Author Topic: Jackie Mac on Smart free agency: "he's going for the money"  (Read 11202 times)

Re: Jackie Mac on Smart free agency: "he's going for the money"
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2018, 09:48:23 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
looking at realgms march article that projects cap space the following teams are projected to have $$ to offer Smart.

ATl $29mill+

Nets $14mill+

Bulls $12mill+

Pacers $32mill+

Lakers $58mill+

76ers $22mill+

Kings $20mill+

Looking at that list,

Lakers and 76ers are looking to catch a bigger fish and I cant see them offering to Smart

Kings and Bulls already have their starters in the back-court.

That leaves ATL, Pacers and the Nets as the logical threats to make an offer to Smart.

The Hawks scare me as they could look to move Schroder and then signing Smart would be the begining of a quick team culture change.

The Pacers have a team option on Lance Stephenson for only 4.3mill and he plays a similar role to Smart. I suspect they will look to spend their money else where.

The Nets could make some sense but they have good depth at PG and Wing and may look to instead take a shot on a high upside RFA like Gordon, Parker or Randle.

So my conclusion is short of a team just messing with the Cs I see the only threat of a Smart offer as coming from Atlanta. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2018, 09:53:27 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I can see all of the Pacers/Atlanta/Nets/Kings having interest in Smart.

Because he's a RFA though I don't see any of them except the Kings willing to offer him enough that the C's wouldn't match. No one wants to overpay the 6th man type who cannot space the floor, except maybe the Kings because they are dumb.

I think he either figures out a compromise with the C's or takes the QO.

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2018, 09:54:59 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I expect Boston to draft a defensive minded guard this year just in case.
I'm sure that'll be on Danny's offseason radar but our draft position is such he might need to look in FA instead.

I imagine I will get blasted for this one, but Indy has a team option next season on Lance Stephenson for $4.3M - I wonder what it would take to pry him away.
We'd have to send far too good of a draft pick or player for Stephenson. Rozier or one of the picks that has the chance to be good.

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2018, 10:05:13 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Setting emotions aside, but, only for the moment...

We could compare Smart's potential deal at $14M/year with other $14M/yr players.

Middleton
Dieng
Rubio
Drew...I mean Bledsoe, etc.

Is that what Ainge is doing? He already knows what he will offer for crying out loud. Smart's agent Happy Walters carried on about Ainge passing on the extension last year.

Ainge never does anything he "doesn't have to do."

Has Smart elevated his value this year?

This may be what it is all about...Smart has not changed his value except, as the Celtics are a better team? Smart is playing like Smart in "bigger games" elevating his name on a bigger stage. Imagine the Celtics beating the Cav's and Smart gets some national games against GSW.

Back to reality. I think we can all agree that Smart on a second tier team isn't going to make them better. Smart on the Pacers (as mentioned in this thread), will make them better.

Smart is our guy. Like everyone else here, I want to pay him.

He is a key element in the locker room and he doesn't have an offensive game. Marcus Smart's valuation proposal isn't that strong and Ainge will play it to the end.

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2018, 10:14:03 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Just taking a look at things from Smart's perspective, if he's being honest with himself...

He's been on this team since our roster was garbage.  Now, over maybe 12 million a year vs 9 million a year, he'd consider leaving this team to likely go somewhere much less competitive?

He isn't a typical 12m a year FA.  This Celtics team mitigates his weak shooting, and on this team his winning plays and hustle have the maximum possible effect.  It's almost a perfect fit.

He might get paid a few bucks more elsewhere, but he's the ultimate competitor, and I have to think he factors in that playing here allows him to be the best, most impactful player he can be.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2018, 10:18:35 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm sure that'll be on Danny's offseason radar but our draft position is such he might need to look in FA instead.

I imagine I will get blasted for this one, but Indy has a team option next season on Lance Stephenson for $4.3M - I wonder what it would take to pry him away.
We'd have to send far too good of a draft pick or player for Stephenson. Rozier or one of the picks that has the chance to be good.

I was thinking more along the lines of Yabusele, Nader, and our #27. Even then I hate to add in Yabusele. This would especially be a possibility if Indy targeted Smart in FA.

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2018, 10:58:58 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Just not Sacramento, not Sacramento, not Sacramento...

Mike

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2018, 11:06:02 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I was thinking more along the lines of Yabusele, Nader, and our #27. Even then I hate to add in Yabusele. This would especially be a possibility if Indy targeted Smart in FA.
I don't think Nader/Yabu have any value right now.

