Author Topic: Lowe and Simmons on Smart's Contract  (Read 3891 times)

Lowe and Simmons on Smart's Contract
« on: May 22, 2018, 11:59:20 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Zach Lowe on the BS Podcast yesterday and they touched on Smart's contract situation. Simmons thinks 4 years, $40-44 mil is fair for Smart (I agree), Lowe thinks that Smart will reject that offer and take his qualifying offer to become an unrestricted free agent next year in a potentially more open free agent market.

Lowe also tries to come up with a number the Celtics won't pay for Smart and says, "14, 15, 16, I don't know..." So he's not quite sure what is too high for the Celtics but he starts thinking about the $14-16 mil a year range.

Also, fwiw, Simmons asks Lowe a couple of yes or no questions and when he asks "Is Kyrie Irving on the Celtics next year?" he says, "Yes," with complete confidence, no hesitation and there's no discussion about it at all.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Lowe and Simmons on Smart's Contract
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 12:02:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think it makes sense for the Celts and for Smart to do a one year deal.

They'll sort out what to do with Terry and Marcus after next season (when hopefully they're coming off a Finals run).

Look, Smart is a great player and he makes so many clutch plays.  He's basically the Celts' version of Iguodala.

That said, how much does it make sense to pay for the 6th best player on your team?

The Celts need to prioritize Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Horford.  Signing Smart should not jeopardize their ability to pay and keep all of those guys moving forward.

I suppose as long as Smart is a trade asset on his next deal it doesn't matter.  They can move him if/when Jaylen / Tatum need to get paid if necessary.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 12:17:14 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Smart has to realize he won’t find a better situation for his winning plays to have an impact. That said, I don’t expect him to take much less money to stay, if any.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 12:19:47 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think we'll have to slightly overpay to keep him.

I just hope Wyc is cool with paying an enormous payroll tax.

Smart is crucial to our hopes against GSW. He's the Ginobli for our team. His defense and hustle is like Ginobli's offense and hustle.

It's so important.
I'd expect him to get 4 x 14 million at a minimum.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 12:21:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I like Smart, but he shoots way too many 3's and he gets too emotional (some emotion is fine, but he goes way overboard).  Take the end of the game last night, C's had no real shot at winning, but there was Smart being super and overly aggressive with James.  I was really worried he was going to go to far, get suspended, and cost Boston any shot at winning the series.  I don't think he can tone it down, which is the real problem.  He reminds me a lot of Rondo.  Does a lot of the little things, but is just so immature on the court, and unlike Rondo, he doesn't know when to stop shooting. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 12:25:39 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think we'll have to slightly overpay to keep him.

I just hope Wyc is cool with paying an enormous payroll tax.

Smart is crucial to our hopes against GSW. He's the Ginobli for our team. His defense and hustle is like Ginobli's offense and hustle.

It's so important.
I'd expect him to get 4 x 14 million at a minimum.
the important question is --> who'd pay Smart that kind of money?  I don't see any team that would want to tie up that kind of money on a guy they can't count on for offensive production this offseason.  Can't see a developing team wanting him just yet since he's the kind of player you bring in when you're looking for that right piece to put you over the top.  by that same logic, I don't see any team looking for that extra piece with the cap room to add him.  Philly perhaps has the room but they need shooting to go with Simmons and Fultz as well as spreading the floor for Embiid to work. 

I really don't see anyone offering more than the MLE this year or even next (unless there's a huge jump in the salary cap due to an influx of new gambling revenue).

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 12:28:46 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
11 or 12 mill a year sounds about right.  I wouldn't be surprised if he only a one-year deal although I don't think he helps his situation if he does.  I think teams are going to be reluctant to pay more.  There are already a ton of good point guards in the league and  a lot of former Celtics don't fair nearly as well on their new teams.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 12:29:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I like Smart, but he shoots way too many 3's and he gets too emotional (some emotion is fine, but he goes way overboard).  Take the end of the game last night, C's had no real shot at winning, but there was Smart being super and overly aggressive with James.  I was really worried he was going to go to far, get suspended, and cost Boston any shot at winning the series.  I don't think he can tone it down, which is the real problem.  He reminds me a lot of Rondo.  Does a lot of the little things, but is just so immature on the court, and unlike Rondo, he doesn't know when to stop shooting. 
hard to blame him at the end of the game with Lebron shoving him and giving elbows every time Smart covered him.  took a hand to the face once or twice iirc. 

wouldn't have objected to Smart connecting with a punch to Lebron to let him know that won't be tolerated and draw attention to the crap Bron's been pulling.  Of course that'd leave Rozier as our only PG which would be a real issue but I'd love to see the shock on Bron's face if someone decked him for that crap.  that's how they handled that garbage in the 70/80's and I miss that. 

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 12:29:51 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am good with the QO contract for Smart. 

Just don't overpay the role players.   That is how teams end up trading better talents away.  No matter how good a team gets, there is always a cut off on how much they will pay. 

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 12:32:54 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I really don't get the thought that Smart shoots too much. In starter minutes he shoots 8-12 times a game, that's fine.

I'd love if he didn't take pull up jumpers when the whole team stops moving which happens once or twice a game, but that's a collective issue of a play breaking down and no one reseting quickly.

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 12:33:31 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
hard to blame him at the end of the game with Lebron shoving him and giving elbows every time Smart covered him.  took a hand to the face once or twice iirc. 

wouldn't have objected to Smart connecting with a punch to Lebron to let him know that won't be tolerated and draw attention to the crap Bron's been pulling.  Of course that'd leave Rozier as our only PG which would be a real issue but I'd love to see the shock on Bron's face if someone decked him for that crap.  that's how they handled that garbage in the 70/80's and I miss that.

So Smart throws a punch, gets suspended for 2 games(Arron Afflalo was suspended 2 for his antics) in a now best of 3 series, we get sent home early while the Cavs go through to the Finals?

Yeah. That'll REALLY show LeBron ::)
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 12:41:10 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Toughness is as much mental as physical. Its not mentally tough to throw a punch and get yourself kicked out of a series when your team needs you on the court.

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 12:47:03 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
He came no where near a suspendable offense last night. He just took a beating from Lebron.

He gets overly emotional but let's not pretend he almost got himself suspended last night.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 12:53:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
He came no where near a suspendable offense last night. He just took a beating from Lebron.

He gets overly emotional but let's not pretend he almost got himself suspended last night.
I never said he did nor even implied he did. 

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 12:56:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I really don't get the thought that Smart shoots too much. In starter minutes he shoots 8-12 times a game, that's fine.

I'd love if he didn't take pull up jumpers when the whole team stops moving which happens once or twice a game, but that's a collective issue of a play breaking down and no one reseting quickly.
He shoots too much because he is perhaps the worst shooter in the history of the game.  If he was shooting layups, sure, shoot away, but someone who 4 years in shooting 4.2 3's a game and hits them at just 29.3% shouldn't shoot them (or at least not anywhere near the rate he does).  It takes away from his overall game and value.