Author Topic: Why the Celtics needs to trade rozier in the off season or Ainge is an idiot  (Read 8653 times)

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Truly an agitating and arrogant title.
Not recognizing your own teams managing.
The best league management of this millennia.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Hayward and Kyrie coming off their injuries, you're looking at a minutes split something like this (this is very rough):

Irving (32)/Rozier (16)
Brown (16)/Smart (24)/Rozier (8 )
Hayward (24)/Brown (16)/Tatum (8 )
Tatum (24)/Hayward (8 )/Horford (16)
Horford (14)/Baynes (20)/Theis (14)

So are we trading Marcus Morris, or is he just not getting any minutes at all once Hayward comes back?  Or did you forget about him?

balancing minutes next year is going to be more difficult for Brad.

I think Morris gets traded. I see it coming down to needing to pick between letting Smart go, letting Baynes go, paying the luxury tax (which may also mean we can't re-sign Baynes if he wants the full MLE), and trading Morris. Since I think Morris adds less to the team when everyone is healthy, and in the event of an injury there are more people at his position.

If you go with the lineup I suggested, an injury to any Smart or Irving is easy to make up for (increase Smart and Rozier's minutes, play Brown at the 2 more, play Theis more, etc.). If you keep Morris and trade Rozier, you're stuck either playing the non-injured PG 48 mpg or having a Larkin/first round rookie/Rozier replacement playing significant minutes at PG. As for an injury to a wing, with no Morris on the roster you just play Jayson and Jaylen more at the 3, then give Theis, Smart, and Rozier more minutes.

I like the toughness Morris brings to the team this year, but with the jumps Jaylen and Jayson have made this season I just don't see his place on the team
I'm bitter.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Hayward and Kyrie coming off their injuries, you're looking at a minutes split something like this (this is very rough):

Irving (32)/Rozier (16)

So are we trading Marcus Morris, or is he just not getting any minutes at all once Hayward comes back?  Or did you forget about him?

balancing minutes next year is going to be more difficult for Brad.

I think Morris gets traded. I see it coming down to needing to pick between letting Smart go, letting Baynes go, paying the luxury tax (which may also mean we can't re-sign Baynes if he wants the full MLE), and trading Morris. Since I think Morris adds less to the team when everyone is healthy, and in the event of an injury there are more people at his position.

If you go with the lineup I suggested, an injury to any Smart or Irving is easy to make up for (increase Smart and Rozier's minutes, play Brown at the 2 more, play Theis more, etc.). If you keep Morris and trade Rozier, you're stuck either playing the non-injured PG 48 mpg or having a Larkin/first round rookie/Rozier replacement playing significant minutes at PG. As for an injury to a wing, with no Morris on the roster you just play Jayson and Jaylen more at the 3, then give Theis, Smart, and Rozier more minutes.

I like the toughness Morris brings to the team this year, but with the jumps Jaylen and Jayson have made this season I just don't see his place on the team
Curious as to what you think we can get for Morris? He’s on a bargain contract, and unless I’m missing something there’s nothing new on that roster that Morris was exchanged for.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline kgwannabe

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
I didn't mean to suggest that a rookie center would allow the Celts to win it all next year. Having said that, they are clearly missing a rim protector/rebounder. As previously mentioned, they defend the perimeter superbly and could be even more aggressive at the three point line if they had someone to clean up mistakes. Additionally, they'll need to be able to deal with Embiid and Yannis going forward. If Bamba can learn to shoot threes, he checks the boxes that the Celts need going forward. It appears unlikely that they'll get another shot at a young big like him soon (next years draft doesn't have a lot of bigs). I'd go Rozier, Sacramento and maybe the Clippers pick for Bamba and a second rounder (cost controlled potential depth). If Bamba pans out, this team is set for some years to come.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I would absolutely love the idea of trading Rozier.
1. I think he would net us good value
2. Were stacked at his position
3. He’ll be able to get more playing time elsewhere and really have a chance to flourish

I don’t know who we can get. Outside of the big names (Kawhi, KAT, AD), I don’t know who’s available. But even if we end up with an AB-for-Morris type of trade (both solid players swapping, no big splash), I’d be fine with that. Thon Maker maybe? Idk.
- LilRip

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I really dislike talking about trades at this particular point in the post-season, on the cusp of advancing to the NBA Finals. 

