Author Topic: Keep It Simple, C's! Quit Playing Like The "Scared Raptors"  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
Go back to doing the things you did in Games 1 and 2. Finishing at the rim, hitting the open looks, hounding their perimeter threats, cleaning up the glass/rebounding, and playing with confidence (like you want it).

Just a lot of stupid stuff last night like blown dunks, missed (open) layups, poor turnovers and not rebounding in key moments (while they did and tended to convert on 2nd chances).

Honestly, we've looked a lot like the Raptors in the last two games, in the sense that each time Lebron moves up the court and tries to push the tempo, we look afraid. Wasn't the case in Games 1 and 2 where even when Lebron was putting in work, we looked confident and up to the challenge. You just saw it in their eyes. Unfortunately, our confidence seems to have taken a big hit from Games 3 and 4. Also, even Lebron's 42-point triple double in Game 2 he had to work real hard for. Feels like it's been really easy for Lebron the last two games though.

Also, we're letting their role players get red hot and making them look a lot better than they are (I mean... since when does Kyle Korver suddenly look like Kawhi Leonard on defense like last night?? Seriously??)

And we need to stop trying too much fancy stuff. Last night, there were possessions where we moved the ball real well, BUT multiple guys passed up on open looks and then with the shot clock going down, we had someone like Horford or Brown attempt a contested fade-away. Not good.

Marcus Smart, as much as I love him, made "losing plays" last night. He showed grit and hustle, but also made some real boneheaded plays along the way. I'm sure he'll bounce back in Game 5, and we'll certainly need him too. It was brutal seeing Morris and Smart once during last night's game fight for a Cleveland miss to keep it in bounds, only for them to throw it to a wide open Cavaliers player right under the hoop for easy lay-ins. Brutal.

Again, C's need to make adjustments, but they got to keep it simple. Stick to the game plan, but most of all, play with confidence. When we are a confident group out there, we're a whole new team. Hopefully they can find that confidence and play with heart again at TD Garden, where it's no coincidence it seems that they are undefeated so far in the playoffs.

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic, but we also got to start Game 5 well. Can't start falling behind big in the 1st quarter. We won Game 2 despite losing the first half, but I don't think we can do it again to be honest, especially against a Cavs team with momentum now. Got to come out firing, and contain Love and their other threats. Let Lebron get his 50, so long as we make him work and neutralize his other threats.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Keep It Simple, C's! Quit Playing Like The "Scared Raptors"
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 01:45:55 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
We've got to take care of home court, period.

Indiana did in the first round, but unfortunately for them, Game 7 was at Cleveland.

I don't think we're necessarily playing scared, just stupid. These guys still feel confident, and rightfully so, but they'll need a Herculean effort the rest of this series to advance. These guys have proven us (and the world) wrong all season, and I think they'll continue to do so.

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 03:09:41 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I'm so sick of seeing them switch defenders on even the loosest of picks.  There were times last night where Rozier could have easily avoided the screen and stuck with his man but he just happily switched off onto LeBron.  Come on guys, don't make it so easy for Cleveland.  Their entire gameplan last night was to create a matchup they liked and then try to post up and either score or kick out for a shot or drive.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 03:33:16 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
You are so right about the Cs playing like the scared Raptors. Perhaps Brad should watch more tape of the Pacers playing the Cavs. The Pacers are not as talented as us and they don't have a better defender of LeBron than we have. I mean Bogdonovich? or the ear blower? We should be able to right this ship in game 5 and play unafraid and all out in game 6.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 03:33:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm so sick of seeing them switch defenders on even the loosest of picks.  There were times last night where Rozier could have easily avoided the screen and stuck with his man but he just happily switched off onto LeBron.  Come on guys, don't make it so easy for Cleveland.  Their entire gameplan last night was to create a matchup they liked and then try to post up and either score or kick out for a shot or drive.

