Author Topic: Lowe and Simmons on Smart's Contract  (Read 3928 times)

Re: Lowe and Simmons on Smart's Contract
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2018, 05:31:43 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
He should be paying the Celtics to even get on the court at this point, imo. Dude is beyond awful, lol ;D. Ugh.

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2018, 05:52:49 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I agree with their assessment.

Smart is in the bottom 20% of total shooting% and turnover rate% in the NBA, he hurts our offense almost as much as he helps our defense. He is good enough to be a rotation player and sometimes finisher, but that's it. He could be a late bloomer, but on a bunch of offensive benchmarks, he has had little progress other than on assist% and this year he's below his career averages on PER, total shooting%, and turnover% and none of his career averages are great. He has also been surpassed as a two-way player by Rozier. 

On the defensive side, he is all-NBA but similar all-NBA defenders Roberson of OKC and Beverly of the LAC make on average $10MM and $6MM, respectively, on contracts they signed in 2017 and 2015, respectively. They are both all-NBA defenders and both offensively challenged. You're not getting Smart (or Beverly in 2018) for $6MM, but getting much past $10MM is betting against 4 years experience that Smart's going to improve much offensively.

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2018, 05:55:41 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Is he not fairly fresh off of surgery guys?

Smitty77

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2018, 01:01:24 AM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Smart is in the bottom 20% of total shooting% and turnover rate% in the NBA, he hurts our offense almost as much as he helps our defense. He is good enough to be a rotation player and sometimes finisher, but that's it. He could be a late bloomer, but on a bunch of offensive benchmarks, he has had little progress other than on assist% and this year he's below his career averages on PER, total shooting%, and turnover% and none of his career averages are great. He has also been surpassed as a two-way player by Rozier. 

On the defensive side, he is all-NBA but similar all-NBA defenders Roberson of OKC and Beverly of the LAC make on average $10MM and $6MM, respectively, on contracts they signed in 2017 and 2015, respectively. They are both all-NBA defenders and both offensively challenged. You're not getting Smart (or Beverly in 2018) for $6MM, but getting much past $10MM is betting against 4 years experience that Smart's going to improve much offensively.

He’s only 23 though and still capable of making a leap as a shooter.

Whether he’s as much as negative offensively as he is a positive defensively is debatable, but isn’t it soooo much more fun seeing him rip a ball out of midair that only he can do than being mad at him bricking a three?

He’s fully capable of knocking down any shot, but how many players are capable of his defensive plays?

The kid is a Celtic.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2018, 01:06:37 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'd expect him to get 4 x 14 million at a minimum.

wow 14 million dollars for a 6th man?  NO WAY!!

Smart is a fantastic, elite defender, but he is an all-time bad shooter.  36% from the field and 30% from 3 point.  It's all time worst percentages.

So being realistic 4/40m would be a fair offer for Smart.  If he doesn't take it, well he can play on the cheap for 1 year at qualifying offer $$ and then go into free agency in 2020.

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2018, 01:17:07 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Whether he’s as much as negative offensively as he is a positive defensively is debatable, but isn’t it soooo much more fun seeing him rip a ball out of midair that only he can do than being mad at him bricking a three?

He’s fully capable of knocking down any shot, but how many players are capable of his defensive plays?

The kid is a Celtic.

Didn't say he was more of a negative offensively than a positive defensively. He's a rotation player who could start on another team.

The kid's a Celtic next season if his price is right.

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2018, 01:36:52 AM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

The kid is a Celtic.

Didn't say he was more of a negative offensively than a positive defensively. He's a rotation player who could start on another team.

The kid's a Celtic next season if his price is right.

Ya did say he hurts our offense almost as much as he helps our defense. I think it’s debatable (but certainly possible). I know ha NetRtg would suggest that’s true, but I think he makes winning plays more often than boneheaded ones.

I enjoy watching his play more than almost anyone in the NBA. He does things that very few can replicate. He has this uncanny feel for defense that most resembles a linebacker, he just reads and reacts with such tenacity.

I’d be shocked (and disappointed) if he isn’t on the team next season. I think it would be a very large and uncharacteristic mistake by Ainge to let him walk. Obviously the market will dictate how we proceed with him but others have pointed out that few teams make sense to outbid us as he only helps a playoff team/contender and few of those will be have the money/interest to pursue him.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2018, 01:43:46 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538

Honestly, I cannot see any team that has the cap space to offer Smart more than the MLE actually making an offer OTHER THAN THE MAVS.

Smart is from Texas. Although Cuban has never targeted RFA in FA, Smart could be one of the first. They'd have to rescind the cap holds of Ferrell, Curry, McDermott, Noel, and Mejiri.

Also, they have to ask if Smith is a good fit with Smart. They also have a lot of money invested in Matthews for one more year.

I've argued that the Mavs are a dark horse team in FA this year. DeAndre Jordan could finally wind up there, and they may be one of the teams targeting Leonard and/or George (trade package of Barnes + the 5th pick?).

The Mavs, Hawks, Bulls, and Nets might decide that Smart is their guy, rescind all other cap holds, and offer him a big contract, but I find that unlikely considering their roster construct.
The Mavs make sense.  Dirk is apparently coming back for another year and Cuban supposedly doesn't want to tank - so if you add Smart that's going to help change your culture and at least give you a shot at a 7-8 finish in the conference.  Cuban would know he's got to blow the C's out of the water in order to pry Smart away so maybe he makes an offer in the $15-$16 million range.