Author Topic: Goodell Releases Statement, New Policy on Protests  (Read 1326 times)

Re: Goodell Releases Statement, New Policy on Protests
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2018, 03:14:12 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 84
I used to love the NFL, every move like this makes me like it a little less.

I'd be really curious to see the demographics of the NFL. All their moves to me indicate that I am no longer a part of their core demographic and they don't really care about losing me as a viewer.

The NFL is not trending in the right direction in terms of ratings and their solution to this problem has seemed to be to pitch to their conservative base. I think this will be the death of the NFL, but maybe I say that because all their actions indicate they don't care much about what I think as a non-conservative.

It does seem interesting to me that the NBA has moved in a progressive direction, where the NFL has moved in a conservative one. I wonder how much it contributes to the NFL ratings declining and the NBA ratings increasing.

NFL is losing ratings and this played a part of it. I sincerely doubt the NFL is doing this to appease a certain ideology as much as it's trying to stop the bleeding. IF they gained viewers, they wouldn't have done anything to stop it. They had to wait and see the fallout before taking action. The thing is, for many this may be too little too late.

For me, I just want to watch football and not be told how unfair the US is by people who are living the epitome of the American dream.

Politics is everywhere, I'd like to be able to watch a sport without it being thrown in my face.

And this is why allowing the protests was so toxic for the NFL. If people wanted to watch a bunch of political talk, they'd watch Cable News. People watch sports to ESCAPE from politics, the very last thing they want to see is sports politicized.

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2018, 03:16:02 PM »

Online TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
If we watch sports to escape politics, the NFL needs to stop accepting money from the government for ostentatious displays of patriotism and the military.

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2018, 03:17:08 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
If we watch sports to escape politics, the NFL needs to stop accepting money from the government for ostentatious displays of patriotism and the military.

If respect for the national anthem is becoming a partisan issue, then I don't think the NFL wants to be on the side of "we don't respect the anthem".

Just one man's opinion..

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2018, 03:17:41 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
It works for me.  The workplace isn't the venue to protest.  It's not like these guys don't have other avenues of making their views heard.

I agree with this as well. There are many other ways to make an impact in changing any form of social injustice.

For those who are brave enough to go out and defend our country and risk and lose their lives, they do not need to see athletes sitting in protest on TV like that. A sporting event is not the proper channel to make this protest- My opinion of course, but one I believe in.

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2018, 03:18:08 PM »

Online TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown

If respect for the national anthem is becoming a partisan issue, then I don't think the NFL wants to be on the side of "we don't respect the anthem".

Just one man's opinion..

It's sad that people consider kneeling "disrespecting the anthem"

Would you have an issue if JJ Watt were kneeling "in reverence for the troops" during the anthem. Doubt it

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2018, 03:20:56 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Just one man's opinion..

What do you call it? The proper response is to put your hand over your heart and stand.

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2018, 03:22:17 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Just one man's opinion..

Would you have an issue if JJ Watt were kneeling "in reverence for the troops" during the anthem. Doubt it

But he isn't doing that is he?

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2018, 03:23:32 PM »

Online TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
Just remember, people hated MLK during his heyday

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2018, 03:25:16 PM »

Online TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown

Just one man's opinion..

But he isn't doing that is he?
As a white male, JJ Watt has no reason to do anything but fall in line and behave the way white America expects him to.

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2018, 03:38:51 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1176

An individual's right to peaceful assembly does not extend to private property, which is exactly what a workplace is.

You're confusing the issue; we're not talking about rights or constitutional amendments here.

I'm not confusing anything. I was simply making a (factual) statement relevant to the situation.

Now, if you're simply saying that the owners should choose to allow the protests, well I'd disagree. Sports shouldn't be taking a side. I'm not interested in seeing political statements made during sporting events, which is precisely why I stopped watching the NFL last season.

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2018, 03:41:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 5366
I think the players have the right to protest whenever they want. Its the 1st Amendment. But if they are violating some personal property law then ownership can then have them arrested for doing so. My guess is they never would. My guess is the team wouldn't release an integral pkayer that decides to do it because winning.

The NFL has the players wearing pink every year for breast cancer awareness. So as long as the owners approve the players promoting something they are behind its okay to do it on game day but the pkayers can't promote something they are behind during that time. Seems hypocritical to me.

Now let me say, I don't care if the players kneel in protest or not and I would never protest during the national anthem. But protests work when they can be seen by the most people so I understand why players would want to do it during games rather than write an article for the Player's Tribune or get involved in their local area to protest. Doing those things just aren't going to get to as many people as a nationally televised game.

I also can't help but wonder if Trump didn't make this a political issue to rile his base that it wouldn't be as big a deal.

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2018, 03:43:02 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 10
I think it's silly that there are so many people who think that words such as "Commissioner" and "Anthem" should be capitalized when standing alone.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

C.S. Lewis

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2018, 03:47:50 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Danny Ainge
I think the players have the right to protest whenever they want. Its the 1st Amendment.

Legally, speaking, they do not. You don't have the right to protest on someone else's property. And an employee does not have the right to protest while 'on the clock'.

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2018, 03:49:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 5366
I think the players have the right to protest whenever they want. Its the 1st Amendment.

Legally, speaking, they do not. You don't have the right to protest on someone else's property. And an employee does not have the right to protest while 'on the clock'.
Then arrest them. Then release them. But the NFL won't.

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2018, 03:53:17 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Danny Ainge

Then arrest them. Then release them. But the NFL won't.

Of course they won't arrest them. That would be overkill. But they certainly can fine them, or even suspend them.

Nobody seems to have an issue with the NBA's stance on this, which is pretty consistent with the NFL's new stance.