I want to see some slightly longer stretches of Ojeyele on Lebron. I know it's probably a small sample size, but Ojeyele for the most part seems to keep Lebron out of the paint and forces him into jumpers. Unfortunately for Semi in Game 4... Lebron knocked down most of them. BUT you can live with that. Better than having Lebron just out-muscle Rozier into the paint for an easy layup.

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 04:23:52 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Why hasn't Stevens tried hedging Lebron with Rozier when the pick comes instead of straight forward switching. This gives enough time for Brown or Morris to recover. If Lebron tries to split then he will be met with multiple defenders.

Just try something different other than straight up Rozier trying to defend Lebron.

STEVENS must try something different.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 04:27:17 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Great thread and thoughts. I've also been surprised that Stevens is allowing Bron to go one on one for that long. I think he's going to throw a wrinkle at them tomorrow to make Lue adjust again.

It feels like Stevens is saving something because usually he would've made an adjustment by now.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 10:29:48 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
Does anyone take Skip Bayless seriously? He just called the Celtics the "Boston Raptors" and that they are overrated lol.

Seriously, this team is just two wins away from an NBA Finals appearance. They don't have two of their best players in the team. They are starting a rookie and a sophomore, much less a backup PG in these postseasons. He also predicted that OKC will beat the 76ers and win the title this year SMH. Skip, just go back to rooting for your Cowboys.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 10:40:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Does anyone take Skip Bayless seriously? He just called the Celtics the "Boston Raptors" and that they are overrated lol.

Seriously, this team is just two wins away from an NBA Finals appearance. They don't have two of their best players in the team. They are starting a rookie and a sophomore, much less a backup PG in these postseasons. He also predicted that OKC will beat the 76ers and win the title this year SMH. Skip, just go back to rooting for your Cowboys.

The guy is a wishy washy fool

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 10:47:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

He's AWFUL. But honestly this is just him "setting up" for his Lebron hate. If Boston wins this series, he will rip Lebron for losing to an "overrated" team and shred him apart. If CLE wins, then Skip will be "proven right" in a way with that (absurd) take. Cautious "win win" situation for Skippy.

I mean, last week he was praising the Celtics a lot.

He's like Cowherd who flip-flops every single day...

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 11:43:57 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Two words..stay aggressive

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 12:00:56 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I bet if we win the series he'll say something like "I never doubted them all along" or some bulldust. Awful journalist. Mystifies me how he has a job, let alone is a millionaire
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 08:55:00 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I wonder how much Stevens feels it will affect Kyrie and Hayward by them making the Finals without them. Would that cause some rift amongst the players for playing time next year. It's a dynamic that could blow up if not handled correctly.

How will it affect contract talks with Rozier and Smart?
How will it affect Brown and Tatum in terms of roles on the team and minutes.

I think Stevens can handle all of it. I think they got rid of the "me" guys but you never know until success happens.

I want to make the Finals and worry about those issues later because KAT is unhappy in Minny and Ainge isn't afraid to make a move.

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 09:32:59 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I wonder how much Stevens feels it will affect Kyrie and Hayward by them making the Finals without them. Would that cause some rift amongst the players for playing time next year. It's a dynamic that could blow up if not handled correctly.

How will it affect contract talks with Rozier and Smart?
How will it affect Brown and Tatum in terms of roles on the team and minutes.

I think Stevens can handle all of it. I think they got rid of the "me" guys but you never know until success happens.

I want to make the Finals and worry about those issues later because KAT is unhappy in Minny and Ainge isn't afraid to make a move.

Kyrie and Hayward are the least worried wheather we make the Finals or not.. Stop this nonesense about trading your two best players..

Every single time some other team's disgruntled star is available why do we have to get involved.. Let them worry about themselves coz Danny ain't touching the core 5 until he has seen what they can do.

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 09:37:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I really don't think making the Finals will effect things that much. Making the ECF and having it be competitive has already adjusted Rozier's horizon for his contract and shown Brown/Tatum in lead roles.