Author Topic: this team is "house money," But that's a bad excuse during losses  (Read 1075 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Ok here's my rant  ;D

I continue seeing comments from Celtic fans everywhere  excusing any losses by reminding us that this team is playing with "house money." I get that we don't have our 2 best players (each of which are top 15-20 nba players ), but those are excuses. On paper we are still more talented than the cavs. Their 3rd best player is 37 year old korver. We have horford, brown, Tatum, rozier, morris, smart, etc

We know what our guys are capable of. Unless you believe Larry Nance jr and George hill are better than rozier and Tatum, then we def have the better talent and coaching, the home court advantage, the best defender of lebron in the nba, we have everything on our side to get us to the finals and we should end this series with a win. Anything short of winning this series is an excuse.

List of excuses:
"Celtics are too young."
 "c's have no stars"
"opposing team has lebron who's the best player so they will win by default"
"playing with house money, no kyrie or Hayward"

Next year won't be as easy as people think. The east will have better teams. Who knows what free agents Philly might be able to snag... They might even pry Baynes and smart Too. I don't think they will but you never know.
. Lebron, kawhi, and Paul george will be somewhere maybe together waiting for us to. I like our chances next year, but we have chances this year as well 

House money is no excuse for brown getting swatted by old man korver like 3 times, and many other mistakes we saw like missed dunks and layups

Ps- I do think we are playing with house money, but I want to win too. I will only use house money as a way of making our wins more satisfying.    ;D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:18:45 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: this team is "house money," But that's a bad excuse during losses
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 03:52:44 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I think the inexperience excuse is a valid one.

We have 3 starters and key members of the team with almost zero playoff experience.
We talked about this earlier this season. This is a young team and a consequence is games like the last two.

you cant do anything about this. Is part of the learning process

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 05:36:15 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Win or lose, it has been a great year. 

If I told you we would be in the ECF after losing Hayward five minutes in the season, you would not have believed me.   I told you that I we would do it without Kyrie, you would have fell out of your chair laughing.   Yet both of these things came to pass.   Now I did not foresee these things but when one reflects on this matter it is amazing.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 05:46:32 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
Not only are fans being treated to a team that is playing with House Money, the regular season journey that began with losing an all-star FA in the 1st five minutes and ended with another all-star out after knee surgery, was an absolute joy ride.  I can’t count how many “best win of the year” games there were.  The comebacks, the youth emerging into bonafide NBA talent, the defense shutting down opposing offenses, the coach drawing up magical plays during timeouts.  And then beginning the playoffs with low expectations and the excitement of getting past the Bucks, the euphoria of closing Philly out in 5, and even the surprise of holding homecourt in games 1 and 2 against the best player on the planet and his experienced cohorts.

I disagree that the C’s came into the ECF as the more talented team. And certainly they were not the team more likely to win 4 out of 7.   And they sit 2-2 today only needing 2 out of the next 3. Still unlikely (IMO) but definitely alive.  If they somehow stop the Cavs momentum and earn the right to face one of the West’s powerhouses for the championship , the joyride will find its final unfathomable resting place — win or lose.   

I refuse complain about gravy, even if it has a few unsavory lumps.   And this is gravy.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 07:54:38 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Not only are fans being treated to a team that is playing with House Money, the regular season journey that began with losing an all-star FA in the 1st five minutes and ended with another all-star out after knee surgery, was an absolute joy ride.  I can’t count how many “best win of the year” games there were.  The comebacks, the youth emerging into bonafide NBA talent, the defense shutting down opposing offenses, the coach drawing up magical plays during timeouts.  And then beginning the playoffs with low expectations and the excitement of getting past the Bucks, the euphoria of closing Philly out in 5, and even the surprise of holding homecourt in games 1 and 2 against the best player on the planet and his experienced cohorts.

I disagree that the C’s came into the ECF as the more talented team. And certainly they were not the team more likely to win 4 out of 7.   And they sit 2-2 today only needing 2 out of the next 3. Still unlikely (IMO) but definitely alive.  If they somehow stop the Cavs momentum and earn the right to face one of the West’s powerhouses for the championship , the joyride will find its final unfathomable resting place — win or lose.   

I refuse complain about gravy, even if it has a few unsavory lumps.   And this is gravy.

I agree, but it doesn't make missed at the rim or unforced turnovers any less aggravating to me.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 09:44:46 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736

I agree, but it doesn't make missed at the rim or unforced turnovers any less aggravating to me.

Yeah. It's only so comforting that the Celtics are overachieving when they come out and just play dumb, unfocused basketball like last night. It's been a great year and all things considered, I will consider this season a success no matter what but it's still frustrating when they're giving away winnable games.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 09:50:24 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 906
Doesn't sound like an excuse at all. "Playing with house money" is simply a reminder that we should appreciate how far this team has exceeded any realistic expectations and enjoy what we've gotten. 

There is no cognitive dissonance in saying that we are playing with house money and that we shouldn't have played so poorly in the past two games.

Mike

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 09:59:31 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think it's good to keep this year in perspective.

At the same time, history has shown that lots of teams think that they are in Year 1 of a long run of excellence only to find out that they had many fewer chances to make a genuine run to the Finals than they thought they would.

See: Thunder.

I think you have to appreciate every run you get because you never know how many chances your team will have to make it to the Finals, let alone win a title.

At the same time, if and when the Celts lose, whether it's a couple games from now or in the Finals, it is valuable to remember where the Celts were at just a few years ago and how young the core of the team is.  That will make it easier to feel optimistic in the wake of the loss.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 10:08:36 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
"house money" means that the team that the Celtics fielded in the playoffs have exceeded expectations and the young players are getting a great education on NBA Playoffs. 

I want them to win.  I still believe they can hold court at home.   

I just can't be disappointed on how the playoff team has played.