Author Topic: Durant... amazing how one player just upended the competition  (Read 7271 times)

Re: Durant... amazing how one player just upended the competition
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2018, 01:01:26 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
last year's playoffs were a joke, this year's playoffs, if there wasn't for the celtics, would have been a joke. only a few really good matchups.

durrant move is spineless, he is not a winner and a competitor. Boston was a perfect place for him, a young team, cap space, great cocach, horford, crowd etc. his legacy would have been real here, instead he choose a 73 win team. disgusting

snake
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2018, 01:19:24 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
all those that think this is simply about him going to a team of his choice are ignoring the ‘cap manipulating aspect’ of taking less money to build the super team....the league can definitely and should stop that.

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2018, 01:57:12 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Honestly, Durant can go on to win 5 rings, but no one will care. No one will respect it.

As much as I despise Lebron, his 1 ring with Cleveland will be worth more than any and all rings Durant wins in his career as a Warrior.

Might sound harsh, but that's how I feel about it, and I'm sure many do. Weakest move in NBA History as of today. If Lebron joins Golden State, then that would become the weakest  :P

I think that's the difference between LeBum and KD - LeBum wants to be THE MAN, he wants the responsibility of being the one that molds a team. I think KD is more comfortable being one of the men. He's not the type of person who will take a team and mold it in his image.

Oh right, that's why he went to Miami ::).

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2018, 03:23:43 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Honestly, Durant can go on to win 5 rings, but no one will care. No one will respect it.

As much as I despise Lebron, his 1 ring with Cleveland will be worth more than any and all rings Durant wins in his career as a Warrior.

Might sound harsh, but that's how I feel about it, and I'm sure many do. Weakest move in NBA History as of today. If Lebron joins Golden State, then that would become the weakest  :P

I think that's the difference between LeBum and KD - LeBum wants to be THE MAN, he wants the responsibility of being the one that molds a team. I think KD is more comfortable being one of the men. He's not the type of person who will take a team and mold it in his image.

Oh right, that's why he went to Miami ::).
Huh? LeBron definitely was the man on that team, and he definitely contributed to the shape of that team
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2018, 06:37:13 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
And one more thing. It is unfair to say that the warriors are this good because of durrant. They would have been this good even without him.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2018, 06:52:35 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
They would have been this good even without him.

How can you say this with a straight face, it is patently absurd.

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2018, 07:05:44 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
While Durant didn't do anything against the rules, he broke the spirit of what makes sports so fun to watch in the first place.  The Warriors with Curry, Thompson, Green, and Barnes would have remained a perennial title contender, if not the favorite.  Durant could have also been firmly in the mix if he had chosen Boston or the Clippers.  Maybe fate would have prevented San Antonio from falling apart as quickly.  The New Orleans Pelicans would have also had an opportunity to contend more quickly.

The entire dynamic of the NBA playoffs would have been more interesting.  We are extremely fortunate to be Celtics fans.  What other up and coming team has a realistic chance to push the Warriors hard in the near future?  Most fan bases in the Western Conference know that their title hopes are slim to none for the considerable future.

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2018, 07:15:02 AM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
And one more thing. It is unfair to say that the warriors are this good because of durrant. They would have been this good even without him.

Your first point you made I generally agree with, I hated his decision...but to say the Warriors would be just as good without him, I just don't see it.  Would they still be the favorites?  Most likely.  But having two top 5 players on your team instead of 1 is what takes them to another level.

You look back at that move now, Durant going to Golden State essentially shut down the NBA for a few years.  Just think, if you take Durant off the Warriors and put him on literally any other team, the league would be SO much better for it and so much more wide open.

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2018, 07:25:55 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Your first point you made I generally agree with, I hated his decision...but to say the Warriors would be just as good without him, I just don't see it.  Would they still be the favorites?  Most likely.  But having two top 5 players on your team instead of 1 is what takes them to another level.

You look back at that move now, Durant going to Golden State essentially shut down the NBA for a few years.  Just think, if you take Durant off the Warriors and put him on literally any other team, the league would be SO much better for it and so much more wide open.

Durant's move literally ruins the entire dynamic of team building for the majority of organizations and players.  Moves that would give teams hope in previous years are now only good enough to MAYBE get to the Conference Finals in the West.

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2018, 07:43:07 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
all those that think this is simply about him going to a team of his choice are ignoring the ‘cap manipulating aspect’ of taking less money to build the super team....the league can definitely and should stop that.