That said, I would not trade Rozier in the off-season but wait until before the trade deadline, if at all.  The team is one big backcourt injury away from absolutely NEEDING Rozier on this team next season.  Also, the C's could lose Smart in free agency.

Beyond that, it is a guard-driven league.  Terry might not like coming off the bench next year, but he plays an essential role and can probably be convinced to take that role one more season.

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

This is a major exaggeration on Bill's part.  Even if you ignore any minute reductions for Hayward and Kyrie coming off their injuries, you're looking at a minutes split something like this (this is very rough):

Irving (32)/Rozier (16)

Morris?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Really irritating title but I'll bite.

One question I have is that if Rozier is traded this offseason does a Tyreke Evans deal make sense? I remember people throwing cold water on our ability to re-sign him around the trade deadline. If we trade away Terry could we offer Tyreke a deal that can fit with a Smart extension?

I've never wavered in thinking that that aside from the injury concerns, Tyreke Evans would be a monster on this team. He'd be exactly the kind of 6th man to match us up player for player with GSW.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

One question I have is that if Rozier is traded this offseason does a Tyreke Evans deal make sense? I remember people throwing cold water on our ability to re-sign him around the trade deadline. If we trade away Terry could we offer Tyreke a deal that can fit with a Smart extension?

I've never wavered in thinking that that aside from the injury concerns, Tyreke Evans would be a monster on this team. He'd be exactly the kind of 6th man to match us up player for player with GSW.
I would absolutely love Tyreke on this team. He’d be so perfect for our pretty offensively challenged bench
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I would absolutely love Tyreke on this team. He’d be so perfect for our pretty offensively challenged bench

We could offer him the MLE, and hope to re-sign Baynes with the 20% increase.  It would certainly give us much more flexibility to decide what to do with Smart and Rozier. 

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Truly an agitating and arrogant title.
Not recognizing your own teams managing.
The best league management of this millennia.

It's hilarious that people still post "Ainge is an idiot if..." threads after he built a contender and then engineered the fastest rebuild in modern basketball history. Ainge and his team are great at their jobs.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I wonder how much of Roziers production  Jabari bird can replace, if he’s ready to do so
Zero seems about right to me. Bird might eventually become a NBA player but he's not there yet.

I mean it took Rozier 3 years to become a positive player and he's more talented than Bird.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I really don't trust Tyreke to repeat his scoring efficiency of last year, so I don't want him signed to long term money. I would have been happy to get him as a rental, but no thanks on paying him for more than one year.

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
The Cavs have been  checking Rozier pretty effectively the last two games. Terry is not a Rondo level passer by any means, but, it will be interesting to see if he can adjust.

Rozier is under contract next year, in what way isn't he the best choice based on talent/familiarity and cost to back up Irving?

(Yes, I hope Ainge trades him for Ayton, but, I'll stick with the above.)

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

If Hayward and Kyrie come back the offense of our bench should be a heck of a lot better. What would this year’s team have been like if Hayward was out there with them? Then factor in another year of development for Theis, Tatum, Brown, and Rozier.

Evans was a nice player last year - a huge offensive upgrade over Smart or Ojeleye. But I’m not sure 2d unit offense is going to be an issue next year, and we know we needed Semi’s defense and Smart’s toughness. If I had to target one area to improve, it would be making sure we have a solid defensive 5 to bang with the Embiids and Thompsons and Valanciunases of the world when we need that. Have to keep Baynes or (in a perfect world) upgrade.