I don't think Indy would take the #27 pick for Stephenson, not unless they were looking to dump him entirely. Too valuable as a cheap one year rotation player for a team that is looking to build off their playoff run.

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2018, 11:08:42 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Package Smart and SAC `19 and others for KAT. Get it done Ainge.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2018, 11:11:39 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
If I am Danny... I would absolutely match any offer Smart gets for 2 obvious reasons.

1. Smart helps you win a championship next year and you cant replace him if he leaves.  This to me is a huge factor.

2. Smarts contract at say 14m/4 year will still be extremely trade-able next off season when many more teams have money AND we will have Sacromento's pick to package it.  Smarts 14 mil + a pick + filler could net us a very good player. 

Either way Danny will have options with Smart and you dont let him walk and lose those options.

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2018, 11:32:24 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Apparently, much like Rozier, Smart fancies himself as a starter, wants to start someplace, and get paid as much as possible. Do I think Smart gives Boston a discount? Nope, because he will never be a starter here, his offensive role is just going to diminish and so are his minutes starting next year.

If I am Danny and can snag him for $9 or maybe as high as $10 million, I sign him. If Smart signs an offer sheet at $12 million plus, you have to let him walk and grab a replacement like Grayson Allen in the draft.

was about to say we cannot overpay for a non offensive player. have to find another high energy tough guy who can play D and brings game changing intangibles to the table like smart.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2018, 11:38:15 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't agree with the narrative that Smart is going to look for a bigger role.  He has a big role with the Celtics, about 30 mins/gm the last two seasons including plenty of time in the 4th quarter.  Starting or not does not seem to worry him.  I sense that he understands and likes his role on the Celtics.

As for the money, who knows what kind of offers he will get.  Historically, players always get more than I think they should.  Sometimes those contracts look really bad in a few years, sometimes they look OK.  I don't know what teams are going to bid him up.  $14M per seems really high to me.  I just can't think who is in a position to offer that.

Maybe the offers are few and he does settle for $6,000,000 QA and rolls the dice as a UFA. in 2019.
Very true but, his role is going to change next year. The addition of Hayward and further development of Rozier could very well mean less minutes for Smart and I could easily see the team ending games the same way they start them, with Irving, Brown, Hayward, Tatum and Horford.

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2018, 11:40:00 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I think Marcus is gone. Some team will feel the need to give him 30+ mpg and $10m+ per year. I think his elite defense deserves a prominent role on a team in the league, though I'm not sure he should get paid in Boston.

I've liked him since the day I saw him on a mock draft. I liked how he stayed in school, and I didn't even mind him pushing the fan at OK St. I loved the draft pick (I didn't want Randle), and have thoroughly enjoyed watching Marcus Smart in his time in green.

That being said, I don't want the Celtics to pay him as if he's a top 6 player.

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2018, 11:44:07 AM »

• Dennis Johnson
If I am Danny... I would absolutely match any offer Smart gets for 2 obvious reasons.

1. Smart helps you win a championship next year and you cant replace him if he leaves.  This to me is a huge factor.

2. Smarts contract at say 14m/4 year will still be extremely trade-able next off season when many more teams have money AND we will have Sacromento's pick to package it.  Smarts 14 mil + a pick + filler could net us a very good player. 

Either way Danny will have options with Smart and you dont let him walk and lose those options.

u may be right.  put him in a trade package so we get a return.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2018, 11:45:21 AM »

• Dennis Johnson
I don't agree with the narrative that Smart is going to look for a bigger role.  He has a big role with the Celtics, about 30 mins/gm the last two seasons including plenty of time in the 4th quarter.  Starting or not does not seem to worry him.  I sense that he understands and likes his role on the Celtics.

As for the money, who knows what kind of offers he will get.  Historically, players always get more than I think they should.  Sometimes those contracts look really bad in a few years, sometimes they look OK.  I don't know what teams are going to bid him up.  $14M per seems really high to me.  I just can't think who is in a position to offer that.

Maybe the offers are few and he does settle for $6,000,000 QA and rolls the dice as a UFA. in 2019.
Very true but, his role is going to change next year. The addition of Hayward and further development of Rozier could very well mean less minutes for Smart and I could easily see the team ending games the same way they start them, with Irving, Brown, Hayward, Tatum and Horford.

good points as well.
LET'S GO CELTICS!