Author Topic: Stevens comments after game on "switch Defense" on lebron  (Read 4884 times)

Re: Stevens comments after game on "switch Defense" on lebron
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 06:57:41 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Anytime Rozier is guarding James Boston has lost before the play even begins
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 07:06:18 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Anytime Rozier is guarding James Boston has lost before the play even begins

Pretty much. It got to be something like a 90% chance that they will score two points and/or get a foul call.

An open 3 on the other hand has to be at best 40% chance of going in.

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 07:26:06 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
It's like what Rockets were doing against GSW. Forcing mismatch switches on Curry. I think the best way to counter that is put Smart on the starting lineup. Start Baynes too to counter Thompsons interior presence.

Lebron was doing this the game before. I was hoping Stevens would start Smart this game just for that reason. Smart can at least bang a bit more, and Rozier can play against the second unit. I get Morris has "good" defensive numbers on Lebron, he been meh over all against him.

But what really lost us the game  is we missed like 8 bunny's easily. Thats the game right there. 

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 07:26:21 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
It's like what Rockets were doing against GSW. Forcing mismatch switches on Curry. I think the best way to counter that is put Smart on the starting lineup. Start Baynes too to counter Thompsons interior presence.

Or do the same thing against them.. Force Hill to switch on Jaylen for example and JB can use his brute strength against Hill... Fight fire with fire.

We need to figure this one out very soo  or it would be a 6 game sweep for the Cavs.
Except the Cavs don't want to switch everything all the time.

Setting picks will force them to switch.

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2018, 08:12:33 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
C's switch lots of times when they don't have to and every time it kills them. I'm not sure if they are being out coached or our players are stupid but I see the same stuff all game long and to me it's easy to see why we lose.  :o

I'll add rebounding the ball would help too, how many times do I have to watch the Cavs get 2 or 3 chances in the same possession before I rip my eyes out of my head?? >:(

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2018, 08:24:52 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Man they PnR'ed Rozier to death. I'm sure he slept well...they made him play defense on anyone and everyone.

I don't think we're attacking JR Smith or Korver enough. I'm stunned that we aren't moving the ball and are settling for quick shots.

I'm hoping that now that a game is played every other day, the young legs of the Celtics will come into play.

Re: Stevens comments after game on "switches" on lebron
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 08:48:07 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
Nah. There's no reason why 6"2 Rozier should have been guarding LeBron half the game..no matter how you cut it.

It wasn't by our design, it was there's.  Was that not obvious?  You are getting the fact that it was never ever the Celtics intention to have Rozier guard Lebron. You do get that the Cavs set screens with George Hill to force the switch, right?

The alternative being Lebron gets left open, even for the one second that Jaylen needs to recover from the screen.  Brad, Horford, and Jaylen made a half time adjustment.  The Cavs forced the mismatch, not the Celtics.

There is a third alternative, you can blitz the screen (double team).  This is the Pat Riley (Miami Heat) approach.  This is the best way to neutralize the offensive player with the ball but leaves the screener open.  The defense then needs to rotate to eventually get everyone covered again.  This usually ends up with a mismatch on someone but not on LeBron.

Stevens is right, it is pick your poison.  James is good.  Switch on him and he scores.  Double him and he finds the open man.  The strategy was "don't let the other go off, even if LeBron gets his".  Yep, OK.

This isn't a scheme thing.  Each scheme can be exploited.  We just have to do the things we do better than they do the things they do.  That has not been the case the last two games.  CLE played very well.  They took these games and we couldn't stop them from doing that.

Now the pressure is back on us.  I don't think CLE is going to let up and repeat their lack of effort from games 1 and 2.  Doesn't mean we can't win this.  We have not had a close game this series.  My sense is that this will be the close game and it may decide the series.  It may come down to a shot at the end by somebody that goes in or not.

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2018, 09:05:03 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I think Stevens did the right thing. LeBron crushed us, but our second half defense on net was successful all the same. I thought many of those picks were moving, so they could have worked the refs more, and Brown could have worked around them a few times, but if we play D like we did in the second half, we will be fine.

