Author Topic: Celtics (2-1) at Cavs (1-2) ECF Game #4 5/21/18  (Read 69359 times)

Re: Celtics (2-1) at Cavs (1-2) ECF Game #4 5/21/18
« Reply #1470 on: May 21, 2018, 11:47:31 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Pathetic effort for the second game in a row. Getting outworked and outhustled by guys that have been slugs all year like Korver, Hill and Thompson.
Many here fail to give the Cavs credit. They're playing well, hustling and still have LeBron. Their rebounding really gives the Celtics problems.
'

That might have a little something to do with them going big and us refusing to respond and staying small, all while switching everything and gifting them mismatches to exploit left and right.
I'd like to see someone ask Brad about that post game.

Which part?

I'm more frustrated with the switching scheme than the staying small. I think that smaller lineup can still work against their bigger lineup if guys are hitting their shots, but that we kept up with the switching of Rozier on Bron and allowed single coverage for the vast majority of the last two games is just mind-boggling.
They asked him about it. He said the numbers say it's more effective to switch than not.

A) LOL

B) How do those numbers look after tonight?

C) It's not even like they were forcing most of the switches; we were walking into half of them and giving them what they wanted without a fight. That's not the "spirit" or the point of switching; you still try to fight through it as much as possible and only switch when necessary.

So frustrating. That just reeks of a coach that is too invested in his own scheme/what the "analytics" tell him to see the empirical evidence right in front of him that contradicts his style.

I dunno if it's Brad's fault if Brown doesn't fight past a screen to stay on LeBron and make sure Rozier isn't stuck with him. That's something Brown needs to learn. In the regular season you could bench him for that.

but now? It's too deep in the playoffs. And the team was at least somewhat unglued on the road again. The defensive focus isn't there like it will be once the young guys get more experience. Comes with the territory. But it should improve.
Tommy made an interesting point post game saying the switching makes it harder to keep Thompson off the boards because someone's always late finding him in time to box him out. Thompson killed them tonight - as he has in the past.

« Reply #1471 on: May 21, 2018, 11:48:22 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Pathetic effort for the second game in a row. Getting outworked and outhustled by guys that have been slugs all year like Korver, Hill and Thompson.
Many here fail to give the Cavs credit. They're playing well, hustling and still have LeBron. Their rebounding really gives the Celtics problems.
'

That might have a little something to do with them going big and us refusing to respond and staying small, all while switching everything and gifting them mismatches to exploit left and right.

Which part?

I'm more frustrated with the switching scheme than the staying small. I think that smaller lineup can still work against their bigger lineup if guys are hitting their shots, but that we kept up with the switching of Rozier on Bron and allowed single coverage for the vast majority of the last two games is just mind-boggling.
They asked him about it. He said the numbers say it's more effective to switch than not.

A) LOL

C) It's not even like they were forcing most of the switches; we were walking into half of them and giving them what they wanted without a fight. That's not the "spirit" or the point of switching; you still try to fight through it as much as possible and only switch when necessary.

So frustrating. That just reeks of a coach that is too invested in his own scheme/what the "analytics" tell him to see the empirical evidence right in front of him that contradicts his style.

I dunno if it's Brad's fault if Brown doesn't fight past a screen to stay on LeBron and make sure Rozier isn't stuck with him. That's something Brown needs to learn. In the regular season you could bench him for that.

but now? It's too deep in the playoffs. And the team was at least somewhat unglued on the road again. The defensive focus isn't there like it will be once the young guys get more experience. Comes with the territory. But it should improve.
Tommy made an interesting point post game saying the switching makes it harder to keep Thompson off the boards because someone's always late finding him in time to box him out. Thompson killed them tonight - as he has in the past.

The guy that seems like he has changed the series is Tristan Thompson.  He is just a celtic killer with the off rebounding, def plays, garbage offense.  13 points and 12 boards for him tonight.  I don't see WHY we don't bring Baynes in to counter him?  Horford for whatever reason has trouble with TT on him. 

For game 5, bring Baynes in to start.  Let Brown start on Lebron (especially at home he will do better on D against him).  Let Morris and smart come in early as the first two off the bench (Rozier and Tatum to the bench).  Stay big in the lane.  Stay attached to their other guys and don't let them have easy shots.  Lebron is going to score 40 on whomever guards him, it almost doesn't matter.  Stop the other guys from beating us like we did in games 1 and 2.

« Reply #1472 on: May 21, 2018, 11:49:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Questionable (abysmal) calls that went against us tonight:

Rozier gets fouled and hits layup and gets NO continuation like James ALWAYS gets and we get ball out on side.

George Hill literally SHOVED Rozier about 5 feet beyond the three point line with BOTH hands and NO call and he passes and then just looks at the ref like what the heck.

Jaylen get raked on arm by Korver (clearly seen on replay) on a layup/drive and NO call.

The announcers talk about Tatum missing a dunk but Nance hacked him on the wrist (ONCE again CLEAR as a bell on the replay).

George Hill knocks Tatum sideways and off balance on his jump shot from 14 feet and no call.