Kevin Durant, "cap manipulator." Riiiiggghhhhhtttt.

And what exactly should the NBA do to stop people from taking a lower salary for a better job? How would that work? There is no possible method for such a thing.

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2018, 07:52:18 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
level in the league..the NBA should have found a way to nix him signing with GSW...At the time he signed it seemed they did not need him, but looks like they would be ‘human’ without him. For those who think the league shouldn’t interfere what if Kebron signs with GSW after this season.

Yeesh, I have to say I disagree with all of this.

1. No, the league should not have "found a way to nix" Durant signing with GSW.  They had cap space, Durant was a free agent, and all parties involved played by the rules.  GSW was both lucky and smart, but nothing they did was unfair.

2. GSW had just lost in the Finals, and one could argue it was the signing of Durant that made the difference between them beating losing to the Cavs or beating them.  The year GSW beat the Cavs, the Cavs were without both Irving and Love during the Finals.  So, in that regard, GSW did in fact need Durant.

3. If LeBron wants to sign with GSW, I see no reason the league should interfere, as long as neither side does anything against the rules.  Free agents are free to sign with whichever team they want, for any salary the rules allow for.  The players union might protest if LeBron did something like take the minimum, but if he really wanted to press the matter there is nothing anyone can, or should, do (aside from mocking him).

I absolutely respect Durant for choosing to ditch Westbrook and join a team that actually plays as a team.  And as I said above, Durant was the difference between GSW losing to a healthy Cavs team the year before without him, and then beating them once he came along.  He earned his Finals MVP.
if “all sides followed the rules” is the only condition needed to withhold nixing deals, why did David stern veto the “cp3 to the lakers” deal? The deal happened and the commissioner used his power to end the deal.

Because they own the Hornets at that time. He nixed it as a team owner, not as the commissioner. If Wyc felt Danny made a wrong move, he have the power to nix it too.

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2018, 08:01:54 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

And what exactly should the NBA do to stop people from taking a lower salary for a better job? How would that work? There is no possible method for such a thing.

Agree with Boris. Are people who are against the KD move saying that if Kyrie or one of the Jays decide to take a pay cut so the Cs can keep a superteam together they will be against it?

I’ve wondered whether a player might decide they’ll do just fine if they drop a little salary to be on a better team that can win titles, figuring they’ll make it up with the extra endorsements.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 08:09:03 AM by Sophomore »

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2018, 08:12:38 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Agree with Boris. Are people who are against the KD move saying that if Kyrie or one of the Jays decide to do that so the Cs can keep a superteam together they will be against it?

I’ve wondered whether a player might decide they’ll do just fine if they drop a little salary to be on a better team that can win titles, figuring they’ll make it up with the extra endorsements.

Right.

I mean, there are two things wrong there. One is the moral indignation about players choosing winning over money, which is just...insane.

And two, there is absolutely no practical way to implement such an idea, which you've just scratched the surface of. It's nonsense.

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2018, 08:30:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Agree with Boris. Are people who are against the KD move saying that if Kyrie or one of the Jays decide to do that so the Cs can keep a superteam together they will be against it?

Right.

I mean, there are two things wrong there. One is the moral indignation about players choosing winning over money, which is just...insane.

And two, there is absolutely no practical way to implement such an idea, which you've just scratched the surface of. It's nonsense.
I've long been talking about the NBA counting all max contracts the same against the cap and for the purposes of that rule deeming a max contract some percentage within the actual max.  Now Durant took enough of a discount that it wouldn't have mattered, but that is very rare. 

What I mean, is that there are currently 3 separate max contracts based on years of service, 25%, 30%, and 35%.  I think for purposes of the salary cap, the league should count all max contracts at 30%.  The team has to pay the player the actual salary, but when determining cap space, everyone is 30% (I think you could count the actual for luxury tax purposes if that was a problem for teams).  I'd count any contract that is within some percentage of the maximum as a max contract so a player couldn't take a slightly less than max contract and game the system.  That rule would benefit older teams and punish younger teams, but I think overall it would provide for a more balanced system.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2018, 09:35:58 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The league should never have agreed to the cap spike.  They could've stopped this. It was the cap spike that made this possible.

Neither Golden State nor Durant did anything wrong.

But it is silly that a championship caliber team was able to add an MVP caliber player in his prime without giving up hardly anything.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain