Author Topic: Stevens comments after game on "switch Defense" on lebron  (Read 4909 times)

Re: Stevens comments after game on "switches" on lebron
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2018, 01:04:19 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don’t mind the switches and I hope we continue with the strategy at home.  Brad is right in that Lebron will kill you either way.  The difference, at lest at home, is that the others won’t.
Yeah, given how many of Cleveland's points were off run outs on easy layups/good 3s that the C's missed I'm not upset about the strategy.

The C's have to get makes on those opportunities to win on the road.
Yeah, but if you are overworked defensively it causes problems offensively.  You can just get worn out, beat up, etc.  It is why many of the truly great players don't consistently work on both ends of the floor.  It just takes too much out of them. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Stevens comments after game on "switches" on lebron
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2018, 01:38:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
You know who would have been huge for us in this series? Theis. He had the size and quickness to help us deal with these matchup issues, and could also shoot from outside well enough to keep the Cavs defense honest. He could also help with the offensive boards.

But he wouldn't have made Terry any better defending Lebron.

Re: Stevens comments after game on "switch Defense" on lebron
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2018, 01:38:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think we need to play Smart more. He does a better job on Lebron than anyone, including Morris.

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2018, 01:44:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It's like what Rockets were doing against GSW. Forcing mismatch switches on Curry. I think the best way to counter that is put Smart on the starting lineup. Start Baynes too to counter Thompsons interior presence.

Lebron was doing this the game before. I was hoping Stevens would start Smart this game just for that reason. Smart can at least bang a bit more, and Rozier can play against the second unit. I get Morris has "good" defensive numbers on Lebron, he been meh over all against him.

But what really lost us the game  is we missed like 8 bunny's easily. Thats the game right there.
Think this can't be stated enough. 3 missed dunks. Twice as many if not more missed layups. Tons of shots within 6 feet thst were missed. Gotta clean that up.

I thought Stevens halftime adjustment of sending Brown or Tatum mid possession at Lebron or Thompson or Love after they got Rozier switched to them effective. Its just the Cavs were able to get the ball to the man Tatum or Jaylen left open a few times and Rozier's closeout was too late and the Cavs made the open look.

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2018, 01:59:21 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Ignore the final 7 minutes of Q1 and the Celtics win this game.  The defensive switching isn't the problem since they did it the entire game.  LeBron is going to get points against any type of defense you throw at him....  Switching causes him to settle for more jump shots than any other defense does.  LeBron makes those shots, hats off to him, but it is his worst shot to take.

The more concerning thing is the Celtics missed 3 wide open dunks and many, many layups.  If they make even half of the missed layups / dunks they win the game.

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2018, 03:45:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Ignore the final 7 minutes of Q1 and the Celtics win this game.  The defensive switching isn't the problem since they did it the entire game.  LeBron is going to get points against any type of defense you throw at him....  Switching causes him to settle for more jump shots than any other defense does.  LeBron makes those shots, hats off to him, but it is his worst shot to take.

The more concerning thing is the Celtics missed 3 wide open dunks and many, many layups.  If they make even half of the missed layups / dunks they win the game.
TP with everything here as I have said most of the same things.

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2018, 03:52:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2018, 04:30:01 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I think we need to play Smart more. He does a better job on Lebron than anyone, including Morris.

Why don't we try and start Smart on Lebron for a change in game 5 and get Rozier off the bench. This will throw the Cavs off guard and since its a home game, the probability of Smart making boneheaded plays on offense or even missing shots are low.

At this point im just sick of Lebron making mincemeat of Rozier everytime we switch.

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2018, 04:32:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Why don't we try and start Smart on Lebron for a change in game 5 and get Rozier off the bench. This will throw the Cavs off guard and since its a home game, the probability of Smart making boneheaded plays on offense or even missing shots are low.

At this point im just sick of Lebron making mincemeat of Rozier everytime we switch.
We need Rozier to win this series, I wouldn't bench him.

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2018, 04:52:43 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Personally, I think we're letting the Cavs off the hook by quick shots. We need to get those old legs to start wearing down by the 4th quarter. Too many quick shots.

As for defense, I'm not sure Morris is better on Bron than Semi. Give Semi a shot tomorrow. I would also hack-a-thompson at some point to stop runs and get back in the game.

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2018, 05:06:54 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Personally, I think we're letting the Cavs off the hook by quick shots. We need to get those old legs to start wearing down by the 4th quarter. Too many quick shots.

As for defense, I'm not sure Morris is better on Bron than Semi. Give Semi a shot tomorrow. I would also hack-a-thompson at some point to stop runs and get back in the game.

Semi might work better in Boston. In Cleveland, we really needed Morris out there for offense.