Those are just a few.

Smitty77
You're forgetting the Marcus Morris offensive because a Cav ran into his leg while shooting a three. A seldom called foul where during the season much, much worse stuff was continually called for the defender. Just a terrible call.

You'realso firgetting the call where the Cavs threw the ball out of bounds where it hit a ref but Cleveland somehow kept possession. Clearly a terrible call.

« Reply #1473 on: May 21, 2018, 11:50:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The announcers talk about Tatum missing a dunk but Nance hacked him on the wrist (ONCE again CLEAR as a bell on the replay).

George Hill knocks Tatum sideways and off balance on his jump shot from 14 feet and no call.
Sorry, neither of these actually happened except in Jayson Tatum's mind.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1474 on: May 21, 2018, 11:51:10 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Missed dunks, layups and free throws. We could have won that game.

« Reply #1475 on: May 21, 2018, 11:51:26 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Problem with Brown on LeBron is Brown is already committing dumb fouls. Covering LeBron he would foul out in 3 quarter

« Reply #1476 on: May 21, 2018, 11:54:31 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
'

Which part?

A) LOL

Yep.

He's made a career out of it. The tradeoff on any switch is potential weakness on other parts of the court.

Though IMO Thompson doesn't create the mismatches, he benefits from them.

I don't know if there's any perfect answer for that. TT literally is looking for offensive rebounds 90% of the time.

The downside for the Cavs is that he does little else. If we play better initial D it makes it a lot tougher for him to exploit us.

« Reply #1477 on: May 21, 2018, 11:54:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Missed dunks, layups and free throws. We could have won that game.
Yeah, I don't know what the breakdown is but the Cs from inside 5 feet were atrocious.

« Reply #1478 on: May 21, 2018, 11:54:44 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
'

Which part?

A) LOL

The guy that seems like he has changed the series is Tristan Thompson.  He is just a celtic killer with the off rebounding, def plays, garbage offense.  13 points and 12 boards for him tonight.  I don't see WHY we don't bring Baynes in to counter him?  Horford for whatever reason has trouble with TT on him. 

For game 5, bring Baynes in to start.  Let Brown start on Lebron (especially at home he will do better on D against him).  Let Morris and smart come in early as the first two off the bench (Rozier and Tatum to the bench).  Stay big in the lane.  Stay attached to their other guys and don't let them have easy shots.  Lebron is going to score 40 on whomever guards him, it almost doesn't matter.  Stop the other guys from beating us like we did in games 1 and 2.
I agree with you. I think you go with the assumption that the Smith's Hill's etc aren't gong to shoot nearly as well in Boston and pack the lane to keep Thompson (hopefully) off the boards.

« Reply #1479 on: May 21, 2018, 11:56:04 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Right, because the Achilles heel of a "switch everything" "defense" is that you'll often wind up getting destroyed on da boards, thereby making Love and Thompson the perfect players to exploit this glaring weakness. Dudes might as well have been made for it, lol.

« Reply #1480 on: May 21, 2018, 11:58:29 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Questionable (abysmal) calls that went against us tonight:

Rozier gets fouled and hits layup and gets NO continuation like James ALWAYS gets and we get ball out on side.

George Hill literally SHOVED Rozier about 5 feet beyond the three point line with BOTH hands and NO call and he passes and then just looks at the ref like what the heck.

Jaylen get raked on arm by Korver (clearly seen on replay) on a layup/drive and NO call.

Those are just a few.

Smitty77
You're forgetting the Marcus Morris offensive because a Cav ran into his leg while shooting a three. A seldom called foul where during the season much, much worse stuff was continually called for the defender. Just a terrible call.

You'realso firgetting the call where the Cavs threw the ball out of bounds where it hit a ref but Cleveland somehow kept possession. Clearly a terrible call.

Thanks for refreshing my memory Nick!!  I do think Morris kicked out his leg and that was a foul, BUT he had released the ball PRIOR to that, therefore the three SHOULD have counted!!

Smitty77

« Reply #1481 on: May 21, 2018, 11:59:04 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Al Horford: "I don't think (the Cavs) are playing any different."

I agree, Al. We are better and can win this.

« Reply #1482 on: May 21, 2018, 11:59:43 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
http://twitter.com/johnschuhmann/status/998773775234686976

“Baynes + Horford: + 10 in 10.2 minutes tonight.

I’ll just repurpose my ‘The Celtics need a lineup change’ story for Game 5.”

Brad’s pre-game conference before Game 5: “We’re sticking with the same starters.”  ::)

« Reply #1483 on: May 22, 2018, 12:02:38 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Brad’s pre-game conference before Game 5: “We’re sticking with the same starters.”  ::)

I feel like I am the only one sitting in the corner saying start Baynes...play Baynes more.
maybe it just feels like that lol

« Reply #1484 on: May 22, 2018, 12:04:05 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

I feel like I am the only one sitting in the corner saying start Baynes...play Baynes more.
maybe it just feels like that lol

Same, lol ;D.