Author Topic: Stevens comments after game on "switch Defense" on lebron  (Read 4910 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Brad Stevens on LeBron taking advantage of switches: "Sometimes you just have to pick your poison." He adds that the numbers say that we have been more effective while switching than not switching

https://mobile.twitter.com/celtics/status/998767092932505600
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 01:05:43 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: Stevens comments after game on "switches" on lebron
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 12:24:21 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Nah. There's no reason why 6"2 Rozier should have been guarding LeBron half the game..no matter how you cut it.

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 12:32:50 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
well Brad is an awesome coach, but no one is perfect.  gotta make some big time adjustments if we want to win the series.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 12:42:45 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
You know who would have been huge for us in this series? Theis. He had the size and quickness to help us deal with these matchup issues, and could also shoot from outside well enough to keep the Cavs defense honest. He could also help with the offensive boards.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 12:45:08 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I don’t mind the switches and I hope we continue with the strategy at home.  Brad is right in that Lebron will kill you either way.  The difference, at lest at home, is that the others won’t. 

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 12:51:46 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
the logic of the switches is driving me crazy. it is like we are inviting them, like we are fine with it. i cannot remember the last time someone acutally put in effort to go over the "screen". I say "screen" because for the most part it is not even a genuine screen, it's just a guy walking by and a switch occurs. But it is not just the celtics, the whole league is like that right now, and it drives me nuts, especially when you have a guy like marcus smart, that used to do that with ease.

FIGHT THE SCREENS!!!
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 12:59:11 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Brad Stevens on LeBron taking advantage of switches: "Sometimes you just have to pick your poison." He adds that the numbers say that we have been more effective while switching than not switching

https://mobile.twitter.com/celtics/status/998767092932505600

Oh Gawd, not the data analytics. You have to also coach by feel to be a great coach. Is Brad the Spock of NBA coaches ? He is known for staying calm in the middle of crunch time - but sometimes you need some emotion from your coach.

Brad needs to chew the players occasionally, definitely needs to chew on the refs more. And sometimes, put down the stat analysis and get a feel for what is happening on the court. What level of basketball did Brad reach as a player ? Not saying he needed to play in the NBA, but he needs some NBA grit and emotion sometimes ................... and common sense coaching.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 01:02:09 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We shoot better at home.

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 01:06:46 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
You know who would have been huge for us in this series? Theis. He had the size and quickness to help us deal with these matchup issues, and could also shoot from outside well enough to keep the Cavs defense honest. He could also help with the offensive boards.

absolutely.  he is so under rated. 

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 02:10:39 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I really hope we keep him
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 02:11:47 AM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Nah. There's no reason why 6"2 Rozier should have been guarding LeBron half the game..no matter how you cut it.

It wasn't by our design, it was there's.  Was that not obvious?  You are getting the fact that it was never ever the Celtics intention to have Rozier guard Lebron. You do get that the Cavs set screens with George Hill to force the switch, right?

The alternative being Lebron gets left open, even for the one second that Jaylen needs to recover from the screen.  Brad, Horford, and Jaylen made a half time adjustment.  The Cavs forced the mismatch, not the Celtics. 

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 03:31:43 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I really hope we keep him

his contract lasts one more year

Re: Stevens comments after game on "switch Defense" on lebron
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 04:08:44 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
It's like what Rockets were doing against GSW. Forcing mismatch switches on Curry. I think the best way to counter that is put Smart on the starting lineup. Start Baynes too to counter Thompsons interior presence.

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 04:35:25 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
It's like what Rockets were doing against GSW. Forcing mismatch switches on Curry. I think the best way to counter that is put Smart on the starting lineup. Start Baynes too to counter Thompsons interior presence.

Or do the same thing against them.. Force Hill to switch on Jaylen for example and JB can use his brute strength against Hill... Fight fire with fire.

We need to figure this one out very soo  or it would be a 6 game sweep for the Cavs.

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 06:32:20 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Or do the same thing against them.. Force Hill to switch on Jaylen for example and JB can use his brute strength against Hill... Fight fire with fire.

We need to figure this one out very soo  or it would be a 6 game sweep for the Cavs.
Except the Cavs don't want to switch everything all the time.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."