Author Topic: Celtics (2-1) at Cavs (1-2) ECF Game #4 5/21/18  (Read 68767 times)

Re: Celtics (2-1) at Cavs (1-2) ECF Game #4 5/21/18
« Reply #1500 on: May 22, 2018, 08:24:35 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 627
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Can't count this as a W just because it is at home...this is the type of game LBJ has always stolen from the Cs

« Reply #1501 on: May 22, 2018, 09:20:07 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Heart says we win a close one, head says we lose by 8-14 points.

Lost by 9.  Head wins, unfortunately.  But head thinks we win game 5, and the series. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #1502 on: May 22, 2018, 11:44:19 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
Can't count this as a W just because it is at home...this is the type of game LBJ has always stolen from the Cs

yup.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #1503 on: May 22, 2018, 02:26:33 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
Pathetic effort for the second game in a row. Getting outworked and outhustled by guys that have been slugs all year like Korver, Hill and Thompson.
Many here fail to give the Cavs credit. They're playing well, hustling and still have LeBron. Their rebounding really gives the Celtics problems.
'

That might have a little something to do with them going big and us refusing to respond and staying small, all while switching everything and gifting them mismatches to exploit left and right.
I'd like to see someone ask Brad about that post game.
Let me repeat myself: Brad doesn't do adjustments! He needs three days to mull it over, because he's "cerebral". Unfortunately, an NBA game lasts 48 minutes so that's too bad for him...

I mean, that's the thing - it has clearly not been working the entire series and was amplified in game 3, yet there still was no adjustment!

It's inexcusable that we didn't make any adjustments to that for game 4 and allowed them to abuse us in mismatches due to this scheme.
Actually I think there were a lot of switches in Games 1 and 2 that worked pretty well and forced LeBron into bad shots. I don't mind the switches, just pack the paint and be ready to close out on shooters. You need effort from all 5 guys and it's going to work... except now you're perhaps getting effort from one guy. If that.

Yeah, switches with the swings or bigs (or Smart), which nobody is really complaining about, as they can hold their own.

The last two games they consistently tried to switch Rozier on either Lebron or the bigs, which clearly hasn't worked at all as that's just too much of a mismatch to overcome.

Wow. You are so missing this. The Celtics did not try to switch Rozier onto Lebron.  The Cavs are forcing the mismatch.  They aren't running a pick with Tatum's man.  They run the pick with George Hill. This isn't a question of Brad trying to put Rozier on Lebron, this is a question of the Cavs trying to create a mismatch.  Pretty much how all basketball teams work. This is basketball 101.

In fact, Brad made the adjustment with Horford as the help defender off of the switch when Jaylen had to make the switch, with Terry being forced to identify and close out on the open man.
That's not really true though. They're not forcing the switch at all. We are just refusing to fight through / go under the pick. Even Mark freakin' Jackson was picking up on this.

The Cavs are trying to force the mismatch, but we're letting them

The adjustment on the switch, without abandoning the switch, was made in the second half.  Boneheaded plays by Rozier and Smart cost us the game.  Not the switching.  It actually brought us back into the game.
Yeah, but at that stage we had been down by nearly 20 on numerous times, after getting scorched by Rozier on LeBron/TT. It was a bit late
You would've thought that we were at an advantage with rozier on lebron the way he was just forcing the switch. Rozier has done this all year. Instead of fighting through weak screens he switches onto the other guy way to early and without any resistance to the screen. There was one play last night where he ran back to his man after being screened and it was in the 4th qtr and was because smart yelled at him to get the freak back on his man.
Some of the stuff we've seen the past 2 games is just really simple basketball that our guys can't wrap their heads around. Pretty embarrassing
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #1504 on: May 22, 2018, 02:33:57 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
Questionable (abysmal) calls that went against us tonight:

Rozier gets fouled and hits layup and gets NO continuation like James ALWAYS gets and we get ball out on side.

George Hill literally SHOVED Rozier about 5 feet beyond the three point line with BOTH hands and NO call and he passes and then just looks at the ref like what the heck.

Jaylen get raked on arm by Korver (clearly seen on replay) on a layup/drive and NO call.

The announcers talk about Tatum missing a dunk but Nance hacked him on the wrist (ONCE again CLEAR as a bell on the replay).

George Hill knocks Tatum sideways and off balance on his jump shot from 14 feet and no call.

Those are just a few.

Smitty77
You're forgetting the Marcus Morris offensive because a Cav ran into his leg while shooting a three. A seldom called foul where during the season much, much worse stuff was continually called for the defender. Just a terrible call.

You'realso firgetting the call where the Cavs threw the ball out of bounds where it hit a ref but Cleveland somehow kept possession. Clearly a terrible call.

Thanks for refreshing my memory Nick!!  I do think Morris kicked out his leg and that was a foul, BUT he had released the ball PRIOR to that, therefore the three SHOULD have counted!!

Smitty77

Scott Foster and Bill Kennedy.  All that needs to be said.
Or the time when love clearly hits the ball out of bounds 3 feet in front of bill Kennedy and he still says Cavs ball. Everything about this game was laughable, our defense, our bbiq, the officiating. They didn't even seem to try and hide the biased calls against us because it was in Cleveland. Can't wait until wed and our fans can go berserk when they call that bs
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #1505 on: May 22, 2018, 08:24:46 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Pathetic effort for the second game in a row. Getting outworked and outhustled by guys that have been slugs all year like Korver, Hill and Thompson.
Many here fail to give the Cavs credit. They're playing well, hustling and still have LeBron. Their rebounding really gives the Celtics problems.
'

That might have a little something to do with them going big and us refusing to respond and staying small, all while switching everything and gifting them mismatches to exploit left and right.
Let me repeat myself: Brad doesn't do adjustments! He needs three days to mull it over, because he's "cerebral". Unfortunately, an NBA game lasts 48 minutes so that's too bad for him...

Your comment is spot on Koz.

Sometimes your greatest strength is also weakness.

Stevens looks more human now.

But he has three days until the next game  ;)

Next game is Wednesday. That's tomorrow. Unless you are talking dog years that is only one day from today.

I knew it was a lot but just read this...
Boston missed a staggering 15 dunks and layups overall.

lol good point hodgy but my concern is not the number of days.

« Reply #1506 on: May 22, 2018, 09:03:47 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
'

I mean, that's the thing - it has clearly not been working the entire series and was amplified in game 3, yet there still was no adjustment!

It's inexcusable that we didn't make any adjustments to that for game 4 and allowed them to abuse us in mismatches due to this scheme.
Actually I think there were a lot of switches in Games 1 and 2 that worked pretty well and forced LeBron into bad shots. I don't mind the switches, just pack the paint and be ready to close out on shooters. You need effort from all 5 guys and it's going to work... except now you're perhaps getting effort from one guy. If that.

Yeah, switches with the swings or bigs (or Smart), which nobody is really complaining about, as they can hold their own.

The last two games they consistently tried to switch Rozier on either Lebron or the bigs, which clearly hasn't worked at all as that's just too much of a mismatch to overcome.

Wow. You are so missing this. The Celtics did not try to switch Rozier onto Lebron.  The Cavs are forcing the mismatch.  They aren't running a pick with Tatum's man.  They run the pick with George Hill. This isn't a question of Brad trying to put Rozier on Lebron, this is a question of the Cavs trying to create a mismatch.  Pretty much how all basketball teams work. This is basketball 101.

In fact, Brad made the adjustment with Horford as the help defender off of the switch when Jaylen had to make the switch, with Terry being forced to identify and close out on the open man.
That's not really true though. They're not forcing the switch at all. We are just refusing to fight through / go under the pick. Even Mark freakin' Jackson was picking up on this.

The Cavs are trying to force the mismatch, but we're letting them

The adjustment on the switch, without abandoning the switch, was made in the second half.  Boneheaded plays by Rozier and Smart cost us the game.  Not the switching.  It actually brought us back into the game.
Yeah, but at that stage we had been down by nearly 20 on numerous times, after getting scorched by Rozier on LeBron/TT. It was a bit late
You would've thought that we were at an advantage with rozier on lebron the way he was just forcing the switch. Rozier has done this all year. Instead of fighting through weak screens he switches onto the other guy way to early and without any resistance to the screen. There was one play last night where he ran back to his man after being screened and it was in the 4th qtr and was because smart yelled at him to get the freak back on his man.
Some of the stuff we've seen the past 2 games is just really simple basketball that our guys can't wrap their heads around. Pretty embarrassing

so the celtics are stuck on stupid?? LOL
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #1507 on: May 23, 2018, 12:18:45 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148

« Reply #1508 on: May 24, 2018, 05:58:37 PM »

• Dennis Johnson