When Brown was on LeBron straight up, I thought he was impressive. He's going to be a defensive monster for a very long time.

We lost because we were a mess on defense in the first half, and because we made endless unforced mistakes on offense. Rozier and Brown had a disastrous first quarter, but were pretty great the rest of the way, and Baynes played well, but everyone else was awful wire to wire. We could have won this one if just one or two other guys played average.

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2018, 09:34:56 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Nah. There's no reason why 6"2 Rozier should have been guarding LeBron half the game..no matter how you cut it.

It wasn't by our design, it was there's.  Was that not obvious?  You are getting the fact that it was never ever the Celtics intention to have Rozier guard Lebron. You do get that the Cavs set screens with George Hill to force the switch, right?

The alternative being Lebron gets left open, even for the one second that Jaylen needs to recover from the screen.  Brad, Horford, and Jaylen made a half time adjustment.  The Cavs forced the mismatch, not the Celtics.

There is a third alternative, you can blitz the screen (double team).  This is the Pat Riley (Miami Heat) approach.  This is the best way to neutralize the offensive player with the ball but leaves the screener open.  The defense then needs to rotate to eventually get everyone covered again.  This usually ends up with a mismatch on someone but not on LeBron.

Stevens is right, it is pick your poison.  James is good.  Switch on him and he scores.  Double him and he finds the open man.  The strategy was "don't let the other go off, even if LeBron gets his".  Yep, OK.

This isn't a scheme thing.  Each scheme can be exploited.  We just have to do the things we do better than they do the things they do.  That has not been the case the last two games.  CLE played very well.  They took these games and we couldn't stop them from doing that.

Now the pressure is back on us.  I don't think CLE is going to let up and repeat their lack of effort from games 1 and 2.  Doesn't mean we can't win this.  We have not had a close game this series.  My sense is that this will be the close game and it may decide the series.  It may come down to a shot at the end by somebody that goes in or not.
I'd prefer my poison to not come from a 6'2" poor defender guarding the best player in the world that is much bigger, stronger, faster, and more skilled.  When Rozier is on James, the only way that doesn't end in points for the Cavs is if James just flat out misses a wide open shot.  That isn't the way to win a game.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2018, 09:40:01 AM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
The Celtics were the best defensive team in the regular season switching this way. Let's not pretend like the switching is the sole reason the Celtics lost. Obviously something has to be done when Rozier is on Lebron because he's been betting rolled over.

Last night was about execution and the cold open. 15 missed dunks/layups. If 5 of those convert, that's the margin of victory for Cleveland. That and the Celtics won every quarter but the 1st when they were forcing everything and missing shots they should make. If the Celtics had played the right way, they'd have won this game. They beat themselves.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2018, 09:48:58 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
This loss is all on Brad... Of Lebrons 44 points how many of those points were driving right and making an easy layup/dunk? at least half!!! making adjustments during the game not comment after a loss!!!

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2018, 12:21:58 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
This loss is all on Brad... Of Lebrons 44 points how many of those points were driving right and making an easy layup/dunk? at least half!!! making adjustments during the game not comment after a loss!!!

I don't think it's Bard's fault that the Celts were missing dunks and lay ups left and right last night.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2018, 12:27:13 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
FIGHT THE SCREENS!!!
Look at the screens that players are allowed to set currently.

You cannot fight through them consistently because they're moving, using their arms, and just grabbing and walking the man they want out of the play onto them.

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2018, 12:28:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don’t mind the switches and I hope we continue with the strategy at home.  Brad is right in that Lebron will kill you either way.  The difference, at lest at home, is that the others won’t.
Yeah, given how many of Cleveland's points were off run outs on easy layups/good 3s that the C's missed I'm not upset about the strategy.

The C's have to get makes on those opportunities to win on the road.

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2018, 01:01:50 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
This is no one's fault really. We are a very young team that came out scared/nervous in a big playoff game on the road and by the time we settled down we couldn't scratch and claw our way back into the game.

We were borderline painful to watch in the first half but we calmed down quite a bit in the second half and started looking good again. I expect game 5 to be a MUCH better game for us.