Author Topic: Jackie Mac on Smart free agency: "he's going for the money"  (Read 11197 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://uproxx.com/dimemag/marcus-smart-free-agency-rumors-boston-celtics/amp/

“I’ve talked to lots of people around the Celtics and around the league about Marcus Smart. If Marcus Smart was willing to take a – let’s say Sacramento for arguments sake or another team that isn’t quite good. And they offer him $14 million a year. And the Celtics say, ‘We can’t pay you that. But we’ll pay you $12 (million).’ My question to them was will Marcus Smart take it because they’re contending, he’s a cult hero in town. Every one of them said, ‘Hell no, he’s going for the money.’ I’ve never asked him this question. But that’s the impression I get. You can’t blame young guys who want to go out to the highest bidder and thinks he should be a starter and he’s not going to be one in Boston for many years to come.”

Interesting to note, Zach Lowe disagrees (however I don't know if he has asked inside sources for opinions  or its just a hunch):
https://twitter.com/BlazersBySagar/status/998734380070678528
"Simmons: “Is Kyrie Irving on the Celtics next year?”

Lowe: “Yes.”

Simmons: “Is Terry Rozier on the Celtics next year?”

Lowe: “Yup. I think everyone’s on the Celtics next year. I think [Marcus] Smart takes his qualifying offer."

Re: Jackie Mac on Smart free agency: "he's going for the money"
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 02:28:41 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Jackie Mac sold out for espn. Take her less seriously than I used to

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 02:31:29 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
??? His qualifying offer??

"Hi Marcus, we are prepared to offer you 56 million dollars of guaranteed money to play in Sacramento"

"Oh wow, super sweet of you, but I'll just take the 6 million, and hope everything turns out better once I fall even further down the roster with a healthy Kyrie and Hayward."

LOL - great hot take Zach.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 02:38:35 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Jackie Mac sold out for espn. Take her less seriously than I used to

She's still often right more than others are.

I don't believe her in this though. Maybe if the difference in offers is huge but for a couple of mill a year it's not worth him leaving. I guess if he thinks being a starter is that important then he would but he doesn't seem like the type of player to prioritise that over winning

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 03:20:51 AM »

Offline sirnastee

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
??? His qualifying offer??

"Hi Marcus, we are prepared to offer you 56 million dollars of guaranteed money to play in Sacramento"

"Oh wow, super sweet of you, but I'll just take the 6 million, and hope everything turns out better once I fall even further down the roster with a healthy Kyrie and Hayward."

LOL - great hot take Zach.

I actually agree with Lowe.  I think there's a great chance that Smart finds himself with no real long term offers.  With all the free agents this summer, and less cap space than previous summers, I don't know if any team with salary cap is going to want to spend 10+ million per year on Smart at a long-term contract.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 03:42:33 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Apparently, much like Rozier, Smart fancies himself as a starter, wants to start someplace, and get paid as much as possible. Do I think Smart gives Boston a discount? Nope, because he will never be a starter here, his offensive role is just going to diminish and so are his minutes starting next year.

If I am Danny and can snag him for $9 or maybe as high as $10 million, I sign him. If Smart signs an offer sheet at $12 million plus, you have to let him walk and grab a replacement like Grayson Allen in the draft.

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 03:59:00 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I also think Smart is gone this summer.

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 05:29:50 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
So much for an article about an "impression he get".

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 06:39:56 AM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Apparently, much like Rozier, Smart fancies himself as a starter, wants to start someplace, and get paid as much as possible. Do I think Smart gives Boston a discount? Nope, because he will never be a starter here, his offensive role is just going to diminish and so are his minutes starting next year.

If I am Danny and can snag him for $9 or maybe as high as $10 million, I sign him. If Smart signs an offer sheet at $12 million plus, you have to let him walk and grab a replacement like Grayson Allen in the draft.
The rumor prior to the beginning of the regular season was that Brad was going to start Smart until he told Brad that he would prefer coming off the bench.  I don't know the validity of that but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were true.  The importance of starting is highly overrated, playing starter minutes matters more and he should continue to warrant such.  His offensive role should diminish with Hayward and Irving back next year and that will make him even better.

Nothing good can come from the Celtics going all cheap Charlie on Smart and he ends up taking the qualifying offer, that would send the wrong message to Horford, Irving, Hayward and everyone else.  If the Celtics lose talent trying to stay out of the luxury tax at this stage they should be torn apart by the fan base as well.  4yr.-40mill. should probably be the very minimum they get away with signing him for no matter the market, I would expect more like 4yr.-50mill.

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 06:41:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think he should take the money. $2 million per year over four years is a pretty significant amount of money for a young guy.

That said, it’s not even claimed that the people interviewed have any inside knowledge.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 07:12:50 AM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he goes for the money.  It's the nature of professional sports generally speaking, especially for a guy hoping to get his first and maybe only big pay day.  Plus starting vs. coming off the bench can always be a big selling point for guys.

If you look at this roster and the contract situations, Smart and Baynes are the only contributing players on this team that are currently not guaranteed to be here next year.  My hope is that they each sign 1 year deals for fair market value, maybe even slightly less than that, so that we can bring the entire gang back next season with our full squad healthy with a real crack at the title.

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 07:18:53 AM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
I love Marcus but he isn’t the type of player that will make a bottom feeder all of a sudden be a regular playoff team.  He will take a playoff team and make them much more tough fierce and able to contend.

Based on that theory and looking at who has cap space, the Pacers are the only team I’d be worried offer him more than 10M per year on a contract we wouldn’t match.

I don’t see Sacramento or Atlanta or the nets or lakers offering him money closer to 15M per. I think he ends up staying.

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 07:43:35 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
If he's going for the money, then let's help him in a S&T somewhere.....
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 07:48:46 AM »

Online celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
I agree, he makes a good team better. He doesn't really move the needle for a bad team. He's not going to get the Nets into the playoffs, for example.

That being said, if a good team was to offer him more money, I wouldn't blame him for taking it.

Let's face it, there is no loyalty in the NBA. Danny had no problem trading IT after all he did for the Celtics last year. Played hurt, losing his sister, helping them recruit Haywood and Horford. None of that matters. Then for some reason people are disappointed when a player takes more money somewhere else. Why should he take less to stay, when he could very well be traded to any team at any time. At least this way he gets to pick where he goes. 

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 08:10:49 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
I think he should take the money. $2 million per year over four years is a pretty significant amount of money for a young guy.

That said, it’s not even claimed that the people interviewed have any inside knowledge.

Four years of probable mediocrity vs four years of contending for championships practically guaranteed could also play a role into any decision.

Under that scenario, he's already making 12 mill a year for four years...we ham and eggers are lucky to see triple digit k salaries...he's set for life with that money, as long as life doesn't include drugs, pricey women, or investing in an All You Can Eat Vegan Buffet! :)

But hanging with your buds, drawing those offensive fouls while seeing the opposing player go WTH?  And having the Garden crowd chant your name when you do that?

...priceless.