Author Topic: Damage control with a bit of reality mixed in  (Read 810 times)

Damage control with a bit of reality mixed in
« on: May 22, 2018, 10:09:54 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
Last night was rough, but anyone who watched that mess of a 1st qtr knows it could've been a 29 pt loss instead of just a 9.

If I'm the Cavs, I'm a little worried about how we won last night. Yes a win counts no matter how you get it, but how you win may also give insight into how the rest of the games play out. The way I look at it, while the Cavs and the resurrected corpse of Kyle Korver played well, the Celtics equally played bad.

They missed a tone of layups and dunks last night. When you miss those easy shots that turn into points for your opponent, your chances of winning are not good. Compound that with just some terrible decision making while they were making a run with a ref crew who doesn't know what a back court violation is, and you have a recipe for disaster. The thing is, it wasn't a disaster. The C's gave them a game despite Cleveland giving them their best shot. 

In essence, I believe Boston gave that game away as much as Cleveland won it. Sure the Cavs did a good job at getting switches on D, but Boston also helped out by acting like they didn't know how to react to it.

I don't believe the Cavs can play much better, but I do believe Boston can by a mile.

Win game 5, and the Cavs have a long tough road ahead to win the series. While it sucks losing and having a tied series, we still have HCA.

Still don't believe in Joe.

Re: Damage control with a bit of reality mixed in
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 10:16:44 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Game 5 is really game 7 for the Celtics. The refs just will not let Bron lose at home.

I think Stevens will go back to Baynes starting. Morris isn't the Bron stopper and I really can't figure out why Horford just goes into a shell when TT plays. I don't get it.

Poor Rozier, the guy was targeted last night. I think we may need Larkin back to be more of a playmaker and push the pace. Stop with the quick shots and go back to moving the ball.

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 10:22:45 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I like the idea of playing big as well.  I hate seeing the team out rebounded by 10.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 10:24:30 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
The Celtics probably left about 16 points on the board through missed layups, saving the ball under the opponents basket, and unlucky rebounds. Not likely to repeat, given the same circumstances going forward.

They need to close out on shooters better and move the ball quicker and more decisively earlier in the shot clock. The decoys are acting as decoys so that the Cleveland defense can focus on the second and third options. Have to make them commit to the first option so the second and third options provide more open looks. They need to be more aggressive coming to the ball even when they know the ball isn't coming to them.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 10:25:14 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
I like the idea of playing big as well.  I hate seeing the team out rebounded by 10.

A casual observance from me noticed they played better with Baynes in.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 10:29:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Kevin Love was awful last night though.  3 of 12 with 6 turnovers and 5 fouls.  He was active on the boards, but the rest of his game was just downright terrible.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 10:42:31 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Go back to Baynes to get TT off Al would be a start

But that means Brown or Tatum on James and that is risking quick foul trouble

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 10:50:20 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Go back to Baynes to get TT off Al would be a start

But that means Brown or Tatum on James and that is risking quick foul trouble

Hope they play smart.   Be prepared to bring in Morris quickly.

It is not like the Celtics current defense is slowing Lebron down with Morris on him to start. 

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 10:50:27 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
The two home games 50% shooting for Celtics
Two games in Cleveland 37.2% shooting for Celtics

A lot of the misses were just misses, Cav's defense is barely average, in most cases, they just stand there and watch you shoot.

Hit some shots and everything will be ok. Shoot 37% in game 5? Not so much.

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 10:54:41 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
They have to do a better job defending the guys around LBJ. Can't let Hill, Nance, Korver or Love go for double digits and timely hoops.

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 11:23:14 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
The two home games 50% shooting for Celtics
Two games in Cleveland 37.2% shooting for Celtics

A lot of the misses were just misses, Cav's defense is barely average, in most cases, they just stand there and watch you shoot.

Hit some shots and everything will be ok. Shoot 37% in game 5? Not so much.

Yup.  I expect our role players and young guys to shoot a lot better at home in Game 5 than they did on the road in Games 3&4.  I also expect Cleveland's role players and shooters to play worse on the road in Game 5 than they did at home the past 2 games.  That's just how things usually go with home / road splits of role players and most guys 24 and younger. 

Hopefully we get out to a hot start, don't miss so many bunnies throughout the game, and are more able to compete on the boards.  Whether it's Baynes starting, or Morris.

We should be able to do these things tomorrow, and if we do most of them, we're likely to win.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 11:23:30 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I think it's a mistake not using Monroe. When a team is struggling on offense the best way to settle things down is to get some buckets\fouls in the post\paint. It should eventually open some shots up for the wings. We have no post presence so far in this series. Go back to using Horford and Monroe together because TT is really their only interior big man.

Baynes doesn't have the paint skills like Monroe, but Monroe needs some minutes.

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 11:39:49 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
we sure as heck do not wanna be in the position we had the heat in during the 2012 ECF. heat win first two at home. then we win 3 straight including one in miami. with a shot to close out at home in 6. could not ask for a better situation. we blew it and lebron killed us. if we do not win game 5 we are done. we won't be down 3-2 having lost 3 straight like that heat team and pull off a miraculous win in cleveland then close out at home like they did.  we are garbage on the road. game 5 is a MUST WIN and THEN game 7.
LET'S GO CELTICS!