Author Topic: Adjustments for Game 5  (Read 1639 times)

Adjustments for Game 5
« on: May 22, 2018, 10:20:48 AM »

Offline green18!

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
Yes, it's in "the crib." But they still have to do it on the floor. A few thoughts:

1) I'd start Baynes and Morris, and bring Tatum off the bench as instant offense. This would put Baynes on Thompson, keep Morris on LeBron, and create the favorable Horford on Love matchup. My only concern would be Tatum's psyche -- I'd tell him he was playing 30+ minutes, that he is closing the game, and that we are expecting him to score when he's out there.

2) Smart on LeBron worked surprisingly well last night given the size disparity. I'd try that in stretches, not only at the end of the game, but also earlier if LeBron starts to get rolling. We need someone to match his physicality, and Smart can be that guy.

3) Everyone is saying this but it's true -- they don't need to switch every screen. Some of those are pretty weak-ass screens, anyway. Especially with Rozier.

4) Pressing also seemed to have a little success in stretches last night, especially when Rozier and Smart are out there simultaneously. But a limited weapon b/c they are only playing 7 1/2 guys.

5) Close with Smart, Brown, Morris, Tatum, Horford, as I think they did last night. Fully switchable. Consider more minutes for Baynes if they continue to get beat on the glass.

Other than that, keep their composure, have the crowd bring it, and pray to the Leprechauns.

Agree/disagree? Other adjustments?

Re: Adjustments for Game 5
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 10:23:04 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Hit shots they hit in the first two games and missed in the second two games.

Don't overreact to other trends.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 10:24:52 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Go back to the starting lineup with Baynes replacing Morris.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 10:40:43 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Stop starting the games slow and digging a double digit hole. That would be nice.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 10:51:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Have a better plan to handle the Rozier targeting. Get Tatum to attack weaker defenders rather than Thompson.

Get a few more calls going to the rim and most of all make shots at the rim.

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 10:52:26 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Hit shots they hit in the first two games and missed in the second two games.

Don't overreact to other trends.
Making jump shots when Thompson drops in PnR and DHO coverage would be huge for opening up things offensively.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 11:09:55 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Have a better plan to handle the Rozier targeting. Get Tatum to attack weaker defenders rather than Thompson.

the 3 missed dunks and 3 missed layups (there may have been more I missed) would have made this a much different game if they simply made those.  Perhaps using 2 hands to jam it instead of 1 would ensure the ball goes through the hoop.

looked like a lot of jitters in that first quarter.  would get them to calm down and play their game.  2 prime issues that should be addressed is Rozier being picked on by the Cavs offense --> limit switching when Bron is trying to get Rozier off that switch.  Also need to stick like glue to Korver on the perimeter.   keeping him and JR in check makes a huge impact on their offense. 

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 11:12:47 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Here are my adjustments for Game 5:

1) Make LeBron work on defense. Make him run all game long on defense. There is no possible way that he should be able to play 42 minutes on 1 day rest. I keep seeing him guarding people who are just camping out on the corner 3 and switching off the defender when he leaves (someone picks up the guy he was guarding so that he doesn't need to move). They need to use this switch to their advantage. The person on the 3 pt line needs to cut to the basket. When LeBron doesn't follow him, it's an easy 2 pts.

2) Attack Kevin Love & Kyle Korver. That's their weakness. They should NEVER be able to play a lineup that has both of them on the floor at the same time because we have too many offensive threats. Brown vs Korver was just humiliating to watch. Force the switch, give him space, and either get an easy layup or a wide open 3. Al Horford needs to pound Kevin Love every time he has that matchup. They should have gone immediately to it the moment Love checked back in with 5 fouls. This forces LeBron to do everything on offense.

3) Attack the defensive and offensive boards. They aren't running in transition because LeBron is conserving energy. They don't need to get back in transition. Attack the glass, get the boards. On defensive rebounds, all 5 Celtics need to come to the basket on a shot. We aren't going to get transition buckets against a 3 pt team anyways because they're all on the 3 pt line, so 4 of them go back on defense while TT or Love goes for the rebound. If we can't get a rebound 1 on 5, we have no chance.

4) Do not switch the Rozier pick and roll. Instead, give LeBron the open lane and throw another body at him. Make him make the pass or the shot. If you are in a situation where Rozier is guarding someone in the post, immediately double. Make them have to make an outside shot instead of conceding 2 free points.

5) Post up early and often, especially on the road. 3 pointers seem to be an issue on the road. We need to post up much more often. Al Horford, Smart, Brown and Tatum all have post games, and the Cavs have a bunch of poor 1 on 1 defenders.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 11:18:01 AM by Erik »

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 11:18:12 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I would consider starting Smart for Rozier. They wont be able to switch that easily
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 11:23:16 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Adjustments for game 5:

Play with energy and focus right from the opening tip

Make your shots

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
1. make a lay up
2. rebound
3. don't switch for no reason
4. be smart
5. don't let Smart jack up shots!!!!

I would also change the starting line up to:
Baynes
Horford
Morris
Brown
maybe Smart if he stops shooting

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 12:01:21 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
Stop starting the games slow and digging a double digit hole. That would be nice.

i know right?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 12:07:19 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
1. make a lay up
2. rebound
3. don't switch for no reason
4. be smart
5. don't let Smart jack up shots!!!!

I would also change the starting line up to:
Baynes
Horford
Morris
Brown
maybe Smart if he stops shooting

sadly that has been a MAJOR ISSUE
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 12:16:43 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125

I like this. I don't know why Stevens isn't targeting Korver with Brown and Tatum. Tatum needs to be aggressive from the jump. We keep waiting and taking their punches.

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 12:35:31 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Biggest adjustment has to be.... DO NOT miss 15 layups/dunks!!!