Author Topic: Goodell Releases Statement, New Policy on Protests  (Read 1320 times)

Goodell Releases Statement, New Policy on Protests
« on: May 23, 2018, 12:44:51 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 227
Official Release

The 32 member clubs of the National Football League have reaffirmed their strong commitment to work alongside our players to strengthen our communities and advance social justice.  The unique platform that we have created is unprecedented in its scope, and will provide extraordinary resources in support of programs to promote positive social change in our communities.

The membership also strongly believes that:

1. All team and league personnel on the field shall stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.

2. The Game Operations Manual will be revised to remove the requirement that all players be on the field for the Anthem.

3. Personnel who choose not to stand for the Anthem may stay in the locker room or in a similar location off the field until after the Anthem has been performed.

4. A club will be fined by the League if its personnel are on the field and do not stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.

5. Each club may develop its own work rules, consistent with the above principles, regarding its personnel who do not stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.

6. The Commissioner will impose appropriate discipline on league personnel who do not stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem.​

Re: Goodell Releases Statement, New Policy on Protests
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 12:57:05 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • Forever LIT
To be expected I guess. Still sucks though imo.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 01:00:49 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27828
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
It works for me.  The workplace isn't the venue to protest.  It's not like these guys don't have other avenues of making their views heard.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 01:29:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 995
It works for me.  The workplace isn't the venue to protest.  It's not like these guys don't have other avenues of making their views heard.

Roy I agree with this. I don't get how so many people don't

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 01:32:15 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 319
Didn't the league and players work out that there would be a program (like breast cancer awareness) where they would advocate or promote equality issues as a formal NFL program?

If that is the case, the players should have not problem with this policy.  It is the right way to resolve this (both parts) and move on.

Announced in January:

As part of its ongoing work to support its players, the NFL today announced a joint player and ownership commitment focused on social justice. The campaign, Let's Listen Together, launches today and includes a multi-layered roll-out including digital content and brand spots highlighting the player-led work on social and racial equality. The platform will also include social media support, as well as individual letters from players and owners sharing their stories and personal reasons for making social justice a priority.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 01:42:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1539
A not surprising way to handle this "problem" by the No Fun League.

We pay you to get brain damage playing blood sport, not to express political ideas.  We don't want to remind people how bad things are in the 'real world' when they're caught up in observing organized violence!
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 01:43:15 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Gordon Hayward
I guess a trigger warning wasn’t enough – the NFL needed a penalty so their sensitive feelings would not be hurt. Talk about political correctness. Kneeling did not interfere – at all – with the game or the players’ performing their contracted duties. It was a pretty reasonable, non disruptive way to express a point of view. The next time I hear a conservative complain about political correctness I will remind him of this - all done to enforce one point of view and silence views that conservative fans deem politically incorrect.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:48:56 PM by Sophomore »

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 01:43:46 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Forever LIT

Well the point of a protest is to be as in your face and to be seen by as many people as possible. Nobody will be watching them more than when they're on national TV so of course that'd be the best time to conduct a peaceful protest.

The disappointing aspect of this whole thing is how the media deliberately took his message out of context, and vilified him.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 01:44:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1539

The NFL makes $$ by marketing not just a sport but the players themselves, i.e. the players as people / public personas.

Yet the league also wants to dictate how, when, and what the players say.

Seems like it's a little different than a normal workplace, no?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 01:46:53 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 556
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Maybe it's because the flag and the National Anthem have nothing to do with the work, perhaps?  IMO, they should just get rid of the national anthem at games altogether.

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 01:49:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Satch Sanders

The NFL makes $$ by marketing not just a sport but the players themselves, i.e. the players as people / public personas.

Yet the league also wants to dictate how, when, and what the players say.

Seems like it's a little different than a normal workplace, no?

Pho every single one of these guys is a big time celebrity. The 4th string wide receiver can show up at a local mall and sign autographs for an hour any day of the week or make a statement that will immediately get them on the front page of ESPN with millions of eyeballs. I just don't have a lot of sympathy if these guys are going to pretend the only way they can have their voice heard is if they are doing it in a way that costs their employer money while at work.

I'll also add that I agree with the sentiment of what most of these players are saying also and think it takes a lot of courage for many of them to stand up on an issue that is going to financially hurt them. I just think they don't have a legal argument to do it during the anthem while at the stadium on gameday.

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 01:50:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Satch Sanders

Maybe it's because the flag and the National Anthem have nothing to do with the work, perhaps?  IMO, they should just get rid of the national anthem at games altogether.

I wouldn't really mind if they got rid of the national anthem. This is still the work though. If I show up at my office and go make some coffee in the break room and do something that cause harm to my employer they are not going to give me a beak because i was not actually at my computer doing a core function of my job.

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 01:59:11 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Gordon Hayward
Now I get it.

After all, how will we know this is a free country unless we require people to stand during the national anthem?

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 02:00:03 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1176
Good, no more on field protests. I can guess I can end my boycott of the NFL now, which makes me happy, since I like watching football.

The bottom line is I am not interested in seeing a protest during a sporting event.

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 02:01:33 PM »

Offline eja117

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1226
When the NCAA told kids they couldn't do the Tebow thing and put Bible verses on their eye black anymore I admit I didn't act like I cared lots and lots. And I'm not going to act like I care lots about this either.  But I'm also not going to be one of those people saying athletes only care about money because that clearly isn't true.