Author Topic: Goodell Releases Statement, New Policy on Protests  (Read 1582 times)

Re: Goodell Releases Statement, New Policy on Protests
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 02:04:00 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1191
It works for me.  The workplace isn't the venue to protest.  It's not like these guys don't have other avenues of making their views heard.

Roy I agree with this. I don't get how so many people don't

The NFL makes $$ by marketing not just a sport but the players themselves, i.e. the players as people / public personas.

Yet the league also wants to dictate how, when, and what the players say.

Seems like it's a little different than a normal workplace, no?

An individual's right to peaceful assembly does not extend to private property, which is exactly what a workplace is. You don't have a right to protest on someone else's property, nor while you are "on the clock" so to speak. If you showed up to your place of work today and in the middle of the office started protesting something, your employer has the right to demand you stop or leave the premises.

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 02:20:07 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 190
There are the equity partners in the league (the owners) and everyone else is the help. The owners only listen to their paying customers and sponsors.  The majority of their paying customers don't like the anthem protests.  And anyone who sells product to that customer base (sponsors) is going to listen to them before any PC/Social justice advocates.

If players object to the rule - they can go play in Canada, play in the Indoor league, try to form their own league or quit and find another line of work. They're not going to strike over it because it's not worth losing paychecks over an issue like this one.

So they'll complain and in the end they'll go along.   Employees can always be replaced.  Ownership isn't going anywhere.

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 02:25:32 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 108
I think this is the right move. NFL is a private business delivering a product to its customers. The players can express their political views on their own time in a public forum.

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 02:25:51 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 371
It works for me.  The workplace isn't the venue to protest.  It's not like these guys don't have other avenues of making their views heard.

The NFL makes $$ by marketing not just a sport but the players themselves, i.e. the players as people / public personas.

The players make a good amount of coin for this.

I don't know of any employer that would allow employees to do or say things that would cost it money.

This is a smart business decision. The NFL stands to lose more viewers than gain by allowing this to go on.

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 02:51:43 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 744
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I used to love the NFL, every move like this makes me like it a little less.

I'd be really curious to see the demographics of the NFL. All their moves to me indicate that I am no longer a part of their core demographic and they don't really care about losing me as a viewer.

The NFL is not trending in the right direction in terms of ratings and their solution to this problem has seemed to be to pitch to their conservative base. I think this will be the death of the NFL, but maybe I say that because all their actions indicate they don't care much about what I think as a non-conservative.

It does seem interesting to me that the NBA has moved in a progressive direction, where the NFL has moved in a conservative one. I wonder how much it contributes to the NFL ratings declining and the NBA ratings increasing.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2018, 03:03:26 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 884

I'd be really curious to see the demographics of the NFL. All their moves to me indicate that I am no longer a part of their core demographic and they don't really care about losing me as a viewer.

The NFL is not trending in the right direction in terms of ratings and their solution to this problem has seemed to be to pitch to their conservative base. I think this will be the death of the NFL, but maybe I say that because all their actions indicate they don't care much about what I think as a non-conservative.

It does seem interesting to me that the NBA has moved in a progressive direction, where the NFL has moved in a conservative one. I wonder how much it contributes to the NFL ratings declining and the NBA ratings increasing.

Nice post!

I am not sure why we play the national anthem at sporting events anyway. They are games in which grown men get paid to play that draw an audience. I understand why it is used in the Olympics, but there is no reason in singing a national anthem at an event that only takes place within your own country.

With other sports, it just seems to be more tradition than anything else, but with the NFL it seems to be sending a nationalistic message. I really hope there are cameras in the locker rooms showing players not participating in the anthem celebration each game. Pretending that players aren't making a quiet, peaceful protest doesn't mean it's not happening.

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2018, 03:05:07 PM »

Offline TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Marcus Smart
  • Tommy Points: 30
Stupid.

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 03:05:11 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 899

But aren’t the players interchangeable? Tom Brady needed the NFL more than the NFL needed Tom Brady. Sure some players transcend the league but if Player X wasn’t in the NFL, the NFL would be just fine. These players would not be millionaires, they wouldn’t have a voice. Unlike most sports, there is no credible secondary league you can still thrive from (CFL is a joke, right?).

I personally don’t get kneeling but if players want to be polarizing and further the very divide they seek to remedy, do it on your own time.

Players should never purposely offend fans. Up until 2 years ago, I never heard of anyone being offended because a player was standing for the anthem. But if kneeling offends people so greatly (and I’m sure it’s easy to understand why veterans would be offended), they shouldn’t be allowed to do it.

My personal favorite is Bruce Maxwell (first player to kneel in MLB), who went ahead and pulled a gun on a delivery woman and threatened her just weeks after his “protest.”. He has since pled guilty to that. What a role model!
I AM A CELTIC

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2018, 03:07:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1547

But aren’t the players interchangeable?

"Chicken parm you taste so good."

No, they aren't.

If they were, the NFL and its media affiliates wouldn't pay so much money to hire charismatic ex-players to do halftime analysis, color commentary, etc.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2018, 03:08:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1547

An individual's right to peaceful assembly does not extend to private property, which is exactly what a workplace is.

You're confusing the issue; we're not talking about rights or constitutional amendments here.

I just think they don't have a legal argument to do it during the anthem while at the stadium on gameday.

Probably not, but that doesn't mean there isn't a valid argument that the players should be allowed to make political statements if they want to do so.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2018, 03:08:23 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 371

NFL is losing ratings and this played a part of it. I sincerely doubt the NFL is doing this to appease a certain ideology as much as it's trying to stop the bleeding. IF they gained viewers, they wouldn't have done anything to stop it. They had to wait and see the fallout before taking action. The thing is, for many this may be too little too late.

For me, I just want to watch football and not be told how unfair the US is by people who are living the epitome of the American dream.

Politics is everywhere, I'd like to be able to watch a sport without it being thrown in my face.

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2018, 03:08:53 PM »

Offline TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Marcus Smart
  • Tommy Points: 30
The last throes of the culture war. This won't stand.

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018, 03:11:45 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27757
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

And yet the NBA doesn’t allow protests during the anthem.  It’s a business decision made by employers to protect their product.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2018, 03:12:12 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 108

Really? The NBA came out against kneeling almost immediately. They did it quietly and discreetly, but it was never an issue for the NBA.

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2018, 03:13:16 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2426
So, by this time - I think I've FINALLY figured out America's Narrative with this thing.

By instituting THIS rule about the protests, it's simply saying - "Look, we get that you are upset about something. We also get that it is a VALID issue. But we don't want you protesting by using the National Anthem."

I get it. I got it long before this announcement.

"Go somewhere else and protest. Go online to The Player's Tribune or somewhere else. But don't disrupt our precious National Pastime (NFL) OR certainly NOT The National Anthem.

As a retired Navy Man that is also BLACK in this country I certainly understand what the Flag and Anthem has meant to ME. I "ALSO" understand that if someone is taking such a drastic stand to protest it in the manner that it has / WAS - then that person(s) also need to be heard.

With this ruling, it appears that the reasons behind such protests going forward should NOT be brought about in such a manner as kneeling for the Anthem.

In other words - we / America(?) does not care about the WHY....

We care about The Flag. We care about The Anthem. We care about losing money. We care about lost revenues. We care about job security. We care about whether our favorite NFL team is winning. Those things DEFINITELY are worth caring about.

But at what cost?

So, what are we becoming?
Marcus Smart "Impacts Winning." Boston Celtics Coach Brad Stevens