Author Topic: Bring back Aron Baynes?  (Read 2045 times)

Bring back Aron Baynes?
« on: May 21, 2018, 12:39:20 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
As most know, the contract situations are set up currently that just about the exact same team will be back next year.  There a few exceptions though, most notably being Smart.  I know there's been a lot of debate on what to pay him and rightfully so...but we haven't had a lot of Aron Baynes discussion either.

Statistically speaking, he's been one of the top defenders in the league all year, individually and within the team.  His rim protection and paint presence is exactly what this team needed.  It was like a breath of fresh air to see him roaming down there instead of Amir Johnson and Tyler Zeller.

But now the question becomes, what are you willing to pay him to make him stay?  Right now he makes $4.3 million on this one year deal and it wouldn't shock me all that much if he signs another 1 year deal for next season too.  Or maybe that's just my hope.  Anything outside of bringing this gang back together next year, this time with Irving and Hayward, just seems like a disappointment to me.

Re: Bring back Aron Baynes?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 12:41:20 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think he is an important piece to bring back.  The only real defensive size the team has.

But he is not worth breaking the bank for.   MLE level at most. 

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 12:54:12 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Totally agree we need him back.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 12:55:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think we need to retain him. Hopefully he’d settle for less than $6 million annually.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 12:56:26 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
If we can't upgrade him then keep him. I wish we had s mobile 7!footer but don't think they exist lol.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 01:32:01 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Definitely want him back. He will keep working on his 3pt shot and he really adds a different defensive dimension to this team.

He’s also the guy who can go from starter to supporter and be fine with it. He’s often the biggest cheerleader on the sidelines.

He seems pretty egoless (from the same cut as Smart), does whatever the team needs and is simply a great fit here.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 01:49:59 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I remember vaguely that we used the Room Exception to sign Baynes.. did we use the mid-level exception last year? Or did we lose it coz we were already over the cap.

In any case, if we go over the tax can we just use the tax-payer mid-level on him? Or if we can somehow sneak under the non-taxpayer mid?

Where the hell has saltlover gone recently?

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 01:53:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I remember vaguely that we used the Room Exception to sign Baynes.. did we use the mid-level exception last year? Or did we lose it coz we were already over the cap.

In any case, if we go over the tax can we just use the tax-payer mid-level on him?

Teams that use cap room, like we did last year, don’t get the MLE, only the room exception.

I believe we can use the full MLE this year, but if we do we’re hard-capped at the “apron”, which is $4 million above the tax line. If we’re worried about exceeding the apron, we’ll stick to the Taxpayer MLE.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 01:55:58 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think we absolutely bring him back.  His defense in the playoffs has been great.  I almost said he is the best def big man since KG, but Horford might be just a bit better on d based on the eye test only.

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 02:10:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

In any case, if we go over the tax can we just use the tax-payer mid-level on him?

Teams that use cap room, like we did last year, don’t get the MLE, only the room exception.

I believe we can use the full MLE this year, but if we do we’re hard-capped at the “apron”, which is $4 million above the tax line. If we’re worried about exceeding the apron, we’ll stick to the Taxpayer MLE.
Or hopefully he might take the 120% raise and settle for just $5.2 million so we can keep the Taxpayer MLE or regular MLE open

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 02:23:40 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Given how so many big man contracts have turned into awful deals teams are trying to dump I think they'll be able to retain him. I don't really think a team is going to go over the 5.2 per year mark for him.

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 02:26:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Or hopefully he might take the 120% raise and settle for just $5.2 million so we can keep the Taxpayer MLE or regular MLE open
The taxpayer MLE is just $5.4 million next year. So if we decide to go into the tax he shouldn't use up that exception.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 03:20:53 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I agree with others on the ~$5M number. Not only does it allow us to use the full MLE for a Smart replacement (should he leave), but it would also allow us to stay just under the luxury tax if Smart or another player signs a contract for around the MLE.

I can't imagine Danny is going to just barely go over the tax given where this team's finances are going to be the next several years. I suppose we could re-sign Smart, re-sign Baynes, and use the MLE, but I would consider that *really* going for it, not just slightly going over the tax.

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 03:43:30 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
He seems very happy here. seems like the kind of guy who might stay here even if he could get more elsewhere. hoping that comes true
  even with all our all star offense power potential next year w Hayward and Irving, i would like our chances a lot less if they lose Baynes.  Need big guys like that.

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 04:02:46 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I think he is an important piece to bring back.  The only real defensive size the team has.

But he is not worth breaking the bank for.   MLE level at most.
this may work. i dont know if baynes would take it. but i do know that ainge has a record of not overpaying for bench players.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva