me clue you in Sterling - Police get to tell people what to do. Most people without a huge chip on their shoulder comply and avoid further problems. I sure as hell do whatever the officer says and I am polite. Just common sense - unless you just have to show your militant attitude to the world, "Nobody gonna dis' me."

Police Chief ought to be fired for not backing up his officers. Next story will be about an Officer not being assertive enough and ending up being murdered because he feared being accused of racism. Makes me boiling mad.

Hey hpantazo, you don't hide your hands in front of a police officer. The guy could easily have a gun - then the Officer gets shot for simply doing his job.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 12:13:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 61

Respectfully, the sheer ignorance displayed in this statement is really disappointing. Show me a police stop where the cop allows a suspect to keep their hands in their pocket, Iíll show you a cop not doing the job correctly and needlessly putting his or her life on the line.
Yeah, hands in pockets is an absolute no-go. Any 6'6" 230lb guy with his hands in his pockets would be pretty worrisome for most officers

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 12:25:00 AM »

Offline JSD

• Danny Ainge
Police Chief ought to be fired for not backing up his officers. Next story will be about an Officer not being assertive enough and ending up being murdered because he feared being accused of racism. Makes me boiling mad.

TP. This is happening all the time. Officers getting injured, killed or avoiding the job altogether and whistling passed situations because of the potential backlash. People are suffering as a result.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 12:50:15 AM »

Offline liam

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 733

TP. This is happening all the time. Officers getting injured, killed or avoiding the job altogether and whistling passed situations because of the potential backlash. People are suffering as a result.

The cops are supposed to be peace makers not trouble makers.

Making everything into a confrontation is bad and dangerous policing for everyone.

The officer handled this badly. Should've been a simple ticket for parking wrong in the middle of the night.

"The department conducted an investigation into the incident which revealed members acted inappropriately and those members were recently disciplined," Morales said, without taking questions. "I am sorry this incident escalated to this level."

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 01:09:42 AM »

Offline JSD

• Danny Ainge

Making everything into a confrontation is bad and dangerous policing for everyone.

The officer handled this badly. Should've been a simple ticket for parking wrong in the middle of the night.

"The department conducted an investigation into the incident which revealed members acted inappropriately and those members were recently disciplined," Morales said, without taking questions. "I am sorry this incident escalated to this level."

The Chief and department brass throwing their guys under the bus means very little to me. Those words mean nothing. That's a morale issue they will have to deal with and suffer for as a department.

I'm sure it would have been a simple warning, not even a ticket, had Brown just cooperated.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 01:13:46 AM »

Offline JSD

• Danny Ainge
Milwaukee needs to bring Chief Flynn back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7MAO7McNKE

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 01:18:27 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 22
I shrug my shoulders because its nothing new as far as how most cops handle minorities. They turn a ticket into an arrest and blame the guy for a poor attitude being justification for an arrest. If you aren't white your in for a fight. Only way to win is to lose as quickly as possible by saying yes sir, and no sir and thank you sir and sorry sir, and I will try to not let it happen again sir... ect. Even if you are right, the officer is like your wife you let her win or she will give you hell.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 01:52:50 AM by Csfan1984 »
Mock "trade deadline" team: Blazers.
PG-Lillard, Napier, Baldwin
SG-McCollum, Connaughton, Wilcox
SF-Fournier, Harkless, Layman
PF-Aminu, Davis
C- Nurkic, Leonard, Collins

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 01:18:52 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1192
I mean, you only need to watch like a minute of that video to see that the officer immediately starts in with a hostile attitude.  That is unacceptable.  There's no reason to conduct yourself in that manner as an officer of the law, you should be held to a higher standard.  You can be firm without being hostile. The officer deserves to be reprimanded and disciplined. Period.

Now that said, Brown does appear to give off an attitude himself.  When the officer asks him to back up, he does not.  Responding with attitude to an officer who is conducting himself unprofessionally is at the very least contributing to the escalation of the incident.  Disregarding orders is also illegal. Is this some sort of machismo competition? 

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 01:19:29 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

Yeah, hands in pockets is an absolute no-go. Any 6'6" 230lb guy with his hands in his pockets would be pretty worrisome for most officers
Lol this is a joke, right?
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 01:23:49 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 899

Hands in pockets cannot happen. Show your hands and if you refuse you are asking for escalation.

I donít care your size, race, demeanor, etc., you need to show your hands for the safety of EVERYONE.
I AM A CELTIC

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 01:32:22 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

Hands in pockets cannot happen. Show your hands and if you refuse you are asking for escalation.

I donít care your size, race, demeanor, etc., you need to show your hands for the safety of EVERYONE.
Come on. They had been talking for minutes already. Did the cop even ask him to take his hands out of his pockets? I honesty couldn't hear. But you can't use the surprise excuse. There was no reason to think he had a weapon of any kind. It was a d@mn parking issue.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 01:33:41 AM »

Offline liam

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 733

The Chief and department brass throwing their guys under the bus means very little to me. Those words mean nothing. That's a morale issue they will have to deal with and suffer for as a department.

I'm sure it would have been a simple warning, not even a ticket, had Brown just cooperated.

They should've just game him the ticket. I got a ticket the other day for missing a stop sign and I didn't get out of my car or have any of this BS. This was all over a parking ticket. The Police are suppose to be the professionals in these circumstances. They are suppose to control the situation not get into a p---ing contest with the public over a parking ticket.